Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deportation case mother had fake baby death papers, inquiry told

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

pauljj66 wrote: »
    out out out out out out out out now

Banned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If it turns out she's a cheating conwoman like thousands of unsuccesful applicants before her why should we pay the airfare home?
    Stick her in mountjoy sewing mailbags at 1 euro an hour until she's paid her way home...make her work for all the money she's cost us AND award legal costs against her.

Maybe word will get back to nigeria to stop trying thier luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

walshb wrote: »
    Talk about scraping the barrel!

You know and we all know the implications of this
    quote. She has been found out!

It's an accusation. Nothing more. You know how it goes.
    marcsignal wrote: »
    political asylum: "Sanctuary given by one country to a citizen of another to protect that person from arrest or persecution".*

Persecution... exactly :) Doesn't always have to do with war and dictators. I wouldn't call this case a domestic barney either... quite serious actually.

i don't reply to personal insults, sorry, and your over indulgence in rolleyes only tells me your back is to the wall[/quotes]

Was just expressing my fustration. I didn't insult you.

easy, it's the basis of your entire argument

Not at all, I don't believe that we should be looking after the worlds problems, but when someone comes to our country seeking asylum, that makes it our problem. Even as it stands now, it is still our problem. Will be for some time I guess.

and so sure you are of this fact, that the Irish Courts disagree with you TWICE.

They have been known to make an arse of things in the past. To er is human.
    The first duty of any government is the protection of its citizens.
    i.e. It is the Nigerian Governments duty to ensure Pamelas Mother in Law doesn't go unpunished if she runs amok with the cigar cutter.

in the meantime, my 1st pint is getting warm, and boards+booze aren't good bedfellows, so any further points you wish to raise will be addressed tomorrow. ;)

Sure thing :) I agree that her mother in law is not our problem, nor should it ever be, unless she knocks on our door to seek asylum, for some reason. :P
    Degsy wrote: »
    If it turns out she's a cheating conwoman like thousands of unsuccesful applicants before her why should we pay the airfare home?
    Stick her in mountjoy sewing mailbags at 1 euro an hour until she's paid her way home...make her work for all the money she's cost us AND award legal costs against her.

This would cost us even more money.

As she was successful in her home country, maybe she should pay the expenses, but how do you go about retreiving this cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I don't know. I've been in the 'joy. The food is great.
    Ok, i was only there for a couple of hours, but it didn't seem that bad and I was top dog within minutes.

Pretending to be insane in a holding cell with only two other guys in it works quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I blame her only partially.

I put more blame on the legal team, sucking up taxpayer money with appeal after appeal.
    The decision of the Supreme Court of Ireland was obviously wrong so they needed to take it to Europe. :rolleyes:

Barristers can earn over 1k a day and while I don't know how much this legal team has cost, I doubt they are doing it for free.

Pamela is getting advice to appeal. I'd say the lawyers knew this case cannot be won but sure why not appeal if it means extra fees.

And finally, if these lawyers are doing this pro bono, it's still clogging up court time, lawyers for the State and many others associated costs.

People are entitled to a day in court and possibly and an appeal if there is relevent evidence.
    Not countless fecking appeals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

:eek: What a bloodbath!

It's like everytime someone walks through the doorway, there's a mod with a banhammer ready to clock them.

So did she have a child or not, and was the record forged? And did she come here with her husband via a UK holiday visa as the UK Times says, or did she get her via a traffiker as she claims

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

Taxpayers' bill for legal battle passes €400,000

TAXPAYERS have forked out an estimated €400,000 so far in legal costs as a result of the fight by Nigerian mother Pamela Izevbekhai to prevent her deportation....

The estimated €400,000 costs include legal fees for representation on behalf of the State, outlays and VAT, but do not include costs incurred by Mrs Izevbekhai's side.

They also exclude asylum costs that have been building up since she made an application for asylum status in January 2005 and the financing of a major investigation by the gardai and the immigration authorities into her asylum history and her claims about female genital mutilation.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/taxpayers-bill--for-legal-battle-passes-8364400000-1689593.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Dublin1600 wrote: »
    Taxpayers' bill for legal battle passes €400,000

To put this in perspective, it is almost as much as two TD's cost the state a year.

Personally I can think of more than 2 TD's I'd like to deport off the top of my head.

