Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia Software Version 7.8.0r2 port forwarding

Options
  • 27-03-2009 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Help I'm going insane.

I have a ip camera and wanted to connect to it remotely. I have done this in the past on a different router.
    All I did was set up port forwarding, I would log onto the routers ip address with :81 after the ip address and the router was set to send anything coming in on port 81 to the ip address of the camera. This worked fine. But I cannot find any way of making in work on the Netopia.
    There is custom services but the only place you seem to be able to direct the data to, is the pc. No place to put in an ip address or anything else listed but the pc. Any idea's I'll best the man or women who can work it out.
    Thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah I dont like the netopia interface for port forwarding.

But what you need to do is to set up the "custom service" first. You basically need to say forward

name: give it a name
    port 81
    port range 81-81
    protocol TCP

Once you have added the custom service to the list, you then need to enable it for the internal IP of the device.

I have also found that you need to go back to Basic Mode and set the security level to Low or it will not work. I think that this is stupid tbh, but I dont know another way.

I cant remember the exact settings as I dont have one in front of me, but I added a port forward to one of these last week and that is as much as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pactor

I'm not sure what I was doing wrong I think I was trying to direct 81 directly to the video port.
    I had to put 2 forward in one for port 81 and one for the video.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Take down your camera's IP address, the settings open for all to see.

MC

The ip changes when the modem restarts so it changed now.
    I have a program running that emails the ip every few hours.
    After a power cut there's a new ip.

I did a factory reset and it sorted things out.
    Drop down menus appeared with the ip address's of the camera's I wanted to connect to it made thing so much easier.
    I wasted all day on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

pactor wrote: »
    The ip changes when the modem restarts so it changed now.
    I have a program running that emails the ip every few hours.
    After a power cut there's a new ip.

I did a factory reset and it sorted things out.
    Drop down menus appeared with the ip address's of the camera's I wanted to connect to it made thing so much easier.
    I wasted all day on it.

Why not just get yourself a dyndns.org domain and then you'll not have to worry about the IP changing.

MC

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip.
    I did see a setup for that in the camera's but was not sure what it was for.
    I'll give it a go.

Advertisement