Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pamela Izevbekhai invented childs death to stay in Ireland!

Options
  • 27-03-2009 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Have you read the paper yet today,
    It states that Pamela has lied about having a daughter die from FGM! And the death certificates are forgeries. She made it all up just to stay in Ireland. How sick is that! As a parent, my heart went out to her & supported her in trying to protect her children.
    Not a nice thing to do!

Edited with the link..
    http://oceanfm.ie/news/2009/03/27/nigerian-doctor-says-pamela-izebvbhekhai-forged-death-papers/

Comments

Now there is a surprise!

Last week i won £10 zillion on a Nigerian Lottery!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Here is a Link for anyone who is interested

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Which politicians in Sligo supported her case and have they commented on this new discovery?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Forgot to post the link. I wonder what all the supporters she's had are going to say over all this.
    I feel sorry for her children, They don't deserve all this. They'll probably be deported soon after this!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

This is a surprice, not, now everybody that believed her against all the strange bits in her story should take a lesson out of this. Thanks to pamela the extreem right will have some more support.

The media looks stupid now aswell, good journalism that they never investigate any of this but believe somebody and put it on the front pages.

All the peolple that believed her and called people that weren't racist should appologise aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Wexler12

All the peolple that believed her and called people that weren't racist should appologise aswell.
    No they shouldnt,theres nothing wrong with what she did.Any parent would go to any lenght to prevent the children from suffering

Wexler12 wrote: »
    No they shouldnt,theres nothing wrong with what she did.Any parent would go to any lenght to prevent the children from suffering

That still doesn't make it right to call people racist for not believing her. That was not her saying that, so what has to do with preventing her childeren??

So they should.

Ps fraude is ok then is it? Is the threat still real then? That's still not proven either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

How unfortunate that she misled people.

I wonder if she had gone about the correct channels, would she and her children not be deported.

How sad. And she has done nothing but damage to the profile of asylum seekers.

Xiney wrote: »
    How unfortunate that she misled people.

I wonder if she had gone about the correct channels, would she and her children not be deported.

How sad. And she has done nothing but damage to the profile of asylum seekers.

I agree completly, this is what made Holland really hard against asylum seekers. Goodwill gets damaged by this kind of thing. As I said before you really shouldn't raise profile in the papers on induvidual cases. The damage this has done is really big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

I don't know if the claims regarding forgery of Birth and Death Certs of supposed child are true or ortherwise -- but if they are, one thing that struck me as bizzare was how the current Mayor justified opening the City Hall for a Civil Reception for Pamela (in the full glare of National Media).

If she was hoodwinked then just say 'I'm sorry, I look a little foolish now but my bona fides were genuine" -- not to bleat, 'I was highlighting a worthy issue'.

By extension, the logic of her response could result it finding someone for example who has a claim against German Government regarding 'gasing' of Jews in Holocaust? But who turns out to be a fraud. Such examples are endless. But would an elected Mayor's response that 'I was highlighting an issue', be platable or sensible?

To my mind, the Mayor's action smacked of an abuse of office, utilising the City Hall for her own agenda (publicity seeking) and flew in the face of the on-going due process -- I mean, does the Mayor genuinely believe her state of mind and knowledge is superior to that of the High Judges in this State? I certainly don't.

I saw Pamela during the St Paddies Day Parade with her kids, and it struck me that people have rightly commented on how dignified a lady she appears -- but now maybe, if these alleged reports are true, we might have an inkling as to her motivation for such grace in the face of a seemingly uncaring judiciary and process.

Also, if the allegations are true, for any member of the general public to attempt to justify them on the basis that it was an endeavour by her to secure her children's future, they are, I say, deluded if not depraved in this assertion, because this is not just an act of amazing effrontery but a spit into the eye of the generosity of the Irish nation.