Not saying this person shouldn't be deported or that this wasn't a waste of money (although you can probably question the figure a little given it won't pay the paper to give a conservative figure, could be rounded up from 350,001 euro but still a lot of money) but compared to our 20 billion deficit, saying export her she's costing us a fortune does not really add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if a citizen of this state was was to defraud the social welfare or the revenue
    commissioners for that amount they would be jailed if they could not repay it,
    if this woman is guilty the same should apply to her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

400 grand is pocket change compared to some of the tribunals we've had, and they never result in any punishments being handed out.
    I say open the floodgates and let the star bellied sneeches deal with the ensuing anarchy :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

As i've said before this whole geniatl mutilation thing is a con-job.
    Nobody has it done without the mothers consent so anybody who uses it as an excuse to avoid deportation is a liar.

Why is she still here?The lefty,busybody,know-nothing Irish Pc brigade have fought her corner even though she's costing THEM money with her bullshiit appeals.
    Throw her and her brood out of the country and the wanky apologists along with her.

Agree 100% well said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Can we just end this and get her out of the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭carlybabe1

As i've said before this whole geniatl mutilation thing is a con-job.
    Nobody has it done without the mothers consent so anybody who uses it as an excuse to avoid deportation is a liar.

This is a rediculious statement, if you read any anthropological papers of any tribes in africa you will know that the mothers do not give consent, their permission is not required (google it)

What makes it a con job as a matter of interest? Is it that you dont believe it happens, or do you think its like getting your clit pierced, the kind of thing you do if you want to be different?

As for the doctor, maybe yis should read todays paper, he made a statement and signed it a few years ago to that he did try to save the baby but she bled to death. He has since changed his story and there is speculation that it was under duress for the army in africa

Are you on drugs? :pac: Wake up and smell the coffee. 400,000 euro that could have been used on genuine causes!:eek:

Mayor made chieftain in Nigerian hometown (But he claims he was forced to leave for reasons of religious persecution)

The Mayor of Portlaoise Cllr Rotimi Adebari was made an honorary chieftain of his hometown of Okeodan in Nigeria during a recent trip home.
    Mayor Adebari had returned to Nigeria with his wife Ibironke on the sad occasion of the funeral of her father last month.
    While there he was approached by town officials and informed that His Royal Highness King Alaycluwa Oba Oluwarotimi Fagbenro and representatives of the Ogun State Government and the town Chief Lere Bamgboye wished to hold a ceremony in his honour on his achievement of becoming Mayor of Portlaoise. Over 1,000 people attended the ceremony, which was held in the town’s market square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Here we go again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

It is one of racism.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    That is the word most used by certain people when they're not happy with the way thier argument is going.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Typical lefty rubbish.

I find it somewhat interesting that the people who complain about over-use and mis-use of the term 'racist' are usually the same people who sprinkle all their posts with a generous helping of 'pc brigade' and 'bleeding heart liberals' etc, etc. Highly amusing.

'Racism' is thinking that one race is superior to another. Hence when somebody posts ''all Nigerians are lazy'' based on an experience of a few, they are not exactly being racist per se, but they are being discriminatory about an entire group of people by unfairly generalizing them. Which is just as bad as ranting on about white pride and the like, imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

OMG this just keeps getting better and better, best novel ever!!!

Now Pamela admits papers are faked

Pamela Izevbekhai, the Nigerian woman who claims she fled to Ireland in order to save her two daughters from female genital mutilation (FGM), has admitted that documents used in a series of legal challenges against her deportation were counterfeits.

She still insists that she had a daughter, named Elizabeth, who died in 1994 at the age of 17 months after undergoing female circumcision.

Izevbekhai, whose landmark Supreme Court challenge to stay in Ireland with her two daughters, Naomi, 7, and Jemima, 6, is due to be heard this Friday, made the admission yesterday. The disclosure is almost certain to cause the collapse of her legal challange.

Izevbekhai admitted that a document purporting to be Elizabeth’s death certificate was a fake. An affidavit from Joseph Unokanjo, an obstetrician who purportedly treated the child before she died, was also a counterfeit.

Izevbekhai said she only learned that the documents were fake on Friday night when her husband Tony, who is living in Nigeria, admitted he had obtained them from a fraudster. She claimed her husband was forced to obtain the fake documents because Unokanjo had refused to supply the real papers and medical reports without a substantial payment.

Unokanjo has denied this in an interview with The Sunday Times but refused to answer detailed questions about the case unless he received a payment of €5,000 from the newspaper.

Izevbekhai said she now regretted taking a series of legal challenges, including one to the European Court of Human Rights, against her deportation and those of her daughters.

“I didn’t know the documents were fake when I passed them to my lawyers. I am so sorry for what has happened. If people are upset, they have every right to be upset. Everything I did, I did it believing the documents to be true. I know I am in a lot of trouble and I don’t know how to get myself out of it,” she said.

Izevbekhai appealed to Dermot Ahern, the justice minister, to “pardon” her for what had happened. She said she feared being killed in her native country if her deportation to Nigeria proceeded. “Anything that I did was for the safety of my children. Nigeria is not a safe place for me any more.” Izevbekhai said she felt she had let down her supporters, friends and legal team. “My lawyers acted in good faith. I didn’t set out to deceive anyone because I didn’t know the documents were fakes.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/ireland/article5993384.ece

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Dublin1600 wrote: »

that site will be gone shortly... with that idiot.... Limit the amount of appeals 1 person has please....

irelands just enough as it is.... we're border line shorting each other as it is... one more push towards the edge is just what we need...

send her back to do Carzone.ie scams... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Word of warning: that letthemstay site crashed my browser (chrome) three times.

Bambi wrote: »
    Word of warning: that letthemstay site crashed my browser (chrome) three times.

doesnt take much to crash chrome.... was it scratched ?

why not just DOS ping attack it ??

• Advertisement

“I didn’t know the documents were fake when I passed them to my lawyers. I am so sorry for what has happened. If people are upset, they have every right to be upset. Everything I did, I did it believing the documents to be true. I know I am in a lot of trouble and I don’t know how to get myself out of it,” she said.

Sounds perfectly plausible, maybe if she cries a bit as well we should not only pardon her but make her the mayor of a small town as well.:pac:

S.I.R wrote: »

off topic but chrome is pretty damn stable IME, it's the only browser that's ever lured me away from IE enough to make me never want to go back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

greetings wrote: »
    Can we just end this and get her out of the country?
    vote you for president. :)

off topic but chrome is pretty damn stable IME, it's the only browser that's ever lured me away from IE enough to make me never want to go back

firefox or nothing imho.

firefox or nothing imho.

You might want to go here... Like seriously, GTFO...

You might want to go here... Like seriously, GTFO...

Bahh humbug.... get back on the dole queue ! :rolleyes:

Bahh humbug.... get back on the dole queue ! :rolleyes:

:P

Anyway, if this case falls against her, which looks likely, very very likely. Would she be able to go to the European Human Rights Courts though? I guess she won't get far if the documents are forged. It's still a bit fishy, with the doctor retracting his previous statements... you know?

:P

Anyway, if this case falls against her, which looks likely, very very likely. Would she be able to go to the European Human Rights Courts though? I guess she won't get far if the documents are forged. It's still a bit fishy, with the doctor retracting his previous statements... you know?

if she does, who foots the legal bills as she will use the " Me no english " argument followed by the " ill be killed by stones " b.s...

tbh...

they have Ak 47's.... its painless really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

What puzzles me in all of this is the gullibility of the large amount of people who supported her. Were they not suspicious after she initially lied how she got into the country? Shouldn't this have caused alarm bells to go off with the rest of the story?

They will probably now say that it was all worth it just to highlight FGM. It will be their way to retreat from their intractable positions.

It is an unfortunate fact that most if not all asylum claims made by Nigerians are false (according to the senior person responsible for handling these claims). Yet, there are still tens of thousands of them in the country. When will this can of worms be investigated?

Papad wrote: »
    What puzzles me in all of this is the gullibility of the large amount of people who supported her. Were they not suspicious after she initially lied how she got into the country? Shouldn't this have caused alarm bells to go off with the rest of the story?

They will probably now say that it was all worth it just to highlight FGM. It will be their way to retreat from their intractable positions.

It is an unfortunate fact that most if not all asylum claims made by Nigerians are false (according to the senior person responsible for handling these claims). Yet, there are still tens of thousands of them in the country. When will this can of worms be investigated?

when theirs millions to be spent on a tribunal that goes nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Check UK situation ! They have been dealing with this issue even longer than we have

kathy2 wrote: »
    Mayor made chieftain in Nigerian hometown (But he claims he was forced to leave for reasons of religious persecution)

The Mayor of Portlaoise Cllr Rotimi Adebari was made an honorary chieftain of his hometown of Okeodan in Nigeria during a recent trip home.
    Mayor Adebari had returned to Nigeria with his wife Ibironke on the sad occasion of the funeral of her father last month.
    While there he was approached by town officials and informed that His Royal Highness King Alaycluwa Oba Oluwarotimi Fagbenro and representatives of the Ogun State Government and the town Chief Lere Bamgboye wished to hold a ceremony in his honour on his achievement of becoming Mayor of Portlaoise. Over 1,000 people attended the ceremony, which was held in the town’s market square

Link please.

seems his story might have a few holes in it then :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

when theirs millions to be spent on a tribunal that goes nowhere

Yeah, but at least tribunals don't multiply like rabbits, spawning more tribunals that do nothing for them selves other than sit on their holes learning their 'rights' verbatim and leeching off the state.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kathy2 wrote: »

So the people who left NI to avoid violence but have subsequently returned were making it up....?

