Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wit Parking protest????

• 27-03-2009 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

can't seen anything in the news reports, but I caught only a few mins of a news update, it was on about a protest by the residents around the WIT, about the parking issues they are experiecing...
    anybody got any further news on this protest or was I just imagining it????

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Just passed the back and front on the bus... no sign of any protest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Sully wrote: »
    Just passed the back and front on the bus... no sign of any protest!

maybe I was just dreaming then

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No protest when I walked by few min ago, not many student cars thrown around the place like normal which I thought was strange,

I honestly can't blame the residents if you do given the way most cars seem to be just thrown around when people live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It's Friday. Not even the main campus car park is half full!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

protest was for a hour or so this morning afaik...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Could it possibly be the worst protest in history seeing as noone I know of even knew it was on? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

ziedth wrote: »
    Could it possibly be the worst protest in history seeing as noone I know of even knew it was on? :pac:

As I understand it, it wasn't a protest per se with placards and chanting etc, there was a meeting of the residents association in the college. There was some coverage of it on wlr this morning with residents making some pretty reasonable complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jackhammer

As I understand it, it wasn't a protest per se with placards and chanting etc, there was a meeting of the residents association in the college. There was some coverage of it on wlr this morning with residents making some pretty reasonable complaints.

That's correct. The meeting was held last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

It didn't go too well. I believe the main man in the college, Kieran Byrne didn't even bother to show up.

A couldn't-care-less attitude? Surely not!! :rolleyes:

gscully wrote: »
    It didn't go too well. I believe the main man in the college, Kieran Byrne didn't even bother to show up.

A couldn't-care-less attitude? Surely not!! :rolleyes:

serioulsy thats a disgrace from the WIT, is it any wonder the parts of the community doesn't support their call for upgrades and planning apps, when they couldn't be bothered to turn up and listen to the local people having issues with the college

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

robtri wrote: »
    serioulsy thats a disgrace from the WIT, is it any wonder the parts of the community doesn't support their call for upgrades and planning apps, when they couldn't be bothered to turn up and listen to the local people having issues with the college

You're right, lets cut off our nose to spite our face. We'll show Kieran Byrne by making sure WIT never gets an upgrade, and when he moves on somewhere else and we're ****ed because we have no university, that'll show him, right?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

merlante wrote: »
    You're right, lets cut off our nose to spite our face. We'll show Kieran Byrne by making sure WIT never gets an upgrade, and when he moves on somewhere else and we're ****ed because we have no university, that'll show him, right?

Yes. Good to see your finally coming around!! :P

interesting reply....
    but serioulsy how can WIt expect support from the local community, when that community goes to them with issues about their staff and students and the head fellow doesn't bother his arse to show up...

ohh sorry I am forgetting this is the WIT, we should be giving them our support blindly

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I believe the feeling from alot of people would be "if the WIT don't give a **** about us why should we give a **** about the WIT", while it may be short sighted I don't blame them one bit

But then perhaps its extremely short sighted on the WIT's side as well? :)

interesting reply....
    but serioulsy how can WIt expect support from the local community, when that community goes to them with issues about their staff and students and the head fellow doesn't bother his arse to show up...

ohh sorry I am forgetting this is the WIT, we should be giving them our support blindly

Yes you should be giving your support blindly and willingly because the WIT will be educating the people of Waterford long after every current member of staff has moved on.

That doesn't mean that issues shouldn't be sorted, but suggesting it's an us against them scenario is short sighted, and a case of cutting off our nose to spite your face. People should complain about individuals *NOT* the WIT itself, because we're basically all shareholders.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I believe the feeling from alot of people would be "if the WIT don't give a **** about us why should we give a **** about the WIT", while it may be short sighted I don't blame them one bit

But then perhaps its extremely short sighted on the WIT's side as well? :)

Those people are idiots. Where are their kids going to go to college? How many other employers employ 1,000 people directly and god knows how many on contract? What other institution is going to bring in millions in research funding into Waterford? What other institution is going to attract business to the region? What other institution is capable of taking on the personal development (adult courses) work load? WIT is central to almost everything that happens in Waterford. The sooner people realise that the better.

If people have problems with individuals like Kieran Byrne, fine, he won't be there forever. Protest, march, complain: fine. But suggesting that WIT is like some enemy that is against the people, and for that reason people shouldn't support its bid for university status, etc., is mind boggling stupidity. Never has the phrase 'cutting your nose to spite your face' every been used more appropriately.

And FYI, I'm all in favour of the parking problems being sorted. More power to those trying to sort them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

People should complain about individuals *NOT* the WIT itself, because we're basically all shareholders.

By individuals do you mean the students who own the cars the residents are angry about?

I believe its WITs fault, there is simply not enough parking spaces. I attended WIT last year and travelled about 30mins to get there every day. Basically if you arrived after half 9, forget about college until at least 12 because there was simply nowhere to park (both legal and illegal spaces inside the college will have been taken). Unless..... you park in lismore or somewhere. There should simply be more parking spaces available to students.

Used to be hilarious seeing where some people attempted to park in the back car park though :pac:

MissesMe wrote: »
    By individuals do you mean the students who own the cars the residents are angry about?

I believe its WITs fault, there is simply not enough parking spaces. I attended WIT last year and travelled about 30mins to get there every day. Basically if you arrived after half 9, forget about college until at least 12 because there was simply nowhere to park (both legal and illegal spaces inside the college will have been taken). Unless..... you park in lismore or somewhere. There should simply be more parking spaces available to students.

Used to be hilarious seeing where some people attempted to park in the back car park though :pac:

I agree with all of that. I can see everybody's point of view, and the situation should definitely be sorted out ASAP.

Yes you should be giving your support blindly and willingly because the WIT will be educating the people of Waterford long after every current member of staff has moved on.

That doesn't mean that issues shouldn't be sorted, but suggesting it's an us against them scenario is short sighted, and a case of cutting off our nose to spite your face. People should complain about individuals *NOT* the WIT itself, because we're basically all shareholders.

you see this is where we will never agree, I don't believe in supporting something blindly... I can't...
    I do agree with you that WIT, will be here long after the staff have moved on.
    but to a lot of locals WIT is making it them against us, WIT want public support for planning apps, WIT possible upgrade, but yet WIT aren't willing to deal with the issues that are effecting peoples lives day in day out by members of their staff and student body....

to the local residents in the parking area's effected, the parking issue is bigger than the upgrade to the WIT is.... to them on an individual level, the stress and the day to day annoyence of what is happening outside their home is way more important that a WIT upgrade or planning app....
    to them bigger campus or upgrade is more students and staff which equals more headaches and misery for them every day the college is open....
    it is not the locals cutting off their noses, its the WIT.
    I would not support them blindly, but I would support the WIT in a lot of matters

you see this is where we will never agree, I don't believe in supporting something blindly... I can't...
    I do agree with you that WIT, will be here long after the staff have moved on.
    but to a lot of locals WIT is making it them against us, WIT want public support for planning apps, WIT possible upgrade, but yet WIT aren't willing to deal with the issues that are effecting peoples lives day in day out by members of their staff and student body....

to the local residents in the parking area's effected, the parking issue is bigger than the upgrade to the WIT is.... to them on an individual level, the stress and the day to day annoyence of what is happening outside their home is way more important that a WIT upgrade or planning app....
    to them bigger campus or upgrade is more students and staff which equals more headaches and misery for them every day the college is open....
    it is not the locals cutting off their noses, its the WIT.
    I would not support them blindly, but I would support the WIT in a lot of matters

Can I just ask you this? Who suffers if the WIT does not get the planning it needs or an upgrade?

Does Kieran Byrne suffer, with his lucrative retirement package, probably living in a villa in the south of France? (Does he ****.) Or do the people of Waterford suffer?

• Advertisement

Can I just ask you this? Who suffers if the WIT does not get the planning it needs or an upgrade?

