Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deportation case mother had fake baby death papers, inquiry told

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

psni wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'd say mass to avoid being sent to Nigeria. I don't condone fraud, but the difference between living in Ireland or Nigeria is night and day. If she's guilty, I can see why she did it.

Fact is we are in a recession and she just cost the state €500,000 and counting. It aint even finished. By the time the courts are finished, add all the benefits she has been recieving over the past number of years and the cost its going to be to send her back. Jesus she will have swindled probably in the region of €750,000 from the state all because of her cock and bull story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

For what it's worth, I'd say mass to avoid being sent to Nigeria. I don't condone fraud, but the difference between living in Ireland or Nigeria is night and day. If she's guilty, I can see why she did it.

Ah yes, the difference in living free in Ireland and spending life in jail too are worlds apart so if a murderer denied killing someone in court I wouldn't condone it but I could understand why they did it.

(Comparison obviously makes no accusation of guilt towards her or our fictional murderer till after court cases)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

If she's guilty, I can see why she did it.
    So can I. It's our own fault that this type of stuff is happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

so this is from the Irish refugee council

“The argument centred on whether Pamela’s daughters would be safe if returned to Nigeria,” it said. “All of us who campaigned around this issue believed that they would not be safe due to the compelling evidence on the practice of FGM in Nigeria.”

So they think she should stay because illegal stuff happens in Nigeria and its okay for refugees to lie in court and waste our money on a grand scale.

We fund that shower btw, more taxpayers money p***ed away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I have one question in regards to the alleged fear of FGM that Ms Izevbekhai keeps claiming will happen ti her daughts if they return.

Has Ms Izevbekhai been a victim of FGM at some point in her life ?

If not, then it apparently isn't as rampant as she is claiming.

• Advertisement

IIMII wrote: »
    So can I. It's our own fault that this type of stuff is happening

But is it really? Maybe some are to blame. But first off it takes two to tango so to speak. Neither the government or her should be seen in a good light for this fiasco (the entire stretched out fiasco).

Also the people who claim it is our fault are the one's that will usually be the first to call some one racist for suggesting tougher measures or bring out the "it's the law" quote or mention or hands are tied by Europe. This makes it tough to suggest changing the law so that we're not to blame.

I am not happy about how this case went and would be happy to see tighter rules and larger punishments if people are found to be fraudulent but unfortunately people claim we're a soft touch yet at the same time sympathise with people who have had their claim rejected time and time again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I have one question in regards to the alleged fear of FGM that Ms Izevbekhai keeps claiming will happen ti her daughts if they return.

Has Ms Izevbekhai been a victim of FGM at some point in her life ?

If not, then it apparently isn't as rampant as she is claiming.

No iot isnt.
    And for her to claim it is,is an insult to the people of nigeria who dont live in the stone age.

A little like an irish person claiming asylum on the basis that the villagers would murder her for having a changeling for a child and being in truck with the little people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The worst part is us goons falling for it. It's been widely reported that this FGM is grossly exaggerated and even if it does happen, are we to accept all people based on it?

It's a Nigerian problem that needs to be tackled; but why would they care when the Irish
    are more than happy to "fix" it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

thebman wrote: »
    And your defending her wrongful actions. An ad campaign would have been better money spent TBH or donation to a charity that is challenging the issue to help further their work on the issue.

I'm not defending her actions, I just think at least now more people know about the issue. An ad campaign would be money better spent, I agree. But I still don't think all this money has been completely wasted. I do believe there are more people who are aware of the atrocity now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

walshb wrote: »
    The worst part is us goons falling for it. It's been widely reported that this FGM is grossly exaggerated and even if it does happen, are we to accept all people based on it?

It's a Nigerian problem that needs to be tackled; but why would they care when the Irish
    are more than happy to "fix" it!

Reported by who? Where are the facts? Are you making things up again? I don't think you have even bothered to read any of the posts tbh.

It's still our problem if they are seeking asylum here. Wasn't it Bosnias problem back in the 80's? Should we have kicked them all back to their own country?

You are making a really backward statement based on ONE woman... :rolleyes: Typical witch hunter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Reported by who? Where are the facts? Are you making things up again? I don't think you have even bothered to read any of the posts tbh.

It's still our problem if they are seeking asylum here. Wasn't it Bosnias problem back in the 80's? Should we have kicked them all back to their own country?