Terry wrote: »
    .....................Enough of the witch hunt crap.

That part of her tribal upbringing too

That part of her tribal upbringing too
    Another ban.
    People just don't seem to learn.

Ignorance is bliss... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭green123

seems his story might have a few holes in it then :)
    most of their stories have holes in them-most of them are only here for economic reasons.
    if they really were aslylum seekers, then they would claim asylum in the first free country the get to and not go cherry picking their way across europe until they find a soft touch like ireland, where they can scam our welfare system.
    i am not a bit surprised by the pamela story, i just hope she is made an example of. might discourage others from trying it

Enough of the witch hunt crap.

why cant he highlight just a few of the many stories about all the bogus asylum seekers ?

green123 wrote: »
    most of their stories have holes in them-most of them are only here for economic reasons.
    if they really were aslylum seekers, then they would claim asylum in the first free country the get to and not go cherry picking their way across europe until they find a soft touch like ireland, where they can scam our welfare system.
    i am not a bit surprised by the pamela story, i just hope she is made an example of. might discourage others from trying it
    Trying what?
    Forging documents?
    There is no conclusive proof of that. All there has been is a couple of failry ambiguous news reports and nothing else.
    If she is found guilty of that, then it's a free for all. Until then, do not accuse her of doing something unless it has been definitively proven in court.

why cant he highlight just a few of the many stories about all the bogus asylum seekers ?
    Because it bore all the trademarks of a witch hunt and that's not what this site is for.

If you want to discuss the merits of asylum seeking in a polite and dignified manner, then I sugget the Humanities forum.

• Advertisement

Have you got figures for this? Not saying it is right or wrong, but your statement is more than likely not right. It is an assumption or a guess. From a few stories you hear. You know how many Asylum seekers there are here in Ireland? A lot more than the scammers that make it into the sun and star. Don't be swayed by the crap they sell in the newspapers.

If something mad were to happen and Cowen declared martial law, where all the people with my second name (just saying, for arguments sake) were to be put to death. I would leave and seek asylum, but I don't think I would do it in the first country I went to. Would be a little picky with it. If it is so easy for them to scam us, then why not? I know I would do it. It's not their fault for taking advantage of our system, it's the people who put the system in place. Of course, nobody will attack them, for what reason, I do not know why...

We do need to tighten procedures while at the same time have to respect the human rights of these people. After all, they are the same as you or I.

Remember the refugees from bosnia that came to our country in the 80's and 90's? I remember people disliking them because they were foreign. I couldn't help feel sorry for people who have left EVERYTHING behind them, their homes (or what was left of them) their jobs, family, friends, their lives, comming to a new country and starting their life from scratch. Some of these people wouldn't have a word of english, how frightened you think these people were? Then we have the odasity to give them crap about it. What do we know about it? Nothing... Best to keep silent when you know nothing.

Enough of the witch hunt crap.

unfortunately i dont think it will be investigated as much as it should be.
    too many people in ireland like terry trying to keep it quiet.
    i dont know why they are happy to allow ireland to be flooded with bogus asylum seekers ?

i dont know why they are happy to allow ireland to be flooded with bogus asylum seekers ?

Ha, WTF are you talking about? He is a mod who is modding a forum. I don't think this reflects his personal opinion about the subject...

You are insinuating that asylum is a bogus claim. That people are happy where they were, no tyranies. No dictators. No ethnic cleansing... right??? :rolleyes:

ireland has been unfairly targeted by too many bogus aslylum seekers.
    ireland is not an easy country to get to for these people, there are alot of other countries that they counld go to if they were genuine.
    why do they choose ireland ?
    they are laughing at stupid little ireland, how easy it is to get in are scam us.
    are you happy with these people making a fool of you with their stories ?

I want to see it investigated, but After Hours isn't the place to hold that investigation.

It's not up to the public to hunt down suspected suspected illegal immigrants. If you want to do it yourself, then go ahead. However, you will not be carrying out your hunt on this forum.

Are you going to talk to your local TD and ask them to do something about the current situation? If not, why not?

[insert appropriate Bowie song]

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement