Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Team of the season - from around Europe

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eZe^ wrote: »

Lopez

--Alves
    Vidic
    Chiellini---Maicon-

Mascherano

Xavi
    Gerrard

Messi
    Villa
    Ribery

Would probably go with this myself with LB being the only one I would have questions about. then again, I wouldn't know who else to suggest.

I really want to know where this man is though :)

322170250_ba195c7cc3_o.jpg

Also good to see Xavi grinding that axe again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

aw thought ash young would've made at least one team! Probably would've if it was done in january!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Rubinho
    Friedrich King Vidic Molinaro
    Brown Schaars
    Young Aguero Misimovic
    Ibrahimovic

Rubinho
    Friedrich King Vidic Molinaro
    Brown Schaars
    Young Aguero Misimovic
    Ibrahimovic

thanks man

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

No prob. I actually had Park in there but shure Ashley has had a pretty decent season himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Van Der Sar surely deserves a mention (he only had one bad game in fairness *against Newcastle*).

No prob. I actually had Park in there but shure Ashley has had a pretty decent season himself.

pff ash is streets ahead of park!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Reina
    Arbeloa carragher skyrtel aurelio
    Kuyt alonso macherano reira
    Gerrard. Torres

Reckon this team would be a match for any

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Lol at the posters leaving Gerrard out of the team ahead of Steven Ireland.
    Reina
    Alves Vidic Chiellini Maicon
    Messi Gerrard Xavi Ribery
    Eto Villa

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Reina
    Gerrard. Torres

Gerrard? Seriously?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Reina
    Gerrard. Torres

whos skyrtel? Hellooo! Just joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Given
    Alves---Vida---Hangeland---Maicon
    Alonso----Carrick
    --Young
    Ribery
    Eto'o
    Ibisevic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Xavi6 wrote: »
    He's not even the best left back at Anfield.

Yes he is...by a long long way. Aurelio is actually a seriously under rated player. If he wasnt so injury prone, he would be much more highly thought of. He has been one of Liverpools best players in the second half of the season. I'm not saying he deserves to be in the team of the season...but he certainly doesnt deserve to be called a 'sham'.

Who definitely deserves to be in the team is Gerrard - 21 goals 8 assists. And by the way, he hasnt played every game behind the striker. He has played central midfield many times this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in all fairness, i can't believe the people leaving xavi out. i'd be more bewildered at him being forgotten than gerrard. majestic the man is.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Benitez has gone on record saying Aurelio is Pools most technically gifted player.
    The guy has done very little wrong in defence and can be superb going forward, thats exactly what a left back should be.
    Having said that Evra has been mancs second best player this season and would probably take the left back spot for me, the fact hes played all season as opposed to aurelio is a big deciding factor however.
    Id have Skyrtel alongside Vidic, both have been superb.
    As for those putting Ireland ahead of Gerrard , LMFAO tbh.

Also worth mentioning are Jagielka,Lescott,Henry,Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Xavi6 wrote: »

1 City player, who has been outstanding..

Very good in some and patchy in a lot of others doesnt count as outstanding imo. You yourself have included him in your post match lists of bad players a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Julio Cesar

Bosingwa----Vidic----Chiellini----Maicon

--Messi
    Gerrard----Brighi
    Ronaldo

Mutu

Grafite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

realcam wrote: »
    Probably more so players I really like rather than actual achievements, but anyway

Schwarzer

Lescott
    Vidic
    Evra
    Aurelio

Messi
    Gerrard
    ze Roberto
    Ribery

Torres
    Eto'o

Evra at CB?
    Lescott at RB?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Do Man City not play a similar formation to Pool, 4-2-3-1 with Ireland as one of the 3??

I'm pretty sure he doesn't play as one of their 2 holding players therefore he plays a similat=r role to Gerrard, and therefore it is not a massive leap to compare their end product, i.e. goals and assists.

I have not always been SG's biggest fan but tbh Ireland doesn't even come close to him. Can't see how anyone could think otherwise if they have watched a fair few games in the PL this year.

Also interesting to see that one of the favorites for the Player of the Year award, Ryan Giggs, hasn't featured at all. Probably cause it is a joke to think he could be considered for any award this year just cause he's been on the go for years.

This thread is a perfect example of why i rarely post on this forum anymore. It seems to have been taken over by kids.

ibh wrote: »
    Also interesting to see that one of the favorites for the Player of the Year award, Ryan Giggs, hasn't featured at all. Probably cause it is a joke to think he could be considered for any award this year just cause he's been on the go for years.

The only reason people could see Giggs as a favourite for Player of the Year is because they see it as some sort of life time achievement award, rather than award for the best player.
    Yes he's had a good season, but there is no way he deserves to be voted Plater of the Season.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

My Europe 11:

Schwarzer

Alves --- Vidic --- Chiellini --- Baines

Alonso---Xavi

--Messi----Gerrard----Ribery --

Eto'o

Just a few notes I want to make.

The lack of people leaving or totally neglecting the influence of one Xabi Alonso this season is truly disturbing.

Aurelio and Skrtel have been class, yes. Don't believe Skrtel should be in the top 11. He's becoming more and more a top drawer defender though as he progressed with us no doubt. Hasn't really put a foot wrong in near a season and half. A place on the bench for moi maybe.

Don't believe Torres or Masch deserve a mention this season.
    Torres through lack of games though usually when he has played, he has delievered goals. Masch was poor by his usual high standards at the beginning of the season as he has said, due to Olympics/no pre-season.

Aurelio, love the guy. Sweet left foot. Great crosser of the ball and in his general passing. Uses his brain more than natural physique and pace. Wise in the tackle too. But I had to be unbiased so went for Baines(should have been Jags). Also he has missed his fair share of games too.

(Have to say I really believe Emilano Insua is a younger and pacer version of Aurelio. His MOTM performance(my opinion) at the Emirates in the league went very unoticed by many.)

Someone not mentioned is Marek Hamšík who plays for Napoli. A little genius with the ball.

Also Giusuppe Rossi has been outstanding for Villarreal.

The legend that is Delps is another worthy candicate.

I know I've left out a good few names, but I'm tired so yeah :pac:

Oh.... I agree with your man who saidsaid... these type of threads always end in tragedy. Damn straight they do.

Just realised I forgot Forlan, he's had a cracking season

Hamsik is a great shout. Was fantastic in the early part of the season but drifted off so I went for Brighi instead who's single handedly saving Roma's season. Julio Cesar deserves more votes for GK. Inter haven't been great at the back and he's had alot of work to do to maintain the lowest amount of goal conceded this year in Serie A.

Also, La Liga and the Bundesliga have had significantly more goals this year than either the Premiership or Serie A (.5 more per game) which I think is worth taking into consideration when picking a centre forward

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

I only really watch La Liga and the premiership out of the 'big leagues' so I guess this is just a hybrid of the two:

Diego Lopez
    Alves---Vidic---Skrtel---Evra
    Alonso
    ----Gerrard
    Xavi
    Messi
    Aguero
    Eto'o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,520 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aurelio is a very good left back Xavi.

I don't know what you are basing your opinion on. I don't know if he was played enough games to be in a TOTS but a sham he is certainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Highsider wrote: »
    Lol at the posters leaving Gerrard out of the team ahead of Steven Ireland.
    Reina
    Alves Vidic Chiellini Maicon
    Messi Gerrard Xavi Ribery
    Eto Villa

This would be my choice too i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭weemcd

This thread is lacking a serious amount of;
    P_Patrice_Evra_1.jpg

weemcd wrote: »
    This thread is lacking a serious amount of;
    P_Patrice_Evra_1.jpg

probably because the places in the team are up for grabs on performances, not on reputation. Evra has been average to poor this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mr Alan wrote: »
    probably because the places in the team are up for grabs on performances, not on reputation. Evra has been average to poor this season.

Poor is certainly a harsh assessment.

not over the last month or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

not over the last month or so.

Since the Mickey Mouse Cup Final actually, he's been poxy.

Although it's a little hypocritical to be judgeing his season on a month tbh, especially when you slate Man U fans for bigging up Vidic, and your reasons for that slating, no?

i didnt say he's had a poor season, i said he has been average to poor.....certainly not fit for a European team of the year.

and i dont slate Utd fans for bigging up vidic, i slate them for saying he should win PFA player of the year, despite the fact he was poor for the first couple of months of the season. since then he has been outstanding (one obvious exception), Evra has not been outstanding with any consistancy this season. Unfortunately the PFA player of the year cant afford imo, to have been poor for a couple of months of the season.....i still think that he'll get into the team of the year (i put him in mine here) for his consistantly exceptional performances since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Anyway, Maicon's been better than him by a margin since he joined Inter (never saw him in France)

Advertisement