Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

summer signing suggestions ?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

who do ya'll think we should and could sign this summer ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

a left side midfielder but not downeing. modric is playing well out there but he is not a wide midfielder wont take on a full back. bale for me has been disappointing this year so on this season alone that poaition is not for him

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

The centre half off Fulham is v good, Haangeland .

A top central player to play with Palacios...not sure who though.

If boro go down, id say we are a cert to go after Downing.

Can we make a left full out of BAE or Bale, we shall see.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 dmcevoy24

good call hatch that central back would be a great signing

dont really need another centre back though do we? if king is to be as fit as they are saying with woodgate and dawson add to that corluka!!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

downing playing great this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭noker

Think if Haangeland leaves he will go to one of the big four or City.

McGeady would be a good signing.

Is anyone else worried that we are still looking at strikers like Millito. He is a good player but team would really benefit from giving our two best strikers time to get a good understanding. Money could then be spent elsewhere

noker wrote: »
    Think if Haangeland leaves he will go to one of the big four or City.

McGeady would be a good signing.

Is anyone else worried that we are still looking at strikers like Millito. He is a good player but team would really benefit from giving our two best strikers time to get a good understanding. Money could then be spent elsewhere

Yep i mentioned mcgeady 12 months ago on this board, id love to see him on the opposite flank to lennon.

The Millito talk is rubbish id say, particularly for the money they are talking, he's nearly 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dont think we need another major overhaul,
    A left sided player... Downing the obvious candidate,
    A central midfielder to control the game, no idea who though... Xavi ideally!!!!
    Possibly a target man to complement Keane/Defoe since Harry doesnt seem to rate Bent or Pavlyuchenko.

Candidates to fund our annual spree... Bentley, Bent/Pav, Huddlestone

yes i suppose thats a could call re center situation. but the likely hood is king will miss more games and is corluka rated !! he doesnt fill me with confidence at all , a tad clumsy !! although to give him some credot he had a great cup final and played well against chelsea

if we sold jenas, bentley, pav, bent, bale, zokora, that would raise around 50 million

hopefully arry would look at signing glen johnson, downing, another center back and a big target man ( maybe berba for 10 million as he's playing ****e for manu )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wholesale change will be suicidal, we need a settled squad for once, a few new arrivals to provide competition would be nice, but other than the left hand side I don't see anywhere that I'd be happy to see new arrivals unless they were of CL quality, and that is unlikely to happen.

Jenas will be going nowhere now that he and Palacios have developed an understanding. If Bent goes, Pavlyuchenko will/should stay and vice versa.

Ideally I'd like to see us stick with out current starting XI and add a few options to the bench, a left footed Lennon would be lovely, as would a young striker as #4. We don't offer enough from the bench IMO, Hudd/O'Hara/Zokora cannot change a game, though the latter two have a place in our squad.

If we bring 5 in and let 5 go it will be October before we get into any sort of rhythm, and we'll be lamenting a sh1t start to the season this time next year.

• Advertisement

agreed in relation to squad overhall but out of jenas, bentley, pav, bent, bale, zokora who would you have in your first 11 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

dmcevoy24 wrote: »
    agreed in relation to squad overhall but out of jenas, bentley, pav, bent, bale, zokora who would you have in your first 11 ?

Jenas and one of Bent/Pav. Bentley if Lennon is injured or loses form for any reason, but he'd need a pacy left-winger to occupy the opposition and allow him some space to work in.

If Redknapp wants players gone then so be it, but I'm not going to be calling for players heads at least until after he has a chance to have a full pre-season with the likes of Bale and Pavlyuchenko. The Russian in particular needs a break, he's adjusting to a new style of football and he's not had a proper break from the game since before the Euros...yet he still has 13 goals in 31 appearances, I think that shows promise.

There's no point shipping players out for the sake of it, if you can think of better options who would come to us then I'm all ears, as for the others who'll be on our bench we need to remember we'll likely have 50 games to play next year, the likes of Zokora are great players to have in a squad as they can fill a number of roles.

yeah thats a good shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

would be interested in seeing zhirkov the russian winger at spurs. had a great euros. havent really heard anything bout him since then but i remember i was really impressed with him,pav and arshavin. and if city don't want petrov when he comes back from injury id easily take him.

BAE has been outstanding @ left back. if bale doesnt make the step up by the end of the season id say cheerio. Id like another centre mid that would turn things around. van der vaart would have been a dream signing but looks like hes going to chelski.

i tink the rest of the team doesnt really need improving. gomes is finally coming good. right and centre backs are solid as i right mid wit bentley and lenno. upfront should be okay IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I agree a LM should be our main objective for the summer.

