Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish are the polish of Australia

Options
  • 27-03-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

I spoke to my sister earlier on today who is a permanent resident in Perth who was quoting from the local rag from 2 weeks back.

The reporter/author was clearly taking a view that the Irish are taking up all their jobs and quoted 12,000 temporary visas were issued in the previous year. Now I think we all know that that is far exceeding the quote so quite obviously the high number must include business, tourist and compassionate visas for visiting family.

The reporter reffered to the Irish as the Polish Invasion of Western Europe. Nice :mad:

Make what you want from that. It annoys be quite a bit but then again(my opinion) we said the same when the polish came here in droves.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

i really hope none of the 'they tuk ur jobs' idiots moved to australia.

but also australians seem really intolerant, so im happy irish are taking their jobs:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

acontadino wrote: »
    i really hope none of the 'they tuk ur jobs' idiots moved to australia.

but also australians seem really intolerant, so im happy irish are taking their jobs:)

:rolleyes: Generalise much? Do you live here?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭aineolach

You're going to get bastards in any country that say stupid things, just look at acontadino.

Why pay attention to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭paulg1770

big difference, the irish spend all their money in australia the polish send their money home to poland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Dear god, this offends me like no other thread on Australia&NZ forum.

If you ever come to Australia you'll see it's built on immigrants and still is,
    if some idiot talks about the Irish stealing any jobs, it's because they are an idiot.

And the &*%$ who claimed Australians are intolerant: this is a multi-culture society, I have never lived anywhere even close, to having as many ethnic backgrounds as Australia, if someone can seriously say they are intolerant they you need to get your head checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

hussey wrote: »
    Dear god, this offends me like no other thread on Australia&NZ forum.

If you ever come to Australia you'll see it's built on immigrants and still is,
    if some idiot talks about the Irish stealing any jobs, it's because they are an idiot.

And the &*%$ who claimed Australians are intolerant: this is a multi-culture society, I have never lived anywhere even close, to having as many ethnic backgrounds as Australia, if someone can seriously say they are intolerant they you need to check your head checked.

As the famous aussie song ' i am Australian 'goes

'' We are one, but we are many , and from all the lands on earth we come .

we'll share and dream and sing with one voice ,I am , you are , we are Australian ''

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not True!!!

The Indians are the Polish of Australia, not the Irish. I have been living in Australia for over 4 years and Aussies dont think of me as an immigrant at all I suppose its something to do with about 30% of Aussies claiming Irish ancestrory.

The Irish built Australia I only migrated there to make sure the place was been looked after.

The Indians on the other hand migrate on skilled visa's IT, Engineering etc but they struggle to get a job because their spoken english is so poor so they drive taxis and work in petrol stations etc.

They tend to walk around in groups of 3 or 4 and nearly every cent they earn the send it back home to family in India very much like the Polish who often came to Ireland and saved the money up to buy a house in Poland, they sucked the country dry by sending billions offshore rather than return it to the Irish economy.

The newspaper in Perth is probably picking on Irish backpackers because there are loads of them around at this time of the year and they dont have the balls to name any other ethnic backgound.

Aussies do tend to be a bit racist but they do it in a subtle way, it is true that there are many multi-cultures but people do tend to tolerate each other to a certin extent.... and there is an old saying "If you scatch deep enough, everyone is a bigot"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Berty wrote: »
    The reporter/author was clearly taking a view that the Irish are taking up all their jobs and quoted 12,000 temporary visas were issued in the previous year.

The reporter needs to remember that many (most?) Australians have ancestors that were convicts, thieves and sheep-stealers :p
    The dregs of society from here.

(joking, no offense intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mikemac wrote: »
    The reporter needs to remember that many (most?) Australians have ancestors that were convicts, thieves and sheep-stealers :p
    The dregs of society from here.

(joking, no offense intended)

Sent all their worst people to a better country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    It's just that they didn't know it at the time and which might explain the racist undertones as expressed by others ie , it's in the genes . ;)

I am of couse only joking to .

But i do believe every white race you care to think of has it's fair share of racists .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Makes you wonder if the criminal classes are really the better class given what we have been left with....:D

How about instead of blaming other minorities, you criticise the reporter for reporting tripe

If you say
    The Indians are the Polish of Australia, not the Irish.
    then that is just as stupid and xenophobic as the reporter.

let's not descend this thread into an AH type post.

This forum is meant to be about advice for people coming to Australia not blaming minorities on jobs etc.

I've reported this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The Indians on the other hand migrate on skilled visa's IT, Engineering etc but they struggle to get a job because their spoken english is so poor so they drive taxis and work in petrol stations etc.

They tend to walk around in groups of 3 or 4 and nearly every cent they earn the send it back home to family in India very much like the Polish who often came to Ireland and saved the money up to buy a house in Poland, they sucked the country dry by sending billions offshore rather than return it to the Irish economy.

Utter rubbish.

The next poster on this thread who pulls "facts" out of their arse on this thread, I'm going to ban you for a week.

You are all entitled to your opinions, which is why I'm not going to lock this thread, but at least represent them as opinions, would you?

I believe WWMan would be of the opinion that a large number of Indians in Victoria speak fluent English with a heavy Indian accent, spend a fortune buying houses from him and, if dealt with properly by someone who isn't xenophobic, frequently refer family and friends to the same business contact to spend even more money.

I'm leaving this thread open, though frankly I'm more worried about how offensive it is to the Polish.

...and the Indians.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭Daithio

Does nobody else see the hypocrisy of this thread? People going on about how discriminatory it is to be compared to the Poles, as if being Polish is some sort of disease. What's wrong with being compared to the Poles? They're hardworking, decent people.

Besides, any country is going to have a few idiots harping on about foreigners stealing jobs. Had a conversation with a cabbie in Dublin lately? Sure I'm Irish and I even think most of the ones that make it over here are gimps, any time I get homesick all I have to do is go to the Tea Gardens in Bondi Junction to remember why it is that I left.

Irish people are far too sensitive when there's any sort of criticism of their nationality. Get over it, we have it pretty easy compared to most, try being Nigerian in Dublin and you'll know what discrimination is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

ah the Tea gardens I had one pot there in 1995 , it was a hole I suppose now its just a deeper hole.

Its odd we have a thread about how WHV cant get jobs and another one from an report that WHV's from Ireland are taking all the jobs in Perth.

Anyone who cant get a standard job over a WHV in Oz must not be worth hiring. There is no shortage of unemployable Australians here believe me regardless of race.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The point of the opening post was to enlighten you to the view in the media in WA that the Irish are being associated with the polish people in the way that they travelled in large numbers into western europe in search of work only to be met by racism and prejudice because they were willing to take the jobs that the western europeans would not take.

It is not offensive to the polish people to be associated with the Irish and Im sure my polish friends and colleagues would agree. Everybody knows they are hard working but thats not the point.

The point again was to mention the similar racism and prejudice that is being reported in the Perth media.

RE Hussey: Taken from the Charter

This is a forum to discuss all things relating to visiting/living in Australia or New Zealand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Daithio wrote: »
    Does nobody else see the hypocrisy of this thread? People going on about how discriminatory it is to be compared to the Poles, as if being Polish is some sort of disease. What's wrong with being compared to the Poles? They're hardworking, decent people.

Besides, any country is going to have a few idiots harping on about foreigners stealing jobs. Had a conversation with a cabbie in Dublin lately? Sure I'm Irish and I even think most of the ones that make it over here are gimps, any time I get homesick all I have to do is go to the Tea Gardens in Bondi Junction to remember why it is that I left.

Irish people are far too sensitive when there's any sort of criticism of their nationality. Get over it, we have it pretty easy compared to most, try being Nigerian in Dublin and you'll know what discrimination is.
    +1.
    Us Irish go everywhere but when someone comes here its all whinge whinge whinge.

Folks, I was going to leave this locked, but off topic shenanigans aren't fair to the OP.

Yes, this is a heated topic, but please do not represent your opinions as fact, and back your facts up. If you have problems with posts on the thread, use the report post function, don't go for the poster.

I've cleaned up some posts in an effort to put this thread back on topic - if you want to fight about what I've deleted, PM me, but please don't do it on the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

My best mate is Polish.

Sammag is going to back me up on this one because she met both of us last night.

Of course I am gonna get toey.

Again gimme sauce or GTFO with inflammatory crap.

• Advertisement

dStar, I see nothing inflammatory in Berty's post. Nothing whatsoever. Are you taking him/her/it up wrong? What is it you think they're saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Posting something like this with a link to the original article is pointless.

Sure anyone can wander in here and say that Irish people (or any other nationality for that matter) is this, that and the other.

I'm just surprised you let this go on so long without a link to the actual source.

Not many of the local Australian rags have corresponding online pages. The three or four we have out this direction certainly don't.

Why can't you just debate the concept of whether or not the Irish are, indeed, "the polish of Australia"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Is there any place where you get the actual figures on the number of Irish people entering Australia in comparsion to other nations. I would find it hard to believe that the numbers of Irish people entering Australia would be higher than countries like China and India. I reckon that the Irish coummunity in Sydney is a lot smaller than other nations but more concentrated (i.e. county Bondi). Personally speaking most of my friends in Sydney are Irish and it kinda gives you the impression that nearly everyone in Sydney is Irish. Silly I know...but my 2 cents

Here you go, the immi.gov.au website tracks and publishes the figures quite openly:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/oad/totalmovs/totmova.htm

PS: the above statistics show why the Irish still find it easy to get WHVs (though they not be finding it so easy to find work on those WHVs). Here's the main page of reports:

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/statistics/statistical-info/oad/

You can see that the numbers of Irish short-term residents and short-term visitors entering and leaving the country are near identical, so we have a revolving door system here and you can be sure we're spending more money here than we're taking with us when we leave. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭deadfingers

Cheers for those links Guys. Very interesting. The trend is for more short term Irish vistors it seems. Although Ireland does not have the highest numbers entering Australia but in terms of number of people/ population of country Ireland probably has one of the highest percentage rates (i.e. 10% of Irish 20 somethings, 7% English somethings have gotten WHV's*)

So the orginal statement 'The Irish are the polish of Australia' does hold much water if the above facts are to be belived.

*Figures are a total guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Berty wrote: »
    The point of the opening post was to enlighten you to the view in the media in WA that the Irish are being associated with the polish people in the way that they travelled in large numbers into western europe in search of work only to be met by racism and prejudice because they were willing to take the jobs that the western europeans would not take.

It is not offensive to the polish people to be associated with the Irish and Im sure my polish friends and colleagues would agree. Everybody knows they are hard working but thats not the point.

The point again was to mention the similar racism and prejudice that is being reported in the Perth media.

RE Hussey: Taken from the Charter

This is a forum to discuss all things relating to visiting/living in Australia or New Zealand.
    One story by one reporter is not representative of Australian society.

• Advertisement
Advertisement