You are making a really backward statement based on ONE woman... :rolleyes: Typical witch hunter...
    Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 dialupjoe

Can Madonna perhaps help Ireland out with this case i wonder....?

dialupjoe wrote: »
    Can Madonna perhaps help Ireland out with this case i wonder....?

You want her to give them an STD ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

Maybe I'll get banned for this. I don't think this woman is doing anything I, and thousands of other Irish people, wouldn't do, in similar circumstances, I mean if the shoe was on the other foot and all that. Wouldn't you do your damndest, up to, and including, SHOCK - deceiving the state to get yourself and your family out of whatever severely dire straits you were in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I don't think this woman is doing anything I, and thousands of other Irish people, wouldn't do,

For that to happen we would have to print out fake documentation, get a fake stamp & a fake signature go to say . . . .. america looking for a better life and extensive ongoing state benefits (be inconsistent in our story about how we got there) then go on multiple talk shows, talk to journalists extensively about how we are fleeing a non exsistent non proven persecution.

Keep that up for several years with a straght face & enlist gullible locals/ journalists (who despite all common sense and previous experience dont bother to check your story) then continue that for several more years cost their state a fortune in combined benefits & legal costs. Then saunter through about 9 or 10 court cases through every conceivable legal channel before being exposed as a fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭shezzie

no i wouldnt be dishonest - no no no - it always comes back whatever hope you had is totally diminished when it is found out which it invariably does - to me this is the equivalent of a woman who claims to have been raped and then takes back her story when its found out it never happened, leaving the real victims afraid to come forward for fear of not being believed - this lady has probably ruined many other families lives who could be totally genuine in their claim - they wont be believed,its going to make it next to impossible to prove - as pamelas document were believed for years

which does begger how it took the legal profession so long to get to this...

fgm is horrific and should be outlawed which it is in africa but that doesnt stop the traditionlists from illegally continuing this barbaric practise - its their culture but its horrible..

shezzie wrote: »
    leaving the real victims afraid to come forward for fear of not being believed - this lady has probably ruined many other families lives who could be totally genuine in their claim - they wont be believed

Good and valid point. From experience though, asylum seekers are on a hiding to nothing here anyway. A very tiny minority are succesful in their application and most have to wait years for any progress whatsoever. This has been going on for years, long before this case, I think the damage is already done as regards genuine applicants.

As far as I can fathom, the only winners are the legal reps, on both sides, and the people who provide the accommodation, for years, at huge expense to the state.

Morlar wrote: »
    For that to happen we would have to print out fake documentation, get a fake stamp & a fake signature.

Sorry, missed this. Of course we would never do such underhand things. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

:rolleyes:

Your welcome.

I know this is a discussion and all but seriously! I don't know how there are people who are STILL standing up for this woman. It beggars belief what actually runs through these people's minds. They should be deported themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I know this is a discussion and all but seriously! I don't know how there are people who are STILL standing up for this woman. It beggars belief what actually runs through these people's minds. They should be deported themselves.

I guess those who are still standing up for her are doing it because they feel sorry for her? Anyone know what the story with the case is exactly? Is it this friday that we hear what happens or..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Rojomcdojo wrote: »

I'll see how I'm fixed after that new Budget and get back to ye.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

MIN2511 wrote: »
    As most of you know i am Nigerian, i have lived in Ireland since Sept 11/01

You told me you were spanish and just had a deep tan?!?!

Get her fake passport!!

:pac:
    *don't ban me Terry*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

You told me you were spanish and just had a deep tan?!?!

Get her fake passport!!

:pac:
    *don't ban me Terry*
    Lol... Spanish...

I do have a nice deep tan though :D

Maybe I'll get banned for this. I don't think this woman is doing anything I, and thousands of other Irish people, wouldn't do, in similar circumstances, I mean if the shoe was on the other foot and all that. Wouldn't you do your damndest, up to, and including, SHOCK - deceiving the state to get yourself and your family out of whatever severely dire straits you were in?

But your missing the point. If she has deceived the state she shouldn't be getting support. If say someone was accused of raping someone would you feel the same? Would you sympathise with him if he was deceiving the state? Sure he's only trying to stay out of jail. If the shoe was on the other foot we'd all the same surely?

There are genuine cases out there and they deserve you sympathies not someone whose case has failed at every time at a legal level and who has resorted to tugging on the heart strings of those that are of a more sympathetic persuasion (Dudess if you're reading this I didn't use PC brigade :p)

This is a test case of the Irish society. So many here claim our country has been a soft touch on this issue but will anyone question canvassers when they call to your door about asylum issues? Most won't in fear of the R-word.

I don't blame Pamela one bit. She's doing whatever it takes and it seems to be working.
    She is using everything available to her to win this case!

Bottom line is: She's getting sent home at worst. What's to lose by trying
    anything!

I don't blame Pamela one bit. She's doing whatever it takes and it seems to be working.
    She is using everything available to her to win this case!

Bottom line is: She's getting sent home at worst. What's to lose by trying
    anything!

That's the attitude.

Lie, cheat and steal so long as you get what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

She is dead right, damn all those genuine cases coming behind and the massive damage she has done me me me all the way. Forget the law common good common sense basic decency lie and cheat!!

Forget that she had a job in a Bank and is well educated enough to know better and the cost to others!! yaaa

:mad:

That's the attitude.

Hey, I never said it was right. My point is that she is simply
    getting away with what she can and she is using every
    avenue to continue to stay here. The implications of
    her lying will at WORST, see her sent back; she has nothing
    to lose.

She is desperate to stay; she is hardly going to be completely
    complicit and truthful when in doing so, she'd be
    thrown out quicker!

She is exploiting a weak system.

I personally believe she should be sent back and should
    have been sent back earlier than this. Appeal after appeal
    after appeal; if this OPEN to her, why wouldn't she avail of it.
    Like I said, a weak and pathetic system corrupted by so
    many

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Irlbo

The whole immigration issue is on a whole a diaster for Ireland,regardless of what side of the coin you are on,theres no getting away from the fact that Ireland is still a very insular,old fashioned,inclusive and in general a tad backwards society,we like to think we are on a par with England,France,Spain and other large European countries but in reality we are in essence a little island that is very old fashioned and set in its ways,something like mass immigration is not something that is ever going to go down well here,especially if a significant amount of immigrants/ayslum seekers etc are trying their best to scam and steal their way through life here,we already have enough of our own doing that and they dont like any outsiders trying to cash in on our scams,so of course there will be overwhelming resentment towards foreigners.....................................................I think what annoys me most about asylum seekers and immigrants,and Im sure most Irish people,is how unappreciative they are to our society,culture and to us in general,if I was lving in poverty or under threat from my own state,and another country offered me proctection and a good quality of life,Id be extremely greatful and remember to respect the natives of that counrty and respect and contribute to their culture and their society,but to me,alot of immigrants/asylum seekers come accross extremely rude and try not to intregrate,and this contributes nothing to Ireland................So to sum up,Ireland is facing some of its biggest challenges at the moment,and the last thing we need are ungrateful blow ins holdiing us back,if there are foreign people here willing to contribute to this county then fine,they are more then welcome,but if there are those who wish to scam and be a nuisance they should be deported as soon as possible,such as the woman mentioned here

^^^^^^^^^

On the same note, a newspaper in Australia was comparing the Irish immigrants there to the Polish 'invasion' of Western European countries.

Irony can be so ironic at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Some of the views expressed in this thread are very disturbing.
    The lack of common decencey, compassion and empathy is frightening.
    The ease with which racist and bigoted opinions are thrown out and each of you congratulate yourselves on your pathetic attempts at humour is dis heartening.

Nothing has been proven with regard to the stats released by the Nigerian government or by the doctor in question. It is just as probable that the government of Nigeria are trying to protect their reputation and are trying to make this woman out to be a liar to do so.

The fact of the matter is that Female Genital Mutilation does happen and is extremely common in Nigeria and other African states. It is done to remove any sexual pleasure for a woman during sex, making it less likely that she will be unfaithful. It causes a lot of problems for women in childbirth adn has led to a lot of deaths of both mothers and babies because it is so badly done. Not to mention the amount of children who die due to infection post mutilation. It is not a con or bull made up. Please do a little bit of research on the subject before you make yourself out to be such a moron Degsey.

This is a sad side to Ireland, that you would treat such a serious issue with gloat and glee. Frankly, some of you make me embarassed to be Irish, and it seems to be becoming more and more prevalant in After Hours. It's a disgrace.

^^^^^^^^^

On the same note, a newspaper in Australia was comparing the Irish immigrants there to the Polish 'invasion' of Western European countries.

This seems to be the main argument for the pro-immigration camp,if not the only argument,'but the Irish emigrated when times were tough',yes that is correct,but the difference is,as a whole the Irish worked damn hard,building an infrastructure for countries like the US,England and Australia,and in return they were paid a pittance,and treated like dogs(hence the signs on shops all over England:no dogs blacks or Irishmen),but after years and generations of Irish settling abroad,they have benefitted greatly to these societies and have earned their place there........................................................but in comparison what we see with the likes of Immigrants and asylum seekers here,alot seem to see Ireland as their meal ticket and are only here to abuse and exploit,yeah the Irish emmigrated but at least they worked hard and earned their citizenship especially in the US and England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublin1600

beth-lou wrote: »
    Nothing has been proven with regard to the stats released by the Nigerian government or by the doctor in question. It is just as probable that the government of Nigeria are trying to protect their reputation and are trying to make this woman out to be a liar to do so.

Pamela Izevbekhai's lawyers are seeking the supreme courts permission to withdraw from the case. I think such an action would only taken in an extreme case. Her own lawyers have lost creditibility in this woman.

"LAWYERS FOR asylum seekers Pamela Izevbekhai and her two daughters are to seek the Supreme Court’s permission to withdraw from the case, it was confirmed last night.

Sources said this was because the legal team felt it was not tenable for them to be party to an action based on a fraudulent document."

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0331/1224243731722.html

The ease with which racist and bigoted opinions are thrown out and each of you congratulate yourselves on your pathetic attempts at humour is dis heartening.

The fact of the matter is that Female Genital Mutilation does happen and is extremely common in Nigeria and other African states. It is done to remove any sexual pleasure for a woman during sex, making it less likely that she will be unfaithful. It causes a lot of problems for women in childbirth adn has led to a lot of deaths of both mothers and babies because it is so badly done. Not to mention the amount of children who die due to infection post mutilation. It is not a con or bull made up. Please do a little bit of research on the subject before you make yourself out to be such a moron Degsey.

This is a sad side to Ireland, that you would treat such a serious issue with gloat and glee. Frankly, some of you make me embarassed to be Irish, and it seems to be becoming more and more prevalant in After Hours. It's a disgrace.

Pamela had her day(s) in court and was treated extremely well
    by the Irish people.

How can you say what you say t just because folks see a problem with
    a possible scam, that they are then bigoted and non empathetic?

I am as merciful and compassionate as the next person, but surely
    a line has to be drawn and a country must have some law
    and order and rules. Are we simply to accept any old sob
    story and allow the country to be exploited by everyone?

This case would have been sorted out far quicker in many many
    other countries, including Nigeria, yet the Iris are lacking empathy
    and compassion? Strange view is this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Irlbo wrote: »
    This seems to be the main argument for the pro-immigration camp,if not the only argument,'but the Irish emigrated when times were tough',yes that is correct,but the difference is,as a whole the Irish worked damn hard,building an infrastructure for countries like the US,England and Australia,and in return they were paid a pittance,and treated like dogs(hence the signs on shops all over England:no dogs blacks or Irishmen),but after years and generations of Irish settling abroad,they have benefitted greatly to these societies and have earned their place there........................................................but in comparison we'll see with the likes of Immigrants and asylum seekers here,alot seem to see Ireland as there meal ticket and are only here to abuse and exploit,yeah the Irish emmigrated but at least they worked hard and earned their citizenship especially in the US and England

Well said.
    No right minded people have a problem with anyone trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. The difference between the Irish and Nigerians has always been our willingness to work, and work damn hard, an attitude which is sorely missing from a lot of our Asylum seeking/ arm chancing/ hand out/ I know my rights lazy fraudsters from Nigeria.

@beth-lou Why do you think this thread is focusing solely on Nigerians, not the Sudanese, or any other African countries whose residents are in severe need of help? FMG is a small part of Nigerian culture used as an excuse by a large part of the Asylum seeking population, as it's pretty much the only bad thing that happens in Nigeria that falls under the right to Asylum act. Seriously - Get real, give the blinkered lefty approach a break and have a read of this thread fully.

Pamela had her day(s) in court and was treated extremely well
    by the Irish people.

How can you say what you say just because folks see a problem with
    a possible scam, that they are then bigoted and non empathetic?

I am as merciful and compassionate as the next person, but surely
    a line has to be drawn and a country must have some law
    and order and rules. Are we simply to accept any old sob
    story and allow the country to be exploited by everyone?

This case would have been sorted out far quicker in many many
    other countries, including Nigeria, yet the Irish are lacking empathy
    and compassion? Strange view is this!

We have given Pamela more than a fair crack of the whip!

^^^^^^^^^

Not really. The Irish built Australia.

Please do a little bit of research on the subject before you make yourself out to be such a moron Degsey.
    Personal abuse will get you banned every time.

Frankly, some of you make me embarassed to be Irish

You should move to nigeria and see how well they treat you.
    Tell them some load of cobblers about irish doctors forcing you to have your tonsils out and you could bleed to death.
    I'm sure they'll be willing to sink half a million quid into letting you stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

That's the attitude.

[Morpheus]
    Welcome to the real world
    [/Morpheus]

• Advertisement

Victor_M wrote: »
    Well said.
    No right minded people have a problem with anyone trying to make a better life for themselves and their family. The difference between the Irish and Nigerians has always been our willingness to work, and work damn hard, an attitude which is sorely missing from a lot of our Asylum seeking/ arm chancing/ hand out/ I know my rights lazy fraudsters from Nigeria..

....not that you'd generalise or anything.....
    Victor_M wrote: »
    FMG is a small part of Nigerian culture .
    Nigeria is one of the 27 countries in Africa where FGM is still practiced. In Nigeria, the harmful practice has a prevalence rate of between 40 and 50 percent, according to earlier Nigerian estimates. UN estimates however puts the FGM rate at approximately 60 percent among the nation's female population, with local rates reaching 90 percent.
    http://www.afrol.com/articles/11236

small =/= 50%

You know what pathetic argument I am so sick of, the whole, "You're generalizing" crap!

Who is generalising Nodin?

Who ever said ALL foreign nationals are scamming?

Many are, it's a fact and many have been sent home because
    of it and many are still here despite it.

Generalising has ZERO to do with this!

Degsy wrote: »
    You should move to nigeria and see how well they treat you.
    Tell them some load of cobblers about irish doctors forcing you to have your tonsils out and you could bleed to death.
    I'm sure they'll be willing to sink half a million quid into letting you stay.
    This user has been banned and therefore cannot reply to you.
    Please don't do this.

You know what pathetic argument I am so sick of, the whole "You're generalising" crap!

Who is generalising Nodin?

Yer man who said
    The difference between the Irish and Nigerians has always been our willingness to work, and work damn hard, an attitude which is sorely missing from a lot of our Asylum seeking/ arm chancing/ hand out/ I know my rights lazy fraudsters from Nigeria..

..who I was responding too...

Maybe you can answer me this,Nigeria is a state that has been in existence for along time,it has a well established constitutuion and its own government and has institutions,it is far from a third world loosely held together country,an extremely wealthy nation,maybe a tad corrupt and unjust but where isnts?Nigeria and its citizens have an onus to solve their own problems,what has FGM got to do with Ireland?,this is not an Irish problem it is the problem of a well established country with its own laws and proceedures,if they areant dealing with the issue,why does it impeed on us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Terry wrote: »
    Not really. The Irish built Australia.

Personal abuse will get you banned every time.

The Australians built Australia.
    Just because most came from Ireland orginally gives the current Irish no additional rights.

Nodin wrote: »
    Yer man who said

..who I was responding too...

Still milking it for all its worth,eh?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭nomorebadtown

Irlbo wrote: »
    Nigeria and its citizens have an onus to solve their own problems,what has FGM got to do with Ireland?,this is not an Irish problem it is the problem of a well established country with its own laws and proceedures,if they areant dealing with the issue,why does it impeed on us?
    because we are known to be a soft touch with immegration and legal systems resembling a slice of swiss cheese. Added to that, our ludicrous fear of being seen to be politically incorrect by a loud-mouthed bleeding heart minority.

Degsy wrote: »
    Still milking it for all its worth,eh?:rolleyes:

I was responding to a post made at 13.20 today......

because we are known to be a soft touch with immegration and legal systems resembling a slice of swiss cheese. Added to that, our ludicrous fear of being seen to be politically incorrect by a loud-mouthed bleeding heart minority.
    It emerged last night that the Irish rate of granting refugee status to asylum seekers is well below the EU average.
    Latest figures reveal Ireland ranks 18th out of Europe's 27 countries for allowing asylum.
    A report by the Irish Refugee Council supports government plans for a radical overhaul of the refugee system, which would see applications for various types of protection considered together under one system.
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/izevbekhai-in-desperate-hunt-for-evidence-of--asylum-claims-1691980.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement