Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tried to remove tick from cat - just got the body

Options
  • 27-03-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭

I noticed that my cat (Scamper) had a tick on his neck the other night (just under his collar). I attempted to remove the tick with a tweezers, but I just got the body - the head broke off and is still attached to the cat.

Has anyone any recommendations on what to do now? Should I try to remove the head with the tweezers, or will it drop off itself? Is there a risk of infection withe the head left there?

I gave the cat a dose of Frontline Drop On just after removing the tick.

The cat isn't showing an signs of ill effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

You should be alright to grab the rest of the body. One of my dogs got one on his eye brow and same thing happened to me so I just pulled the rest. Never realised how tight the little feckers hung on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Put some olive oil/sunflower oil on the remaining head to soften it and after a day or so you should get the rest out. They can become infected and will almost always leave a welt of hard skin if not fully removed.

The best treatment is to put a small drop of paraffin, kerosene or diesel on the tick when you find it, repeat every 12 hours and it will die and fall out cleanly after a day or so.

<EDIT> I use paraffin - don't let your cat smoke while being treated. LOLZ!

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

:eek: Ticks are vile.

Shows how much I know, thought taking the body off was enough :o but obviously you can't have some little termites head stuck in your cat can you?!

Sorry, not much of a helpful post but I just wanted to say how disgusting ticks are *sick smilie*

OMG!!!!!!! :eek:
    dog-ticks9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

A good way to get rid of ticks is light a match, blow it out and immediately (but very carefully!) put the top of the match on the body of the tick. This kills the tick (obviously) and you can remove it very easily after a couple of hours.

They are very hard to get out while still alive, they really hang on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

You could just keep your flea and tick treatments up to date and the tick will die and fall off naturally;) I wouldn't advise anyone to go near their pets with flammables or matches!! If you cover the tick completely with vaseline you smother it as it breathes through its body - it takes a few days before it drops off. To be honest keeping tick treatments up to date is the best plan because pulling out ticks just makes the tick regurgitate its stomach contents back into your pet which can cause nasty infections. Sorry if TMI!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

I have a few cats myself and use this

http://www.otom.com/

you latch on and twist. it comes out first time every time and always takes the whole body. nothing else works as good. I suggest everyone invests in one for their pets they're great.

regarding your pet. the cats skin will push the head out soon so I wouldnt worry about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 taylor08

i would bring it to the vet to remove it thats what happened when i pulled one from my dog. they can get badly infected. now i have learned the best thing to do is a match of whiskey kills them. the horses get them all the time. it kill the tick straight away and the whole thing comes off!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

If the tick is not near your pet's mouth or eyes, an easy way to get rid of it is to spray something on it - apparently ticks have air vales to breathe on the bit that sticks out. Spray something like a tiny bit of deodorant on the tick and it will block the valves and the tick will quickly suffocate.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭GALWAYINDOOR

put a lump of vaseline on it he will come out that way r get a cotton wool put sum surgical spirts on it and pace over the tick

Advertisement