Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What climbers to plant to hide long wall

Options
  • 27-03-2009 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

We have just had our garden re-done with new patio and sodded lawn. We have a long border wall on two sides, it's about 30 metres in total. A narrowish bed runs along it, varies in width, 2 to 4 feet. I'd like to plant one or a selection of climbers to dilute the grey wall as much as possible.

The ideal spec for what we plant is that the climber(s) would not need chicken wire to latch onto. The wall is quite rough. I'd like the end result to include something that flowers, that has a nice scent, grows quickly for good coverage and is not bare in winter.

I know the answer is probably a mix of climbers but if anyone had any suggestions for what would do the above and go well together I would appreciate the advice. Would some sort of ivy plus one or two other more attractive flowering climbers be the best way forward? The wall is about 6 foot high. We intend to plant some flowers in the bed below, but that's another day's work. One side of the wall gets good afternoon light, the other side would not get a lot of light.

Ok, maybe I am pushing, but we have two other plant related questions!

We have an area of the garden that is quite dark, never gets natural light. Decent soil, not sandy. What would be good to plant here. It's a triangular bed, backs onto the house, it's about 4 foot deep at the widest point. Would ferns and rockery type approach be good here?

Last question!! The patio is rectangular, about 7 metres by 4 metres, with two sides adjacent to the garden wall. There is a small border between the flagstones (sandsone) and the wall, about 6-8 inches. This is filled in with pebbles at the moment but I can dig out pockets of it for planting. Something aromatic & flowering here would be great. Any ideas?

Sorry for such a long post with so many questions. Ignore it if you think I'm being cheeky, but any advice most welcome. Thanks, and happy gardening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The ideal spec for what we plant is that the climber(s) would not need chicken wire to latch onto. The wall is quite rough. I'd like the end result to include something that flowers, that has a nice scent, grows quickly for good coverage and is not bare in winter.

I know the answer is probably a mix of climbers but if anyone had any suggestions for what would do the above and go well together I would appreciate the advice. Would some sort of ivy plus one or two other more attractive flowering climbers be the best way forward?

I'm a big fan of scented plants, but they're not always the best looking. I love Jasmine (which will climb), Nicotiana, and Evening Primrose. The jasmine has bunches of tiny white flowers and needs a bit of support to climb but not chicken wire! Too ugly! If you hammer in a few masonary nails and stretch some wire between them, it'll be practically invisible and then all you do is attach the climbing tendrils now and again.

For looks, climbing Nastertiums grow very fast and have flowers all summer long and well into the autumn.

Nicotiana, and Evening Primrose I have in the front garden under the (leggy) hedge. People coming in and people passing by get the most wonderful aroma!

(This'll show you my priorities! I've done this beofer tackling the dandeloion lawn!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

thanks for reply, great info

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Climbers: Clematis Armandii 'Apple Blossom', Hardenbergia viol.,

Scented: Lavender 'Little Bee', Lavender 'Blueberry Ruffles'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

thank sonnenblumen

Advertisement