Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

West Clare Railway 0-6-2T Steam Loco "Slieve Callan"

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Taylor's in Moyasta used to the be the place to go to get any information about the WCR, I would imagine that someone in the station in Ennis might be able to point you in the right direction for some information

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Hi,
    I recently heard that it ia due at a Truck Show in Ennis on 6th of July '09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnnyg1955

The National Truck Show 2009 is on July 5th at Clare Marts in Ennis and Sleive Callan will be unveiled there before returning to the West Clare Railway at Moyasta Junction.

National Truck Show Press Release
    http://www.amp-ennis.ie/blog/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 johnnyg1955

An article in the Irish Times today (Sunday 5 July 2009) carries the details, and a photo, of the locos return to Clare.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0702/1224249908060.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 chiefn001

Hi All,
    newbie here, Slieve Callan went past my window on juy 2nd and down the ramp onto a norfolkline ferry bound for Ireland, where she is now taking up duties on her new line running back and forth spouting steam in great gouts skyward.
    £800k of work completed and she looks like new. Pics available if you look on themodelhobby dot com.
    All the best,
    Tim :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Visited a few weeks ago its a great attempt to preserve part of west clare(in fact its on the south clare railway) and should be a good tourist attraction if the numbers I saw in the rain keep turnong up. Steam loco is prob a bit big for size of trains they may have to source a smaller one to cover maint etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

When's a good time to visit? I want to go see it but I don't know when it's running. I believe there's a couple of miles of track isn't there?

The big green steam machine is too big then?

chiefn001 wrote: »
    The big green steam machine is too big then?

What I meant was that its a pretty big engine for pulling 1 or 2 coaches and long term it would be a good idea to acquire another smaller loco which would possibly cost less to run and cover maint repairs to Slieve Callan.

Its open at weekends and is well worth a visit

I haven't seen her running yet, but will be over in Ireland in a few weeks time, so hopefully I will be able to get some decent pictures at the time and post them on the site.

Hope all is not as wet as it is here in blighty!

rgds
    t

http://www.TheModelHobby.com

• Advertisement

check www.westclarerailway for opening times and bring your umbrella! Enjoy your time in county clare one of Irelands nicest areas.

Advertisement