Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to split Deathly Hallows?

• 27-03-2009 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭

As we all know, the final book is to be split for the movie. Where do you think is the best place to split the book thus giving a good ending to the Deathly Hallow part 1??

I, myself think that when they manage to get the sword and break the locket is a good one as all the friends are reunited again but I'm not sure if the film would be long enough at that point.

What do you think??

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

They'll need to split the dramatic bits evenly between the two films

Those would be: (stop reading now if you haven't read the book!)
    - Removing Harry from Privet Drive
    - The wedding, and Tottenham Road
    - Possibly Kreacher's story? There could be a great flashback scene here
    - The Ministry of Magic
    - Godric's Hollow
    - The patronus/sword of Gryffindor
    - Xenophilius Lovegood
    - Snatchers/Malfoy Manor
    - Gringotts
    - Aberforth's story?
    - Battle of Hogwarts part 1
    - Snape's memories
    - Confrontation of Voldemort
    - Battle of Hogwarts part 2

Let me know if I forgot anything! Anyway, going by this I'd say they'll put the split after they meet with Xenophilius Lovegood (presuming they don't cut loads of the plot out) I know it's not long after the sword of Gryffindor part, but if anything I'd say they'll put less events into the second film to leave room to expand the battle scenes at the end. Also it is ending the film with finding out about the Deathly Hallows, and it would be a dramatic ending with the narrow escape and the destruction of half a building

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Fishie wrote: »
    They'll need to split the dramatic bits evenly between the two films

Those would be: (stop reading now if you haven't read the book!)
    - Removing Harry from Privet Drive
    - The wedding, and Tottenham Road
    - Possibly Kreacher's story? There could be a great flashback scene here
    - The Ministry of Magic
    - Godric's Hollow
    - The patronus/sword of Gryffindor
    - Xenophilius Lovegood
    - Snatchers/Malfoy Manor
    - Gringotts
    - Aberforth's story?
    - Battle of Hogwarts part 1
    - Snape's memories
    - Confrontation of Voldemort
    - Battle of Hogwarts part 2

Let me know if I forgot anything! Anyway, going by this I'd say they'll put the split after they meet with Xenophilius Lovegood (presuming they don't cut loads of the plot out) I know it's not long after the sword of Gryffindor part, but if anything I'd say they'll put less events into the second film to leave room to expand the battle scenes at the end. Also it is ending the film with finding out about the Deathly Hallows, and it would be a dramatic ending with the narrow escape and the destruction of half a building

They could also do it just after the snatchers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I wonder will the two parts be coming out in close succession?

I hope they come out within a month of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

At first I thought it should be after Ron is reunited with Harry and Hermione but now that I've read through Fishie's list, I think it should be just before Harry, Ron and Hermione fall through the floor at Xenophilius Lovegood's place. You'd have Hermione asking Harry and Ron if they trust her and just before she's about to act...to be continued. That'd be a nice cliffhanger. You'd also have the Deathly Hallows explained before the end of the first filim.

Deedsie wrote: »
    I wonder will the two parts be coming out in close succession?

I hope they come out within a month of each other.

From IMDb:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I
    19 November 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II
    15 July 2011

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

That is true, the snatchers would be a good place to end the film cos the three of them really do appear to be screwed when they get into that pickle with the dungeon and the torture! I remember when I was reading it for the first time, I couldn't work out how they were going to get out of that one. Also, it would leave them more time in the second film to flesh out the battle scenes - imagine it, giants destroying the walls of the castle, they are going to go mental with the CGI! I still think Xenophilius's place would be a great ending to the first film as well

I can see a case to end it at Malfoy's but that seems like a bridge too far and all the events from "Snatchers/Malfoy Manor" all the way to the end would probably flow better as one movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I think they should split It at Dobbys death/funeral . .

That seems a bit too far into the book to end the first film and I'd imagine the directors/writers/etc would consider that ending too dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

JJ wrote: »
    I can see a case to end it at Malfoy's but that seems like a bridge too far and all the events from "Snatchers/Malfoy Manor" all the way to the end would probably flow better as one movie.

Kinda why I was thinking that just as Harry says "Voldemort" and the snatchers appear, would be a good end point.

Where ever they end it, will end up going to see it anyway

• Advertisement

JJ wrote: »
    That seems a bit too far into the book to end the first film and I'd imagine the directors/writers/etc would consider that ending too dark.

Now I think of it, it might a bit to far, how about just after snatchers when they thrown in to dungeons, it be a cliffhanger( for the ones who have not read the books)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

God so many places!

The Wedding maybe when the Patronus informs them "Scrimgeour is dead The Ministry has Fallen" that would be a good cliff hanger or

before or after the Gryffindor sword and destroying the horcrux

or Dobbys death and or burial at Shell Cottage...

I guess it really depends on how important the final battle at Hogwarts is and of course Snapes tale is and how long they really want to devote to that and the 19 years later part....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

Do you think they will add in the 19 years later chapter? If not, it leaves the story open for other writers to continue as Warner Bros own the rights to the films even if JK doesn't want it done. But at the same time, I think it cheapens the books. I think it would have been better without it. Tough decision. If they leave it out then they would have to split the book earlier on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Love2love wrote: »
    Do you think they will add in the 19 years later chapter? If not, it leaves the story open for other writers to continue as Warner Bros own the rights to the films even if JK doesn't want it done. But at the same time, I think it cheapens the books. I think it would have been better without it. Tough decision. If they leave it out then they would have to split the book earlier on.

I don't think that chapter would take that long, a 3 minute scene would cover it. Just have them at Platform 9 3/4 with their kids, a few tears from hermione and ginny and hugs from the men and wave their kids off while slyly using their names. I have to reread that book.

yeah i think they will have to add it in.. lot of dissapointed fans otherwise! Oh so exciting not long til half blood prince now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 whitecrocus92

this is seriously worrying me...HP directors, lets face it, have a bad track record for keeping in fun/vital plot points...cough Norbert cough beginning of 4th book cough older weasly brothers cough Percy fight.....to name but a few
    i was thinking a good place to go would be just after Ron rejoins them, or when they first realise that they have to get the hallows, OR after Dobby dies. because the idea of the hallows would have to be thouroughly explained at the end of the 1st movie, but not 2 much because you just know people will have forgotten by the time the 2nd movie comes out

they REALLY need 2 do justice to the Battle of Hogwarts, torture scenes at the Malfoys, the search for the Hallows and Godric's Hollow scene...

theres alot 2 chew on there. fingers crossed they don't make a balls of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It would have to be at some point after the Lovegood encounter because without that you really have no clear explanation for what is going on with the first half of the Deathly Hallows. And before their escape from the Malfoy manor because, once they do, that really puts them in a good place to start off the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Looking at it from the film makers point of view, I would imagine that they will want an action packed last act to the first film. So I would imagine they will probably finish it with the big ruck at the Lovegoods...

Not saying that where it should be split, but I think it's the best fit for the "three act" format most films use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,685 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

That and their getting caught by the deatheaters (when Harry says Voldemort) would be a good fast opener for the last movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

All of the harry potter movies have always ended with a big ending so i dont think the lovegoods really does justice for for like a big ending. Id say maybe the ganging getting out of malfoy manor and then laying Dobby to rest. Then the next film taking up at shell cottage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 mantom

I think it should either be when the Snatchers turn up after Harry says Voldemort, or just when Dobby dies when they escape from Malfoy Manor to at Shell Cottage.. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Love2love wrote: »
    Do you think they will add in the 19 years later chapter? If not, it leaves the story open for other writers to continue as Warner Bros own the rights to the films even if JK doesn't want it done.

Hmm....I'd be amazed if any other HP films are made without JK's consent. Warner Bros might own the rights to the films but JK owns the rights to the characters and settings (Hogwarts, Platform 9 3/4 etc) so it would be impossible for another writer to use any names or locations from any of the books.

I think the Harry Potter tale has run it's course anyway as the (obvious) main thread through the books is the story of a boy wizard. So that story has been well and truly told.

It would be great if (like George Lucas) JK Rowling gives the OK for other writers to expand on the HP world and continue with stories revolving around Hogwarts and new students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

mach1982 wrote: »
    I think they should split It at Dobbys death/funeral . .