If the article in the Indo is true -- those who campaigned so vociferously for her appear well-intentioned but certainly misguided and ultimately fundamentally wrong. I hope for her own sake these reports are not, for all concerned.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 TedMaulReports

Friday March 27

By Gary Anderson

BOMBSHELL evidence from Nigeria has exposed asylum mum Pamela Izevbekhai's harrowing story as a pack of lies, we can reveal.Mrs Izevbekhai claimed she fled her home country after her baby daughter Elizabeth died following a barbaric female genital mutilation.
    She claimed that if she was forced to return her cruel in-laws would put her surviving daughters Naomi, eight, and six-year-old Jemima through the same ordeal.
    But startling evidence seen by the Irish Daily Mirror shows: The mum-of-two's doctor has revealed the baby NEVER EXISTED and was invented by Mrs Izevbekhai in a bid to stay in Ireland Nigerian authorities have confirmed an "official" death certificate Mrs Izevbekhai obtained for the child is a forgery.
    The case was blown wide open after a detective from the Garda National Immigration Bureau travelled to Nigeria last month to investigate.
    Dr Joseph Unokanjo told investigators a death certificate for Elizabeth and records of her hospital treatment used by the family's lawyers are fakes.
    The revelations leave Mrs Izevbekhai's legal battle to stay in Ireland - due to go before the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights - in tatters.
    Damning evidence in documents seen by the Irish Daily Mirror will also shock Mrs Izevbekhai's famous supporters - including former President Mary Robinson and writer Roddy Doyle.
    A source said: "Her case relied completely on the story of the baby girl Elizabeth who died because of female genital mutilation.
    "Her whole case has been based on a complete fabrication."
    The Department of Justice decided to launch a fresh investigation of Mrs Izevbekhai's claims at the end of last year.
    A Detective Inspector from the Garda National Immigration Bureau travelled to Lagos to interview the doctor at the centre of the story last February.
    The family's lawyers had presented a medical death certificate for Elizabeth at a number of court hearings purportedly signed by Dr Unokanjo.
    And they used a statement he reportedly made in 2006, in which he allegedly told how he fought to save the baby - supposedly aged 17 months.
    In the statement it was claimed the doctor said: "Baby Elizabeth was rushed back to hospital with a history of weakness and pallor which possibly resulted from profuse bleeding after she had undergone the traditional female genital circulation.
    "Treatment of the baby included emergency blood transfusion which proved unsuccessful. The baby died of circulatory collapse at about 5.30am on July 16, 1994."
    In the statement the doctor allegedly went on to claim he believed the mum's surviving girls were at risk of facing the same fate.
    Investigators were stunned when the doctor revealed the whole story to be a fabrication on February 11.
    He has since provided sworn statements and has indicated he is prepared to testify in court that Mrs Izevbekhai's story is a lie.
    The doctor recognised photos of Mrs Izevbekhai and confirmed she had been his patient when she had her first daughter Naomi in 2000.
    In his sworn affidavit he says: "I can confirm that no baby called Elizabeth Izevbekhai was delivered by me at Isioma Hospital and no baby of that name has ever been treated by me for any ailment including post circumcision complications in Isioma Hospital."
    He confirmed that the signatures on previous statements and medical reports allegedly relating to baby Elizabeth were not his.
    He also claimed he was wrongly described as a surgeon in the documents, the Isioma Hospital stamp used was a fake and the papers even got the hospital's address wrong. He added: "Mrs Pamela Izevbekhai telephoned me some years back requesting that I issue a death certificate in respect of a dead child of hers to enable her to be given asylum in the Republic of Ireland.
    "I told her in no mistaken uncertain terms that I do not involve myself in such activities, more so as I am aware that she neither had a baby before 1999 nor lost a baby.
    "That was the first time I knew that she was now in the Republic of Ireland." Officials also investigated a death certificate for Elizabeth which Mrs Izevbekhai claimed had been issued by Lagos State on July 29, 1994.
    A sworn affidavit from Paul McHenry of the Irish Embassy in Abuja shows that Nigerian National Population Commission quickly established the document was bogus.
    They revealed no such entry existed in the Kosofe area office's records and the signature on the document did not belong to the registrar for that region.
    The NPC issued a document stating that the death certificate had not been issued by the relevant office and was "not genuine".
    Documents detailing the investigation have been forwarded to the European Court of Human Rights, where the family plans to challenge the Government's deportation order.
    Female genital mutilation is banned in Nigeria although the World Health Organisation has reported the practice is still "deeply entrenched" in society there.
    Nigerian authorities have disputed Mrs Izevbekhai's claims her young daughters would be subjected to the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Should we really? Well I did yesterday morning untill it transpired the doctor is a liar. You should read the politics forum. The media reported the information given to them by the government and the government, typical of the current one IMO, never checked out the facts. Yesterdays story will help Pamelas case over the next week as the Governments 'facts' are about as solid as our economy
    This is a surprice, not, now everybody that believed her against all the strange bits in her story should take a lesson out of this. Thanks to pamela the extreem right will have some more support.

