Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monkfish and Mussels

• 27-03-2009 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I am cooking tomorrow for a few people and I am going to try Gordan Ramseys Monkfish in a mussel broth.

I will be heading out to Howth in the morning to get the monkfish and mussels.

I rarely cook fish and just wondering would anyone have any idea how much monkfish and mussels usually cost?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

monkfish fillets are around 28/30 eu per kg
    mussels are 3eu a bag (usually a bug is around 1kg)
    if you also buy clams it depends, 1kg could be 7 or 12 eu.

These prices are from kish fish in bow street D7, I don't know about prices in Howth

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Sorry to raise an old thread and be a tad off topic, the prices above are about right, i've tried this recipe (huge ramsay fan).

Wasn't too impressed. I did my own mussel broth but did Mussels in a fennel and chorizo broth.

I started by sweating some onion and fennel, rough chop, but be sure the fennel is thin as it takes a bit longer to cook. the popped in my chorizo, a splash of white wine, dry.
    thats the base.

Mussels in on top, when they are just about open put in some tinned chopped tomatoe and some sugar.
    when their all opened they're will be some sauce.
    To finish lob in a good handful of fresh mint.

Super beer food or summer afternoon starter. Just put them all in one big pasta bowl and put in the middle of the table and everyone can nibble.

Monkfish i prefer wrapped in parma ham, pan fried and finished in the oven. Served on top of a vanilla risotto. Make risotto as normal, but with fresh fish stock. add seeds of one vanilla pod. (for 3servings, multiply as you increase) Finish with some mixed fresh herbs, dill, chervil, flat parsley work best. sauce is open for suggestion but steerr clear of any cream sauce. Red wine reduction works a treat.

Advertisement