Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help a brother out

Options
  • 27-03-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Alright this has been driving me choco banana's so i need advice.

My neighbour agreed to let me use his internet via wireless. He's on eircom and he gave me the WPA-Key. I have my own wireless internet via my Netgear Router.

I installed a second network card so that I could connect to both at once. Installed no problem and can connect to both via Vista's wireless configurator (ultimate 64bit).

When connected to both the network says I'm not connected to the internet but I am however its pretty slow and its alot faster if I'm just connected to one or the other. I believe I'll need to some load balancing software or possible something to bond both networks together. I've googled this for weeks with no success.

What I need is a software solution to solve this problem can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

You can't use them at the same time (ie. to increase your bandwidth) but what you can do is use them together so if one disconnects, the other takes priority.

In Network Connections, right click on the better Wireless Connection and go to Properties. From here:

Select "Internet Protocol Version 4" and go to Properties > Advanced > Untick "Automatic metric" > Change Interface Metric to 1 > OK > OK > OK.

Do the same for the Secondary Wireless Connection except set the Metric to 2.

This way, the faster wireless connection (Metric 1) will have priority but if it disconnects, the other one takes it's place until the faster one reconnects. It's just setting the priorites correct. The only way to get more bandwidth is through your ISP.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

So i can't use something like netlimiter to assign bandwidth from one NIC to one application say gaming and then the other to internet and downloading? this will just basically add fallback functionality to my computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Unfortunately not but luckily in some cases it's useful when you use the Local Area Connection and the Wireless Connection together. For instanace, in work I have two computers and I use Synergy (lets you use your keyboard and mouse on multiple computers over a network) which always takes the LAN as the default connection which leaves my wireless adapter free for the Internet because it has priority (Metric 1). Very useful considering my PC on the left is on the work network (loads of sites blocked) but the one of the right hss full access while allowing Synergy still to work.

Advertisement