The media looks stupid now aswell, good journalism that they never investigate any of this but believe somebody and put it on the front pages.

I was wondering if the doctor could be lying - but I thought that would be naive of me to hope for.

I'm happy there's a chance Pamela could still be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

This was on Sligo today:
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/detail.php?id=3624

The last paragraph:
    Journalist Philip Boucher-Hayes has said on national radio within the last few moments that he personally interviewed Dr.Unokanjo in 2005 and that the doctor confirmed to him on tape that Ms.Izevbekhai DID have a child called Elizabeth in 2000 and that the child was healthy until he treated the child in 2004 for complications following female genital mutilation.

This tape has just been played on 2fm and will no doubt further complicate the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Do you find it unusual that this same doctor was interviewed in 2005 by Philip Boucher HAyes and stated a compl;etely different story?
    Friday March 27

By Gary Anderson

BOMBSHELL evidence from Nigeria has exposed asylum mum Pamela Izevbekhai's harrowing story as a pack of lies, we can reveal.Mrs Izevbekhai claimed she fled her home country after her baby daughter Elizabeth died following a barbaric female genital mutilation.
    She claimed that if she was forced to return her cruel in-laws would put her surviving daughters Naomi, eight, and six-year-old Jemima through the same ordeal.
    But startling evidence seen by the Irish Daily Mirror shows: The mum-of-two's doctor has revealed the baby NEVER EXISTED and was invented by Mrs Izevbekhai in a bid to stay in Ireland Nigerian authorities have confirmed an "official" death certificate Mrs Izevbekhai obtained for the child is a forgery.
    The case was blown wide open after a detective from the Garda National Immigration Bureau travelled to Nigeria last month to investigate.
    Dr Joseph Unokanjo told investigators a death certificate for Elizabeth and records of her hospital treatment used by the family's lawyers are fakes.
    The revelations leave Mrs Izevbekhai's legal battle to stay in Ireland - due to go before the Supreme Court and European Court of Human Rights - in tatters.
    Damning evidence in documents seen by the Irish Daily Mirror will also shock Mrs Izevbekhai's famous supporters - including former President Mary Robinson and writer Roddy Doyle.
    A source said: "Her case relied completely on the story of the baby girl Elizabeth who died because of female genital mutilation.
    "Her whole case has been based on a complete fabrication."
    The Department of Justice decided to launch a fresh investigation of Mrs Izevbekhai's claims at the end of last year.
    A Detective Inspector from the Garda National Immigration Bureau travelled to Lagos to interview the doctor at the centre of the story last February.
    The family's lawyers had presented a medical death certificate for Elizabeth at a number of court hearings purportedly signed by Dr Unokanjo.
    And they used a statement he reportedly made in 2006, in which he allegedly told how he fought to save the baby - supposedly aged 17 months.
    In the statement it was claimed the doctor said: "Baby Elizabeth was rushed back to hospital with a history of weakness and pallor which possibly resulted from profuse bleeding after she had undergone the traditional female genital circulation.
    "Treatment of the baby included emergency blood transfusion which proved unsuccessful. The baby died of circulatory collapse at about 5.30am on July 16, 1994."
    In the statement the doctor allegedly went on to claim he believed the mum's surviving girls were at risk of facing the same fate.
    Investigators were stunned when the doctor revealed the whole story to be a fabrication on February 11.
    He has since provided sworn statements and has indicated he is prepared to testify in court that Mrs Izevbekhai's story is a lie.
    The doctor recognised photos of Mrs Izevbekhai and confirmed she had been his patient when she had her first daughter Naomi in 2000.
    In his sworn affidavit he says: "I can confirm that no baby called Elizabeth Izevbekhai was delivered by me at Isioma Hospital and no baby of that name has ever been treated by me for any ailment including post circumcision complications in Isioma Hospital."
    He confirmed that the signatures on previous statements and medical reports allegedly relating to baby Elizabeth were not his.
    He also claimed he was wrongly described as a surgeon in the documents, the Isioma Hospital stamp used was a fake and the papers even got the hospital's address wrong. He added: "Mrs Pamela Izevbekhai telephoned me some years back requesting that I issue a death certificate in respect of a dead child of hers to enable her to be given asylum in the Republic of Ireland.
    "I told her in no mistaken uncertain terms that I do not involve myself in such activities, more so as I am aware that she neither had a baby before 1999 nor lost a baby.
    "That was the first time I knew that she was now in the Republic of Ireland." Officials also investigated a death certificate for Elizabeth which Mrs Izevbekhai claimed had been issued by Lagos State on July 29, 1994.
    A sworn affidavit from Paul McHenry of the Irish Embassy in Abuja shows that Nigerian National Population Commission quickly established the document was bogus.
    They revealed no such entry existed in the Kosofe area office's records and the signature on the document did not belong to the registrar for that region.
    The NPC issued a document stating that the death certificate had not been issued by the relevant office and was "not genuine".
    Documents detailing the investigation have been forwarded to the European Court of Human Rights, where the family plans to challenge the Government's deportation order.
    Female genital mutilation is banned in Nigeria although the World Health Organisation has reported the practice is still "deeply entrenched" in society there.
    Nigerian authorities have disputed Mrs Izevbekhai's claims her young daughters would be subjected to the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