Other then that I'd have to agree with therecklessone abit of stability to our starting xi would be great.

I can see Pav out the door in the summer, I would like a target man maybe even Crouch if the price was right but it wont be cause he's english.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

The key thing is at least we know who's picking and buying the players. At Christmas, Harry may have seemed to pay a little over the odds for Palacios, but he knew he wanted him, and it's started pretty good, I would think. I agree that we shouldn't turn over the squad. Every week we seem to come up against former players who seem as good as what we have. Only buy an obviously better player than is in the squad. Look at Dawson and BAE's improvement over the last year -it's called coaching. Bale, Hudd, O Hara, I'd like Harry to weed through these options, as Gio Gunther, Taarabt, (Broadway) Danny Rose, Dervitte etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Wholesale change will be suicidal, we need a settled squad for once, a few new arrivals to provide competition would be nice, but other than the left hand side I don't see anywhere that I'd be happy to see new arrivals unless they were of CL quality, and that is unlikely to happen.

Jenas will be going nowhere now that he and Palacios have developed an understanding. If Bent goes, Pavlyuchenko will/should stay and vice versa.

Ideally I'd like to see us stick with out current starting XI and add a few options to the bench, a left footed Lennon would be lovely, as would a young striker as #4. We don't offer enough from the bench IMO, Hudd/O'Hara/Zokora cannot change a game, though the latter two have a place in our squad.
    If we bring 5 in and let 5 go it will be October before we get into any sort of rhythm, and we'll be lamenting a sh1t start to the season this time next year.

Firstly, let me say that I am not an apologist for Huddlestone.
    I cannot believe that any Spurs supporter who believes in stylish play could even consider the sale of Huddlestone!
    His latent talent is significant, he finds sublime passes and has a hell of a shot on him.
    I've heard all the "he's too slow", "he can't turn" arguments and would just like to remind all that Hoddle was never considered to be the greatest tackler in the world (When a pathetic reporter suggested, to Brian Clough, many years ago that Hoddle was a luxury, Clough replied that he'd love such a luxury in his team)
    I would have thought that Harry will give Huddlestone more chances next season assuming Palacios/Zakora is/are positioned to provide defensive cover.

On another site, I suggested that I would far rather see Spurs playing with style, panache and skill (Blanchflower, remember him?)in the loss to Arsenal 4-5 at home in 2007 than see us scrape the 0-1 away win at Goodison some years ago where we were totally outplayed for 90 mins.

*Waits for the 'it's all about results' responses.....No, NOT always!

As for answering the question, Downing has been playing exceptionally well in a very poor side - I'd like to see him at Spurs but not at a Bentley/Bent inflated fee.
    (Mind you, I'd love to see Harry sell those two for loadsamoney!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

BOLT wrote: »
    Firstly, let me say that I am not an apologist for Huddlestone.
    I cannot believe that any Spurs supporter who believes in stylish play could even consider the sale of Huddlestone!
    His latent talent is significant, he finds sublime passes and has a hell of a shot on him.
    I've heard all the "he's too slow", "he can't turn" arguments and would just like to remind all that Hoddle was never considered to be the greatest tackler in the world (When a pathetic reporter suggested, to Brian Clough, many years ago that Hoddle was a luxury, Clough replied that he'd love such a luxury in his team)
    I would have thought that Harry will give Huddlestone more chances next season assuming Palacios/Zakora is/are positioned to provide defensive cover.

Harry Redknapp has reassured Tom Huddlestone that he is a 'big part' of Tottenham Hotspur's future.

Huddlestone has barely featured for Spurs since the January signing of Honduran midfielder Wilson Palacios from Wigan Athletic.

The England Under 21 international has expressed his frustration at the situation and is unsure if he has a future at White Hart Lane.

However, Redknapp believes Huddlestone has a role to play and has urged the former Derby youngster to fight for his place.

"I see him being a big part of the future as I see he has great talent," said Redknapp.

"I understand his [frustration]. He and Michael Dawson want to play all the time. He is unlucky not to play every week as when he has played he has been fantastic.

"But if we are going to keep pushing on and to be a bigger, better club then you need that squad and competition for places."

Fantastic

Redknapp believes Huddlestone's passing ability can be likened to that of Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle, but he wants the 22-year-old to be more vocal on the pitch.

"He has the fantastic playing ability like Hoddle, to spray the ball all over the park," Redknapp added.

"If he is as good as Glenn he will be a great player as Glenn was fantastic.

"Sometimes he has to boss a game more. He is like a quarter-back, he can deliver a pass on a sixpence from 40 yards with his left foot or right foot. He can put people in, he has the talent to do that.

"But he has to keep getting the ball and sometimes he does not demand the ball enough and he does not take the game by the scruff of the neck.

"I said this morning to him he has to get at people. If they don't give it to him, he has to tell them 'Give me the ball. I am a better passer than you. You get it, give it to me and I will deliver the passes'."

BOLT wrote: »
    On another site, I suggested that I would far rather see Spurs playing with style, panache and skill (Blanchflower, remember him?)in the loss to Arsenal 4-5 at home in 2007 than see us scrape the 0-1 away win at Goodison some years ago where we were totally outplayed for 90 mins.

*Waits for the 'it's all about results' responses.....No, NOT always!

I'm sorry my friend but that is Bull****, It is always about the results no one is going to remember in 20 years how a game is won or lost but only what the final score was. If you offered me wining the league and we scrape 35wins 1-0 I wouldn't give a monkeys.

It may go against history but if we are successful then so be it IMO

Of course in a perfect world I would have both.

• Advertisement

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm sorry my friend but that is Bull****, It is always about the results no one is going to remember in 20 years how a game is won or lost but only what the final score was. If you offered me wining the league and we scrape 35wins 1-0 I wouldn't give a monkeys.

We'll have to agree to disagree, if I was happy with scraping undeserved 1-0 victories, I should have supported the Arse!
    But I'll agree with your last statement....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I would have to agree with Ziedth on this,i dont get to see West Brom very often but according to all reports they are playing nice football every game they go out,but
    look where they are,when Ossie was in charge of spurs they were a great attacking team but we all know where that was heading.it seems to me that the teams that constantly win things mostly grind out results.but as you say a good mix of both would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Niko Kranjcar could make his way to the lane after saying he wanted to move to a bigger club and he's a pretty decent midfielder good at free kicks to.

Niko Kranjcar could make his way to the lane after saying he wanted to move to a bigger club and he's a pretty decent midfielder good at free kicks to.

I always liked Kranjcar, He can play across the Pitch Right?

I always liked Kranjcar, He can play across the Pitch Right?

Too similar to Modric for me, and Id take Modric every day ahead of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭neilisagam

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Too similar to Modric for me, and Id take Modric every day ahead of him.
    dont really tink so. he plays centre mid for croatia with modric either left mid or behind the strikers. i tink hed be a good signing in centre mid with palacios.

in some of the taploids weve been linked with zaki......mido all over again or a gud signing????

neilisagam wrote: »
    in some of the taploids weve been linked with zaki......mido all over again or a gud signing????

I would give him a shot he seemed useful. I doubt Harry would take any of his **** mind.

dont think he would be a good buy as far as im concerned. do we really need another mediocre striker

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

I dont think another massive spending is in order! after all it was only that lawyer comolloli who was makin all these signings never ramos or Jol, not signing the players we needed. i.e.defensive centre mid, i.e palacious!

Anyways, i'd like to see the main squad kept, just trim off the nobodies, rocha, gunter, boateng, tarabt, gilberto!

But i dont see why sell pav (13/31 games in his 1st season),

bent (15/39 in his 1st season where he has gotten a fair run, which got him a call into england squad).

As far as selling BAE (solid left back, decent defender, which is what is main job is to,DEFEND!)

bently(horrible passing, horrible crossing, but at blackburn the season before, he was immense. Was a big fan. So i'd like to give him time to see what he can do, because he can be a lethal player imo)

Hudd (unreal passer, only young fella with plenty of time to improve/move faster:p)

gomes(doing great for us now!)

These are good players, that would probably start/appear regularly in teams around us in mid-table. We cant go selling someone everytime they put in a couple of bad performances, especially after splashin millions on them only a couple of months back like we are some kinda champions league team, because we damn well arent playin the CL!Maybe if we get to that stage, well that'll be a different story!

Sorry, bit of a rant there! Left winger i think is what all spurs fan think we need! Downing would be decent, Mcgeady possibly is another option too! My mentions would be Duff with newcastle possibly going down! He's a great winger, when he's not injured! And Richardson at sundarland too!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

I reckon it might be worth enquiring whether Diarra will be avai8lable at all when Real bring in a new boss next summer. Diarra and Palacios in the middle of midfield...bye bye soft-touch Spurs.

Advertisement