Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding for Part time post grad courses

Options
  • 27-03-2009 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I've recently started a MSc degree which is part time ie only 2 nights per week. I have since become unemployed and have paid for this course myself. I have looked into Higher Education Grants but as it is only part time I'm not entitled.

I heard recently that I may be able to get some assistance with my fees through FAS. I enquired about this before in my local dole office and was told I hadnt a hope. Im just wondering if anyone else in a similar situation has been able to re-coupe some of their fees.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭campuslife

Hi Betsy26,

I'm not aware of any such scheme as you mentioned, however that's not to say it doesn't exist. Bob in the Mature Student Support Office is very clued in on funding schemes/grant schemes for students, and does quite a bit of work with mature students who have recently been made unemployed.

You can contact him at 01-4027658 or at ms.info(at)dit.ie

He's a nice guy, and I hope he can help you out.

Best of luck,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ditmature

Hi Betsy26,

You're right in saying that as a part-time student, you do not qualify for the Higher Education Grant. Part-time students often get the sharp end of the stick when it comes to such financial assistance.

As a postgraduate student, you would not qualify for the Back To Education Allowance either - they currently only allocate the allowance to students doing postgraduate courses that lead to a teaching qualification - e.g. the PGDip Ed or the Graduate Diploma in Primary Education.

You may be eligible to apply to claim back some of your course fees through tax relief - it depends largely on the programme that you are studying. You can find a list of the courses approved for tax relief here: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html#section6

There's lots more information on this page: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/reliefs/tuition-fees.html

It doen't make a distinction between full and part-time postgraduate courses, so it would be worth looking into! You could be eligible to claim back tax relief at the standard rate (20%) for annual fees of up to €5000.

Feel free to drop me a line or give me a call and I'd be happy to talk about your options.

Best wishes,

Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Betsy26

That's great thanks a million, i'll check it out!

Advertisement