Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows sidebar has stopped working

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hello there, hope someone can help me wth this

I have just installed Vista 64 on my home PC and the side bar opened up no problem but then i had a lot of updates from MS and took about and hour and a half to DL and install which included drivers for my graphics card and an update for my antivirus. One this finished i keep getting the message 'windows sidebar has stopped working' everytime i start the PC or try to open it manually.

I have a Geforce 9800gt with all latest drivers installed and am using Kaspersky AV - i have disabled this and still had no luck

Its not a life or death situation but it would be nice to have it back

Anyone got any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Hi there,

There is a copy of sidebar.exe in the Windows\winsxs folder.
    Boot into Safe mode and choose the Administrator account.

Do a search for sidebar.exe and then copy it out into the Program Files\Windows Sidebar folder.

iRock

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ledgehammer

Thanks for that, but im a Semi-noob how do i force start Vista into safe mode

Nice one,

Ok i got to the winsxs folder an the only files there that come under sidebar.exe is a few files called Sidebar.exe.mui theres 3 of them there. there is some files that just say Sidebar but are not .exe files

You need to search for the sidebar.exe using the search feature because alot of the stuff in there is identified by its GUID.

• Advertisement

Twas the drivers for my old graphics card, Didnt find this out till i put the new one in :-)

Advertisement