Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entrance test anyone?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Anyone else going for the music entrance tests? Got Maynooth tomorrow, and somehow I missed the Trinity one last week :o, so annoyed at myself! But it was last on my CAO anyway and points were ridiculous!
    hehe oops!
    Anyone have any ideas of whats on the tests? Got the sample ones but there ain't much on them . . .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Gareth-W-A

Hey, i did the trinity and DIT ones last year, passed them both, and am now studying music in DIT.
    I never did the maynooth test because it was too far away, but in the cases of the trinity and DIT exams, really the best thing you can do is do as many past papers as you can.
    Both of these exams are very similar, so even if you are only doing one, look over everything you can get.
    In the cases of music general knowledge, over 50% of questions will have come up in previous years, so the only thing you can really do for that section is look over past papers.
    With regards to the composition section, it is very similar to the leaving cert curriculum, but its also good to do the past papers to familiarise yourself with the level of difficulty, make sure you know what questions you are doing, and most importantly, make sure you are familiar with the layout of the paper, as some sections do not require you to answer all questions.
    With respect to this, choose which ones you are most comfortable with, and perhaps ask your music teacher for some tips(i know i did!) as they know what the examiners are looking for.

Hope this was helpful, and best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I'll be doing the CIT/School of Music and UCC ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Well I just finished the practice sample ones the sent me, and all seem ok. Guess those years of grade exams and theory really helped.
    Maynooth paper is much more composition based than the others papers I think. Feels more like a leaving cert. paper.

Am doing the C.I.T one too, thats my first choice, so have my hotel booked for that weekend too. Bit of a long distance but I really want it. Didn't apply for UCC, I'm more of a classical player and that seemed much more traditional based.

Probably should have put it down anyway . . :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Well I just finished the practice sample ones the sent me, and all seem ok. Guess those years of grade exams and theory really helped.
    Maynooth paper is much more composition based than the others papers I think. Feels more like a leaving cert. paper.

Am doing the C.I.T one too, thats my first choice, so have my hotel booked for that weekend too. Bit of a long distance but I really want it. Didn't apply for UCC, I'm more of a classical player and that seemed much more traditional based.

Probably should have put it down anyway . . :(

It's not traditional based! I've never played traditional in my life and have no intention of doing so while I'm there! That's all optional. UCC accomodates all styles, pop, rock, jazz, ethnic, traditional, classical, baroque, romantic, contemporary, medieval, you name it, there's a module for it! I suggest you change your form if you feel you should've put it down, you still have time to sign up and go for the entrance test!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Oh cool thanks! How come its not early access? Or is it?
    Just gotta check out the dates and then I'll do my change of mind. thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement