Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the season - from around Europe

• 27-03-2009 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

So who do you think has been the team of the season from around Europe this season?

Mine;
    Diego Lopez
    Dani Alves
    Vidic
    ????
    Evra
    Messi
    Xavi
    Gerrard
    Ribery
    Villa
    Eto'o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Can only go on what I've seen so -

Schwarzer

Maicon
    Vidic
    Hangeland
    Alves

Messi
    Ireland
    Xavi
    Ribery

Ibisevic
    Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,457 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Can only go on what I've seen so -

Schwarzer

Maicon
    Vidic
    Hangeland
    Alves

Messi
    Ireland
    Xavi
    Ribery

Ibisevic
    Eto'o
    Alves at LB? Has he played there at all?

Alves at LB? Has he played there at all?

No, and he could switch with Maicon, but both 100% deserve to be in the team so that's the only way I could accomodate them.

Haven't been impressed with any left backs really either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

have to say i hate these threads when the season isnt even over yet:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Mgoraf

Hangeland is a good shout. Can't think of many other CBs that have stood out :S

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    have to say i hate these threads when the season isnt even over yet:mad:

If it's good enough for the PFA it's good enough for us ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Akinfeev

Alves
    Vidic
    Marquez
    Maicon

Messi
    Essein
    Xavi
    Ribery

Henry
    Eto'o

Subs:
    GK?
    Del Piero
    Vagner Love
    Ireland
    Puyol
    Sagna
    Yaya

Essein is questionable as he has been out for so long but in his first few games back he looked like he had never been out. And to me that shows serious mental strength and dedication and there is no team that wouldn't benefit from signing him.

I was in the same boat as Xav6i in wanting to include both Alves and Maicon so I just went ahead with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

well i've only seen La Liga and the prem to be honest (though Ribery's done enough in the CL to get in)

Casillas

Alves
    Skrtel
    Vidic
    ??????

Ireland
    Xavi

Messi
    Gerrard
    Ribery

Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

????
    Alves
    Vidic
    Aurelio
    Gerrard -- Ireland -- Cambiasso --- Iniesta
    Messi --- Etoo --- Del Piero

No CBs have really stood out for me except for Vidic.

Goalie is a tough one. No idea tbh.

Vokes wrote: »

????
    Alves
    Vidic
    Aurelio

Please tell me there's two of them and it's not that sham who plays for Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Please tell me there's two of them and it's not that sham who plays for Liverpool.

Sham? That's completely ridiculous.

Aurelio has been outstanding for Liverpool whenever he's been fit for the last couple of seasons. Particularly this year when he's had a run of games. Watch the real and United games and watch Robben and Ronaldo try and get the better of him.

Sham? That's completely ridiculous.

Aurelio has been outstanding for Liverpool whenever he's been fit for the last couple of seasons. Particularly this year when he's had a run of games. Watch the real and United games and watch Robben and Ronaldo try and get the better of him.

He's not even the best left back at Anfield.

True, Gerrard probably would be if we played him there. But Aurelio is way better than Dossena, and at this moment in time he's better than Insua.

Neither Aurelio not Skrtel deserve to be in that side.
    Aurelio isn't even the best left back in the Premiership, let alone Europe.
    And Skrtel is nowhere near deserving of a place on a European 11.

Frisbee wrote: »
    Neither Aurelio not Skrtel deserve to be in that side.
    Aurelio isn't even the best left back in the Premiership, let alone Europe.
    And Skrtel is nowhere near deserving of a place on a European 11.

I agree about Aurelio. But Skrtel has been immense for Liverpool all season, and came back from his injury like he'd never been away. I sure as hell wouldn't swap him for Marquez or Hangeland who other people have picked.

Essien is easily the most undeserving of any of the picks so far. How many games has he played?

I agree about Aurelio. But Skrtel has been immense for Liverpool all season, and came back from his injury like he'd never been away. I sure as hell wouldn't swap him for Marquez or Hangeland who other people have picked.

Essien is easily the most undeserving of any of the picks so far. How many games has he played?

I explained my reasoning behind picking Essein though. He came back from injury like he had never been away and has been immense as per usual.

I would pick Marquez over Aurelio 10 times out of 10.

Premiership LB's better than Aurelio:
    Evra
    Clichy
    Cole
    Bridge

Premiership LB's on par with Aurelio:
    Baines
    Bouma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

yes he is. by some considerable margin. he is a brilliant player when fit.

can jokers please stop taking the piss by putting Ireland into their teams ahead of Gerrard. silly kids.

Alot of people have said Hangeland has been one of the players of the season so far. Probably does deserve to be there ahead of Skertl in fairness.

I explained my reasoning behind picking Essein though. He came back from injury like he had never been away and has been immense as per usual.

I would pick Marquez over Aurelio 10 times out of 10.