Spot on. The perfect spot IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

keefg wrote: »
    Hmm....I'd be amazed if any other HP films are made without JK's consent. Warner Bros might own the rights to the films but JK owns the rights to the characters and settings (Hogwarts, Platform 9 3/4 etc) so it would be impossible for another writer to use any names or locations from any of the books.

So, after a little bit of digging I have come back to correct my original post. Seems like Ms. Rowling did indeed sell off Harry Potter lock, stock & barrel to Warner Bros who own the copyright to all the characters & settings.

I'm really surprised at that (must have been a very nice cheque) and not sure how I feel about it.

On one hand it's great that there "could" be more movies based in the HP world after Deathly Hallows.

On other hand, any films made without JK's input or that are not based on a HP novel could be REALLY bad and tarnish the franchise.

Time will tell.

Maybe it wont be a Flim, may be Tv series following the adventures of Harry kids at Hogwarts. And the Film cast can make guest appearances.

vflhp wrote: »
    Spot on. The perfect spot IMO.

Yeh it would be perfect , I can just see it now( now that I've seen the shell cottage pics). Harry apparates Dobby falls, he screams we see Bill and Luna running towards them and Ron and Hermione looking at Harry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think, if I was in the director's chair, that I would end Part 1 with Harry and Ron retrieving the Sword of Gryffindor and smashing the locket. The final scene would be the three friends in the tent with them regaining their determination and focus in finding the remaining horcruxe's. The film would end on a renewed sense of hope.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

i just reread the book. God, i had forgotten just how good it is. I really hope the directors do it justice and don't fcuk it up:D

i reckon it should be slit just after the Lovegood scene for 3 reasons:

You hav the 3 of them reunited
    The Deathly Hallows are explained
    and It ends on a bang (literally)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Joshua Herdman, who plays Goyle, has just revealed where it's going to be split! I'll put it in spoilers for those of you who don't want to know.
    Herdman said that the current plan was to split Deathly Hallows just after the trio are captured by the Snatchers and right before they are taken to Malfoy Manor.

http://mugglenet.com/app/category/show/78

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭AndRoiD

im more concerned about how they are going to integrate the fact that harry knows what items are horcruxes considering they left all that part out of the 6th movie which was a massive mistake imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Thanks for that dude! I must have a re-read before November, I seem to have forgotten alot! :)

Huh. I expected the split point to be closer to the middle of the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Its a good decision IMO. it means the battle of Hogwarts should be at least half of the the final film and won't be like the last movie disreguarding the actual fighting in Hogwarts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

It's nearer the middle than you think when you consider the destruction of the Burrow will likely see the wedding scene left out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

GodlessM wrote: »
    It's nearer the middle than you think when you consider the destruction of the Burrow will likely see the wedding scene left out.

The wedding scene is definitely in the movie. The movie was test screened in Chicago last weekend and this was confirmed. I'd say it's likely that a lot of the camping and travelling through forests will be cut out or maybe even made into a montage (preferably not like those in OOTP!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, dude! :D

Kevski wrote: »
    The wedding scene is definitely in the movie. The movie was test screened in Chicago last weekend and this was confirmed. I'd say it's likely that a lot of the camping and travelling through forests will be cut out or maybe even made into a montage (preferably not like those in OOTP!).

So they have the wedding in a ruin then, or another location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

GodlessM wrote: »
    So they have the wedding in a ruin then, or another location?

Well I don't know, I haven't seen the movie. Maybe they rebuilt it?

This should give you some info, it's full of spoilers though: http://www.mugglenet.com/movies/movie7/dh_review.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

This should give you some info, it's full of spoilers though: http://www.mugglenet.com/movies/movie7/dh_review.shtml

Never saw so many spoilers on one page before!!!

they do stick very true to the book by the sound of it though . . .

• Advertisement

That's a good read, and is good to see a lot of the stuff the internet masses thought would be left out are in. Looks like just about everything is left in. They must have really cinematised the battle for part 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭JonSnuuu

God so many places!

The Wedding maybe when the Patronus informs them "Scrimgeour is dead The Ministry has Fallen" that would be a good cliff hanger

Ah now in all fairness the wedding would be waaaay too early to cut it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

johnt91 wrote: »
    Ah now in all fairness the wedding would be waaaay too early to cut it!

Way too early, round the malfoys is best.

Advertisement