Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howa M-1500 stock

Options
  • 27-03-2009 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone have any experience stiffening the fore end of a Howa M-1500 Hogue stock? I notice if you pull back too much when its bipod mounted, the fore end can bend up and touch the barrel - not good! I've heard you can stiffen it up but would like advice on how to do so please. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

have a look at www.snipershide.com gunsmithing section

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Very awkward job, will never really be perfect. Weight will also go up.
    If you are interested i've got a PSE stock back from an exibition with slight marks from showing around. Fits all short action Howa.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Half-cocked,
    helped a fella today get a Remmy SPS stock free floating. The trick is to mill or sand away around 2mm gap around the barrel. We then roughend up the action area from mag box to recoil lug and bedded the action with epoxy resin. Also took care to center the barrel in the channel.
    If the barrel doesn't touch with a bit of down, left and right pressure on the bipod it should be ok. If it touches just make the gap bigger.
    The bedding will not stick very well in these stocks but if one leaves the action in, the epoxy can't fall out.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

ejg wrote: »
    Half-cocked,
    helped a fella today get a Remmy SPS stock free floating. The trick is to mill or sand away around 2mm gap around the barrel. We then roughend up the action area from mag box to recoil lug and bedded the action with epoxy resin. Also took care to center the barrel in the channel.
    If the barrel doesn't touch with a bit of down, left and right pressure on the bipod it should be ok. If it touches just make the gap bigger.
    The bedding will not stick very well in these stocks but if one leaves the action in, the epoxy can't fall out.

edi

Thanks ejg. Had a look inside and there's not too much work involved in what you suggest. I'll give it a try.

Advertisement