Premiership LB's better than Aurelio:
    Evra
    Clichy
    Cole
    Bridge

Premiership LB's on par with Aurelio:
    Baines
    Bouma

Marquez and Aurelio play different positions

Bouma and Baines? You are having a laugh. Evra, Cole and Clichy are better players. But this is team of the season, not most talented XI. None of those 3 have been brilliant this season, while Aurelio has had his best run yet in the Liverpool team - performing particularly well in the big matches - Chelsea, United, Real Madrid.
    He criminally under-rated imo. If he hadn't hobbled off towards the end of the chelsea semi final last season, who knows, it could have been 6 times.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    yes he is. by some considerable margin. he is a brilliant player when fit.

Sure what use is a player who is never fit?
    can jokers please stop taking the piss by putting Ireland into their teams ahead of Gerrard. silly kids.

Meh, Ireland's been better imo.
    Mgoraf wrote: »
    Alot of people have said Hangeland has been one of the players of the season so far. Probably does deserve to be there ahead of Skertl in fairness.

No 'probably' about it. Compare Fulham's league position/defensive record to this time last year and the reasons why he's in there are obvious.

• Advertisement

Marquez and Aurelio play different positions

Bouma and Baines? You are having a laugh. Evra, Cole and Clichy are better players. But this is team of the season, not most talented XI. None of those 3 have been brilliant this season, while Aurelio has had his best run yet in the Liverpool team - performing particularly well in the big matches - Chelsea, United, Real Madrid.
    He criminally under-rated imo. If he hadn't hobbled off towards the end of the chelsea semi final last season, who knows, it could have been 6 times.

I know Marquez and Aurelio play in different positions. However you were questioning Marquez's involvement. I was merely saying he deserves to be in a European XI alot more that Aurelio. Although if I'm honest with myself there is prob anothe BC out there more deserving of a spot.

I'm not saying he's not a good player. He is.
    He deserves to be nowhere near a European XI though.

As for Mr. Alan saying people shouldn't be picking Ireland ahead of Gerrard.
    Ireland actually plays CM as opposed to Gerrard's much used 'behind the striker' role. Which isn't a position you can really use in a 4-4-2

Vokes wrote:

????
    Alves
    Vidic
    Aurelio

Yes, the one that plays for Liverpool.

I agree that there are normally better LBs than him in the EPL. He has been excellent tho this season ahead of the others.

Hold on a second, Aurelio has started exactly half of Liverpool's league games this season. How the hell can he be included?

If Essien's inclusion is a joke then so is that.

Evra has been excellent this season, a dip in form lately but apart from that has been class so I'd definetly have him over Aurelio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

essien has only played about 4 or 5 games this season how on earth can he even be considered:confused::confused::confused:

redzerdrog wrote: »
    essien has only played about 4 or 5 games this season how on earth can he even be considered:confused::confused::confused:

*sigh*

I will now explain this for the third time.

I recognised Essein had only played a few games this year. Hence why I said he was a questionable inclusion.
    However he's looked so good since coming back was my only reason for putting him in.

So he'd be replaced by Ireland and Iniesta would go to the bench if it's confusing people that much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

are League of Ireland players allowed in? Fahey and Deegan are great shouts if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

oh and Lescott anyone?

Trilla wrote: »
    oh and Lescott anyone?

If an Everton defender is going to be nominated it should be Jagielka tbf

• Advertisement

If an Everton defender is going to be nominated it should be Jagielka tbf

Agree 100%

Would this not be better done arguing position by position, start at goalkeeper until a general consensus is reached and then move on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Schwarzer
    Alves --- Vidic --- Chiellini---Aurelio
    Alonso---Xavi
    Ribery----Gerrard---- Messi
    Eto'o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

grow up, you have Ireland ahead of Gerrard and you have the gaule to question anyone else, There's one sham in this thread and it's definately not Aurelio.

Hold on a second, Aurelio has started exactly half of Liverpool's league games this season. How the hell can he be included?

If Essien's inclusion is a joke then so is that.

how is that comparable - Fabio has played 20 games in the league - essien has played 4 - if you are saying that's the same then your a liar plain and simple.
    Jesus christ the way people twist figures is unbelievable.

Agree 100%

Would this not be better done arguing position by position, start at goalkeeper until a general consensus is reached and then move on?

It would be. But could you imagine trying to get a consensus on anyone but Messi?
    mayordenis wrote: »
    grow up, you have Ireland ahead of Gerrard and you have the gaule to question anyone else, There's one sham in this thread and it's definately not Aurelio.

I'd put Ireland in ahead of Gerrard in CM.
    I'm sick of the whole "Steven Gerrard is the best central midfielder in the world" jazz. He doesn't even play CM! He plays behind the striker when you have a full squad to choose from. That's why he gets so many goals.

Name and shame.

Red tinted glasses = Gerrard

Blue tinted glasses = Ireland

Either way both are good enough, and deserving enough, to play alongside Xavi.

• Advertisement

Meh, Ireland's been better imo.

No 'probably' about it. Compare Fulham's league position/defensive record to this time last year and the reasons why he's in there are obvious.

Yea I can see how Stephen Ireland's 9 goals in 38 games beats Steven Gerrard's 20 goals in 35 games.
    Man you are not one bit blinkered hear are you? how many Man City and Barce players in your team again? 5? yea...

Yea I can see how Stephen Ireland's 9 goals in 38 games beats Steven Gerrard's 20 goals in 35 games.

Ireland plays in Central Midfield.

Gerrard plays behind the Striker.

Gerrard also takes all your peno's and the majority of your free kicks.

That's why he has more goals

I'd put Ireland in ahead of Gerrard in CM.
    I'm sick of the whole "Steven Gerrard is the best central midfielder in the world" jazz. He doesn't even play CM! He plays behind the striker when you have a full squad to choose from. That's why he gets so many goals.

In a team of the season where you have decided to "accomodate" Alves at Left back????? you wouldn't make the Massive leap of faith to play Gerrard in the centre?
    I use the word massive in a sarcastic manner, I shouldn't have to spell that out but for you guys who think Ireland is more deserving of that place I reckon even the most obvious of evidence is missed.

how is that comparable - Fabio has played 20 games in the league - essien has played 4 - if you are saying that's the same then your a liar plain and simple.
    Jesus christ the way people twist figures is unbelievable.

Ehhh how did I 'twist' the figures? Did I or did I not say he started only half of Liverpool's games in the league?

Oh yes, I did -
    Aurelio has started exactly half of Liverpool's league games this season.

Are you saying that's not a fact?

One day, maybe, you'll have the ability to think outside the red box.

So you pick your teams on goals only? Fair enough. Bit narrow minded but that's your perogative.
    Man you are not one bit blinkered hear are you? how many Man City and Barce players in your team again? 5? yea...

1 City player, who has been outstanding.

The Barca players pretty much pick themselves considering the season they've had.

Next you'll tell me black is white.

• Advertisement

In a team of the season where you have decided to "accomodate" Alves at Left back????? you wouldn't make the Massive leap of faith to play Gerrard in the centre?
    I use the word massive in a sarcastic manner, I shouldn't have to spell that out but for you guys who think Ireland is more deserving of that place I reckon even the most obvious of evidence is missed.

It would be perfectly acceptable to put Gerrard in at CM as he will certainly do you a job there.
    However to put it simply there is a multitude of players in Europe who will do a better job in CM for you and are dedicated CM's

If i had have decided to play 4-2-3-1 ala Liverpool ,I might have considered choosing him.

Ehhh how did I 'twist' the figures? Did I or did I not say he started only half of Liverpool's games in the league?

Oh yes, I did -

Are you saying that's not a fact?

One day, maybe, you'll have the ability to think outside the red box.

Red box? I would put 2 players in contention from liverpool for this and thats Reina and Gerrard, you have some cheek sayin that to me though, with your heavy barca/man city team.
    I'm sure you think Reina is a sham, he's only breaking records left right and centre at the club and picking up golden gloves every year.
    Hangeland is a good player, neither him nor Skrtel should be in the team.

Back to your point yes you said very clearly he started half the games, I said you twisted them not fabricated them. Twisting though is using them out of context - 15 is not comparable to 4 especially when it's backed up with a 5 sub appearances in the league and a further 6/7 champions league match, a couple of goals and assists from left back - a sham? pfft, joker.

Red box? I would put 2 players in contention from liverpool for this and thats Reina and Gerrard, you have some cheek sayin that to me though, with your heavy barca/man city team.

ONE City player, who deserves. Build a bridge.
    I'm sure you think Reina is a sham, he's only breaking records left right and centre at the club and picking up golden gloves every year.

Find me any sort of quote where I have said such a thing.....
    joker.

.... and tell me in a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Mgoraf wrote: »
    So who do you think has been the team of the season from around Europe this season?

Mine;
    Diego Lopez
    Dani Alves
    Vidic
    ????
    Evra
    Messi
    Xavi
    Gerrard
    Ribery
    Villa
    Eto'o

Giorgio Chiellini can fit in beside Vidic.

Sajan wrote: »

Schwarzer
    Alves --- Vidic --- Chiellini---Aurelio
    Alonso---Xavi
    Ribery----Gerrard---- Messi
    Eto'o

That's a pretty good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

Given

Alves, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra

Robben, Xavi, Gerrard, Messi

Eto'o, Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Lopez

--Alves
    Vidic
    Chiellini---Maicon-

Mascherano

Xavi
    Gerrard

Messi
    Villa
    Ribery

Tried to be as unbiased as possible, but Henry and Eto'o could easily make the front three, and Puyol/ Marquez as a CB.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Every "pick your favourite team" thread ends in tragedy :(

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Probably more so players I really like rather than actual achievements, but anyway

Schwarzer

Lescott
    Vidic
    Evra
    Aurelio

Messi
    Gerrard
    ze Roberto
    Ribery

Torres
    Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Reina
    Alves---Vidic----Chiellini---Maldini
    Masch----Xavi
    Messi
    Gerrard
    Henry
    Eto'o

Maldini's kind of in there for kicks, I'll admit, but in his final year he deserves it. Probably still Milan's best defender.

What I will say, is I'm surprised nobody's picked Ronaldo yet (as far as I can see). I'm not complaining, just stating my surprise. His stats are still decent after all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement