Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight To Las Vegas

Options
  • 27-03-2009 1:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hey..
    I just booked 7 nights in Vegas for August in the MGM Grand. We're travelling Dublin-London Gatwick-Vegas with Aer Lingus/Virgin and I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with this flight before. I am worried as we have so little time in London!!!

I went to Vegas last year on the Dublin-Chicago-Vegas flight with American Airlines and had no problems, but I thought the London flight would mean a bit less travel time! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

LeanneK wrote: »
    Hey..
    I just booked 7 nights in Vegas for August in the MGM Grand. We're travelling Dublin-London Gatwick-Vegas with Aer Lingus/Virgin and I'm wondering if anyone has had any problems with this flight before. I am worried as we have so little time in London!!!

I went to Vegas last year on the Dublin-Chicago-Vegas flight with American Airlines and had no problems, but I thought the London flight would mean a bit less travel time! :D

There's risk;
    How much time have you in London?
    Do you have to change terminals?
    Anybody with you have a non-EU passport?

Whenever I've done it I've flown in the night before with Ryanair and got a cheap room in the airport hotel (the one with a pool table and bar :) ).

Not worth risking it.

PS there is no better value way to travel to Vegas than with Virgin Atlantic. Places are niiice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 LeanneK

I have 3 hours 15 mins in London exactly! Please dont tell me I'm screwed coz I have booked it already.... :(
    Both aer lingus and virgin are in the same terminal- south terminal, if that helps! And we're all Irish travelling??
    Please tell me Im safe????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I have 3 hours 15 mins in London exactly! Please dont tell me I'm screwed coz I have booked it already.... :(
    Both aer lingus and virgin are in the same terminal- south terminal, if that helps! And we're all Irish travelling??
    Please tell me Im safe????

3h 15m ?

You have plenty of time!

Have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Is it on the same ticket? If so, you're bags will be checked through, and you may even get your boarding pass. You'll still have to exit into arrivals and re-clear security, but that shouldn't be too bad.

If it's seperate tickets, you'll have to collect bags, re-checkin etc which isn't ideal, but you should have enough time to do that - if everything goes to pla.

Really??? Phew..
    Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Is it on the same ticket? If so, you're bags will be checked through, and you may even get your boarding pass. You'll still have to exit into arrivals and re-clear security, but that shouldn't be too bad.

If it's seperate tickets, you'll have to collect bags, re-checkin etc which isn't ideal, but you should have enough time to do that - if everything goes to pla.

Well i booked it through seperate websites.. aerlingus.ie and virgin.. so they wouldn't be the same ticket.. i was wondering if there was anything aer lingus could do for me though as I heard that they can check bags straight through with virgin atlantic??? i don't know though!
    I could always check in online too i suppose.. to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Well i booked it through seperate websites.. aerlingus.ie and virgin.. so they wouldn't be the same ticket.. i was wondering if there was anything aer lingus could do for me though as I heard that they can check bags straight through with virgin atlantic??? i don't know though!
    I could always check in online too i suppose.. to be safe!
    Please be aware that Aer Lingus will no longer check bags all the way through if a passenger has a separate ticket with another airline even if they provide the separate tickets at check-in.

The only time this will be done is if they are connecting Aer Lingus to Aer Lingus.

You should still be fine, check in online for both flights, collect your bags and head straight to departures for the Virgin bag drop desks.

I hope so.. I thought this was the ingenious way of getting to vegas but now I am worried.. I would really love to know if anyone has travelled this way..
    I am sure they have though as ebookers offer it as part of one of their DUB to VEGAS packages.. this is kind of giving me some confidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

My brother did the same. I met him in Gatwick and we had loads of time.
    Around 3 pints worth....

You're only real worry is that you get away from Dublin on time.

dermCu wrote: »
    My brother did the same. I met him in Gatwick and we had loads of time.
    Around 3 pints worth....

You're only real worry is that you get away from Dublin on time.

Really.. that's great!
    I will swim from Dublin if I have to! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Was it not a bit late to be asking the question as you had allready the flight booked!

finbarrk wrote: »
    Was it not a bit late to be asking the question as you had allready the flight booked!

Thanks for the input but we're thinking positive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Aer Lingus won't check the bags through to Virgin on seperate tickets, so you will have to pick them up and drop them at the Virgin desks in Gatwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squonk_ie

I did this trip last year. Be warned that the queue for the Virgin flights at Gatwick can be enormous. However they are very good at taking people out of the queue whose flights are close to leaving.

I had an issue on the way back. The flight leaving Vegas was 4 hours late. Virgin did send me a text letting me know of the delay so I did not have to sit in the international terminal at McCarran which is not exactly packed with stuff to do. Free wi-fi though. As a result I missed my flight back to Dublin even though I had left 3.5 hours in between flights. I did have seperate tickets for each leg though so if you have booked an all in ticket you should be ok. Be warned the Virgin flight to and from Vegas is notoriously unreliable

Have a ball. The MGM is fab but is really really big!

squonk_ie wrote: »
    I did this trip last year. Be warned that the queue for the Virgin flights at Gatwick can be enormous. However they are very good at taking people out of the queue whose flights are close to leaving.

I had an issue on the way back. The flight leaving Vegas was 4 hours late. Virgin did send me a text letting me know of the delay so I did not have to sit in the international terminal at McCarran which is not exactly packed with stuff to do. Free wi-fi though. As a result I missed my flight back to Dublin even though I had left 3.5 hours in between flights. I did have seperate tickets for each leg though so if you have booked an all in ticket you should be ok. Be warned the Virgin flight to and from Vegas is notoriously unreliable

Have a ball. The MGM is fab but is really really big!

Thanks! I no i cant wait.. i stayed in the Signature last year so Im used to the long walk! :D

Hopefully everything will be ok.. im just happy to know that someone else did the trip! at this stage i dont mind if the virgin flight is delayed.. just one im on it!

Advertisement