Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headford Galway

Options
  • 27-03-2009 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭

hello
    i'm a keen fisherman and will be based down in headford for a few days next week for work purposes but hope to bring my rods, nets etc down
    would anyone have any suggestions for some fresh-water fishing
    no smart gags about fresh-water in galway!

gracias

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Duckfly is up on Corrib, with trout starting to move to surface flies. Ask in the Anglers Rest about boat hire or a guide for an evening.
    The Black River a couple of miles north has some good trout fishing - small rod and small flies, its a small river but worth a go.
    The Clare River at Claregalway for salmon and trout - don't forget your licence!
    The Cong River at Ashford Castle for salmon and trout.
    The Cong Canal for trout.
    Call into John Fahy in Cong Angling Centre he's great for advice.
    Plenty of options...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

good man

tried for 2 days on the cong river without any success
    very disappointing
    water quality was very poor
    very disappointing overall

conno16 wrote: »
    tried for 2 days on the cong river without any success
    very disappointing
    water quality was very poor
    very disappointing overall

Water quality? What was poor about it?
    Sorry you didn't get a fish but thats fishing, there have been some very good salmon taken there in the last week.

what sort of bait would you recommend?
    tried some worms and a little bread but may as well have stuck a mars bar to the end of my line!

water was real murky i felt
    where i was standing there was a load of rubbish dumped about 100/150 metres up stream
    shocking i must admit

• Advertisement

conno16 wrote: »
    what sort of bait would you recommend?
    tried some worms and a little bread but may as well have stuck a mars bar to the end of my line!

water was real murky i felt
    where i was standing there was a load of rubbish dumped about 100/150 metres up stream
    shocking i must admit

Murky water doesn't mean poor water quality, it can be just silt from upstream. This time of year many rivers are still silty as they are running higher than summer level and carry more silt particles. The water quality in Cong is usually excellent.
    As for bait, shrimp is best for salmon in Cong, worms for trout and salmon. Its a bit early yet, in a few weeks time the river will be heaving with salmon, but the trout don't really run the river til later in the summer. But it was the best place in the area to try for a salmon.
    You may as well have eaten the bread!

Advertisement