Does Kieran Byrne suffer, with his lucrative retirement package, probably living in a villa in the south of France? (Does he ****.) Or do the people of Waterford suffer?

chances are a lot of the current locals giving out about the WIT don't suffer too much if the WIT gets refused, actually propablly will suffer more if it did get the upgrade.
    It would be the region of the southeast will suffer, I will not argue that point.

actually yes, K.Byrne and the staff and the future head and staff do suffer, they get a crap load more money in their salary working for a Uni and not an IT.....

so in short I am saying the people who will suffer the most if WIT gets the go ahead is the very local people, the ones the WIT need to support them the most.

so in short I am saying the people who will suffer the most if WIT gets the go ahead is the very local people, the ones the WIT need to support them the most.

Agreed, so WIT gets an upgrade (very unlikely in current climate) and then its still not willing to talk to locals...locals are still being screwed,

Why should the locals blindly support a organization that refuses to deal with them correctly as it is, they'll only see it as a lose lose situation

merlante I get your in support of it, but requesting people blindly support them no matter what they do is just wrong

You know what, lads, you've convinced me.

You know what, lads, you've convinced me.

We all knew we'd change your view eventually
    :pac::pac:

Cabaal wrote: »
    We all knew we'd change your view eventually
    :pac::pac:

I should just get with the programme. Hurt WIT, hurt the council, hurt the government, then find another crowd to blame and hurt them, and throw our hands in the air in dispair when things go downhill. I'd be happier really. :)

I should just get with the programme. Hurt WIT, hurt the council, hurt the government, then find another crowd to blame and hurt them, and throw our hands in the air in dispair when things go downhill. I'd be happier really. :)

I know a good hypontist who helps people stop smoking. Maybe we can ask him to help out out, so you can kick the dirty habbit of being 100% pro Waterford?!

(I kid, I kid!)

(Btw, it is time for a change in government. Afterall, our beloved council are being screwed because of them and that boils down to the other debate on the forum regarding bins)

I know a good hypontist who helps people stop smoking. Maybe we can ask him to help out out, so you can kick the dirty habbit of being 100% pro Waterford?!

(I kid, I kid!)

(Btw, it is time for a change in government. Afterall, our beloved council are being screwed because of them and that boils down to the other debate on the forum regarding bins)

Sully, I'd be well able to kick the habit if it wasn't for the likes of boards making my life a misery with their crazy rules and not listening to the residents... I mean users... and my internet service provider doesn't listen to or give me any choice, think I'll set boards and my ISP on fire, that'll show them! :eek: And then I'll wreck the park -- that'll show the council, and destroy the planes in the airport -- that'll show Aer Arann and the airport. I'll revel in the wreckage that's left behind!

(I kid, I kid!)

I would consider myself pro waterford, thats why I would take side with the residents of waterford on this point.....
    I accept that fact that the upgrading of the WIT would be of massive benifit to the South east as well as Waterford, but and I stress but, if they are not deserving of an upgrade I don't think they should get it, that sort of behaviour has gotten this country in so much trouble, its not what you know its who you know sort of deals....
    but in this thread the peple have a voice and need to be given their right to have their issues addressed... if Wit had addressed this issue when it raised its head originally, I would assume a lot of people locally would be more inclined to support and not put down WIT....
    you can't blame peopl for being a bit short sighted when their lives are a misery because of this issue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 FineFinn

It seems that there are many third level institutions in Ireland that have parking issues - UCC only seems to have on-campus parking for staff members, for example, and Trinity College doesn't appear to have parking facilities at all. It's an issue in many Finnish colleges also, but whether or not a facility 'deserves' university status is not measured according to such factors.

I can understand that it's frustrating for local residents, but surely it's up to the municipality to put proper measures in place; disk parking exclusively for residents, for instance, which is then properly supervised, with offenders penalised accordingly. Are there such measures in place? Not to mention adequate public transport to and from the institute.

I hardly see how the Waterford Institute, or any other college, is responsible for the fact that pretty much everyone in Ireland seems to have bought cars for their children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MissesMe

I hardly see how the Waterford Institute, or any other college, is responsible for the fact that pretty much everyone in Ireland seems to have bought cars for their children.

I resent that statement, anyone in my class in college worked part time to afford their own cars, not as many mammy and daddy handouts as you'd like to think!

In my four years at WIT they put up the gallery, the IT building, the nurses building and at the start of this year they added another building, and no extra parking spaces that i found.

More parking spaces needed

Advertisement