Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photograph storage for dummies!!!!!????

• 27-03-2009 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

hi
    I am doing a lot of travelling around and want to set up a storage site online for all my photos, images and files if possible rather than storing them on my limited disk space. Can anyone recommend an easy site to enable me to do this that wouldnt be too hard to set up (i am no genius at these things!!)

any help would be greatly appreciated as i am loaded down with various usb sticks and discs at the moment - there has to be a better way!!

thanks in advance.......

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

You can set up free accounts online, like pix.ie or flickr, but they do not keep the "hard copy" of the photo.

What I would do is post them on a photosite like above and when you're done transfer the photo's from your USB to a CD or DVD to keep the hard files safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

flickr.com pro account, a few $$$ a year, will keep original (full size) files you upload... you would be able to upload via web or email etc. and mark your photos private if you don't want them visible to all (i.e. treat it like a "private" storage facility)

...or register a domain for yourself for a similarly low cost, connect to your server via FTP whenever you want and transfer photos to it.

Sure there are lots of web companies offering storage options but it depends how easy or complicated you want it.

Also speed of connection would be an issue if uploading original photo files in large batches... something which is largely independent of whichever option you choose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Buy a small external hard disk. That can be used to store anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

depending where you go internet upload speeds can be a problem to upload tons of pictures
    a portable USB 500gb 2.5" hard disk (or 2 to keep 2 copies of everything, just in case) and one of those tiny laptops should be fine
    that's totally portable as the USB drive doesn't need of an external PSU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

For the lower cost option, pix.ie rather than flickr. Pix.ie presently is no cost and you get 500MB transfer for a month.

Neither flickr or pix.ie stores RAW files however if you are shooting in JPG then that won't be a concern.

The external hard disk is a good idea but you are into a single point of failure if packed in luggage or are carting it around the place. You do have to weigh this up with the issue of upload speeds that will be available to you when travelling.

A final option would be a FTP account with a web host company - hundreds of them if you google. Some Irish ones would be Black-knight or Hosting 365.

Good luck on the travels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

These were recommended to me today for online backup of complete computer

http://mozy.com/home

http://www.putfile.com/

I havent checked them out yet - has anyone used them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Marcus

sNarah wrote: »
    You can set up free accounts online, like pix.ie or flickr, but they do not keep the "hard copy" of the photo.
    As AnCatDubh mentioned above we don't store RAW files but we do store the original full size "hard copy" if you are shooting JPG...

If you are traveling around and suddenly need more storage quota on Pixie, just email support and ask :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

iampixie wrote: »
    As AnCatDubh mentioned above we don't store RAW files but we do store the original full size "hard copy" if you are shooting JPG...

If you are traveling around and suddenly need more storage quota on Pixie, just email support and ask :)

Just to add to this an experience I (and others) have had with Flickr - if you are using their free service (which is grossly restricted in terms of storage, albums, etc..) or if your pro account runs out with them, you will have been able to store the full size JPG in flickr BUT the flickr service won't give it back to you - it only gives you back a low res version unless you've paid for the Pro option. But that'd be a bummer if you had all your travelling photos stored in there. It's not terribly expensive but again Pix.ie doesn't have such a restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I transferred them to an external hard drive and also got CDs burned. As others have pointed out, uploading them is likely to become a real pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a Canon M80, which is an 80gb storage device. Brilliant for when on holidays. It will keep any files you need - raw, jpg, even handy for video. Not cheap, but works great.

It also uses the same battery as my Canon 40D camera, so I know I'll always have spares with me.

The device is small and handy, easy to transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I use Flickr for some of my pictures but mainly put them all up on the desktop and then a copy and an external drive. We hadn't backed up on nearly a year and our pc went down so we lost a little over a years worth of photos so we have now learned the hard way backup regularly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

If you use Windows Live you get 25Gb of photo storage "in the cloud"... and you can do the usual stuff like storing it in albums etc. these are my ones, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

I have use windows and never realised that! Very good and free!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

seen that windows live 25gig before, i'd make sure to read the T&C's firstly to make sure you ain't handing over copyright of your files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Merrion

seen that windows live 25gig before, i'd make sure to read the T&C's firstly to make sure you ain't handing over copyright of your files.

T&Cs:

9. Your Materials.
    You may be able to submit materials for use in connection with the service. The service includes publicly accessible areas ("public areas of the service") and areas to which you can control access by others ("shared and private areas of the service"). You understand that Microsoft does not control or endorse the content that you and others post or provide on the service. Except for material that we license to you, we do not claim ownership of the materials you post or provide on the service. However, with respect to content you post or provide you grant to those members of the public to whom you have granted access (for content posted on shared and private areas of the service) or to the public (for content posted on public areas of the service) free, unlimited, worldwide, nonexclusive and perpetual permission to:

•use, modify, copy, distribute and display the content in connection with the service and other Microsoft products and services;
    •publish your name in connection with the content; and
    •grant these rights to others.
    You understand that Microsoft may need to make copies, change the format, transcode or otherwise process content posted on the service, including on shared and private areas of the service, in order to:
    •store and retrieve the content;
    •make the content available to you and those members of the public to whom you have granted access;
    •conform to connecting networks' technical requirements; or
    •conform to the limitations and terms of the service.
    This section applies only to legally permissible content and only to the extent that use and publishing of the legally permissible content does not breach the law. You understand that sharing content that violates others' copyrights and other intellectual property rights violates this contract. You represent and warrant that you have all the rights necessary for you to grant the rights in this section 9 and that the use and publication of the content does not breach any law. We will not pay you for your content. We may refuse to publish your content and may remove your content from the service at any time.

However as anyone who has lost a disk will tell you - security comes fromspreading the risk. I'd recommend a Live account and a flickr one and a pix.ie one and make sure anything you treasure is on all three :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Merrion wrote: »
    However as anyone who has lost a disk will tell you - security comes fromspreading the risk. I'd recommend a Live account and a flickr one and a pix.ie one and make sure anything you treasure is on all three :-)
    here here.

you're preaching to someone who keeps 5 back ups of his most important documents :pac:

and talking to someone who had to pay the guts of a 1000euro to get data off a external hd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭ajsp.

You could also try photobucket.com but again upload speeds may be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I know for a fact that there is a product out there that has a port that you stick your memory card into and it copies the files unto a hard disk there and then for you its like a portable harddrive that has its own power source you could look into that. I think this is it or something similar.

do you have a laptop that you could use?

if so its very simple just get an external hard drive and put them on that.

if you are looking for a web solution flickr have a very nice uploader app that you just drag and drop your files into and then click an upload button then it just depends on you bandwidth:D

Advertisement