OK, so are the public and more importantly the judiciary supposed to believe the doctor when he is telling lies and/or truth in 2005 and/or telling lies and/or truth in 2008/9???

According to the article, it would appear that affidavits sworn by Irish Embassy Officials would verify that there is something very amiss regarding this case -- are they also lying??

What makes the alleged testimony of a journalist in the process to relevant. Did Philip Boucher-Hayes travel to Nigeria to speak to this relevant witness? Who even if he is an alleged liar, is a totally discredited witness. If Mr Hayes did not, how does he even know how he was speaking to?

Seriously, this issue has just gotten completely ridiculous. Facts, quasi-facts, appeals to the emotion, irrationality looped into the Refugee Appeals process.

I would find it hard to believe that a newspaper and reports from the said relevant parties are all wrong. Identity theft a huge industry in sub-Saharan Africa -- so really just about anything is possible if someone is prepared to abuse relevant documentation (until it comes under a microscopic level of investigation) hence the visit to Nigeria by members of the police, which I would imagine is quite rare.

Should we really? Well I did yesterday morning untill it transpired the doctor is a liar. You should read the politics forum. The media reported the information given to them by the government and the government, typical of the current one IMO, never checked out the facts. Yesterdays story will help Pamelas case over the next week as the Governments 'facts' are about as solid as our economy

Yep you should really, to many people are lying in this story and a lot of strange incidents and and not very logic ways of travveling make the story very unbelieveble and you cant therefore not blame people for asking questions and not believing somebody straight away on their word.

That doesnt make people racist but reallist. If Pamela is lying (and notice the IF) it will do a lot of harm to the goodwill of people towards asylum seekers and so does calling people racist who do ask questions.

Again I am against any individual cases being put in the spotlight because if they do turn out to be a fraud it harms the cause you are fighting for.

Honestly, until people know what's going on, this discussion is outside the scope of the Sligo forum.

locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement