Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speedtest.net overhaul

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭

Any thoughts on it?

http://www.speedtest.net

Its easier on the eyes anyway and the new results box is good.

438122785.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It looks and loads a lot better, it was sluggish as hell before.

I like it.

Now I just need to see about getting 30 odd Mb/s.....

438128565.png

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I think its going for the whole "alien spaceship" look.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Much faster GUI and they have fixed whatever was wrong with Ping, typically I would get 70ms on speedtest but command line ping to www.heanet.ie is 23ms

438137516.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

438149694.png

438150869.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

438174955.png

Currently capped for being a bad little boy :(

• Advertisement

thebman wrote: »
    438174955.png

Currently capped for being a bad little boy :(

Madness!! You could go for a company that has a higher cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

438176218.png

Now I still don't think that there is actualy enough data downloaded to allow for a good measurement.

I still prefer http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ for the odd test because it actualy is more reliable while not as flashy and not offering the ability to share the result.

Damo9090, but on what UPC product are you for that results?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Damo9090, but on what UPC product are you for that results?

10meg not sure why i have such high speeds. Not complaining and will enjoy as long as they last. Got a speed of 35meg on magnet a few minutes ago.

438185661.png

Speedtest is just the most popular site, the crowd that make all these GUI speedtests are Ookla http://www.ookla.com/

I do prefer the magnet one too.

Rorser wrote: »

Nah there are reasons I won't go with the other companies in my area. I only wish magnet were in this area, lol.

Digiweb are fine most of the time. Its the first time I've gone over the limit anyway.

I downloaded 8GB of data in one day on a 30GB cap. It was inevitable really :(

At least they don't cut you off or charge you. I do consider the cap to be ridiculously low but the service when within the cap is far superior to anything else in the area that I could go with and anyway still under contract.

UPC are the only real alternative in the same price range but I won't go with them at the moment. There are reasons for that, not going to go into them.

The capped speed are fine for browsing web pages and reading email. Just can't download anything big on it or play Halo online.

• Advertisement

Nah there are reasons I won't go with the other companies in my area. I only wish magnet were in this area, lol.

Digiweb are fine most of the time. Its the first time I've gone over the limit anyway.

I downloaded 8GB of data in one day on a 30GB cap. It was inevitable really :(

At least they don't cut you off or charge you. I do consider the cap to be ridiculously low but the service when within the cap is far superior to anything else in the area that I could go with and anyway still under contract.

UPC are the only real alternative in the same price range but I won't go with them at the moment. There are reasons for that, not going to go into them.

The capped speed are fine for browsing web pages and reading email. Just can't download anything big on it or play Halo online.

If you are on Digiweb DSL we can offer you something.....it might not be 24Mb but it will still be unlimited.

If you are on Digiweb DSL we can offer you something.....it might not be 24Mb but it will still be unlimited.

Nah, its Metro Fixed Wireless. Housemates don't want to pay more than this for BB and phone line would definitely drive up the price.

We are only on the 30GB cap anyway and its the first time we've gone over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

438197248.png

Nah, its Metro Fixed Wireless. Housemates don't want to pay more than this for BB and phone line would definitely drive up the price.

We are only on the 30GB cap anyway and its the first time we've gone over.

Just saw the digiweb site.....yep...the price will go up if you switch to us but..........no Halo=no online fun.

Gonna have to stop talking off topic, this will be my last post on the subject in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Looks nice , shame my upload is so bad but the ping seems to be better.

438196518.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

438201133.png :eek: :D I'm far from my wireless router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

438214869.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

The UPC guys certainly rule the roost. I always wonder where the magnet fibre guys are hiding. Perhaps with their bandwidth bliss, they have evolved and no longer use forums ;)

438205689.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

438252585.png
    Ahhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You know that a huge percentage of people in this country can't get DSL at all.

A small percentage of those can get Magnet. Almost all suppliers have a Cap, even ones that claim they don't.

No matter HOW big the Cap is some people will exceed it. Some people even manage to exceed Smart's unwritten Cap. A FUP is a Cap where you don't know what it is.

A 5Gbyte or 10Gbyte as per the Mobile Companies is too low. But a 30G or 60G cap isn't a huge problem for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 henry66

Yes, the new design is more informative, and also loads a lot faster - thanks.

BUT: While measuring, there is a window on the left updating both D/L and U/L
    speeds while measuring, and also showing the Ping.

This windows stays there for a few of seconds after measuring is done, then
    vanishes, and is replaced with the window in the very middle with final results.

And those, for reasons i cannot figure, are always some 10-20% lower than the
    numbers orignally shown on the left.

Any idea?

- Henry

watty wrote: »
    You know that a huge percentage of people in this country can't get DSL at all.

A small percentage of those can get Magnet. Almost all suppliers have a Cap, even ones that claim they don't.

No matter HOW big the Cap is some people will exceed it. Some people even manage to exceed Smart's unwritten Cap. A FUP is a Cap where you don't know what it is.

A 5Gbyte or 10Gbyte as per the Mobile Companies is too low. But a 30G or 60G cap isn't a huge problem for most people.

I am aware of all these issues (NBB is gone to 3 and people too far from DSL enabled exchangees will still not be able to get BB)....on the other issue a large percentage can get Magnet (fibre, bitstreem, wireless and ADSL2+).

Its clearly a problem for this user, but i know what your saying....for most people (myself included) a download cap of around 60GB would not be a major problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

It looks well but it's giving me a wrong reading, must be a lot of traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

it's giving me a reading of .16mb which is wrong but magnet's is giving the right speed ot 5.2mb

And I perfer the older version.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    it's giving me a reading of .16mb which is wrong but magnet's is giving the right speed ot 5.2mb

And I perfer the older version.
    Same here, I'm getting 6.5mb on other speedtests and only 0.34mb on Speedtest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

438714250.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

[QUOTE=dublin-texas;59579807
    I still prefer http://speedtest.magnet.ie/ for the odd test because it actualy is more reliable while not as flashy and not offering the ability to share the result.[/QUOTE]

It's the same speedtest. Not less reliable or more, but depending on, where it's located. It's the same company (Ookla) developing it and the same way to test the speed, it's just a different skin.

As for reliability, that always depends on where the server is positioned compared to you and that's the reason you have a choice of more than one server at speedtest.net

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

1499779390.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

jaffa20 wrote: »
    1499779390.png

1331766049.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement