Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple iPod touch [Need Help] Please

Options
  • 27-03-2009 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

I bought an iPod touch first generation in October 2007, Recently I have encountered problems which are hardware faults,
    This problem runs my battery down in a little over an hour and does not let me use the wifi function.

I rang the apple helpline, and I was told since it was out of warranty by a mere 3 months, There was nothing she could
    do for me, and said that i can get you a discounted new one?

I'm really really outraged and disgusted, Are iPods, only meant to last for a year? I didn't even use it till December
    as it was a christmas present.

I'd like to take this further as I really dont think this is acceptable,

I dont belive the iPod is fit for the purpose it was sold as

-The battery runs out very quickly, I cant listen to music
    -WIFI is not working, at all and it's why the battery is draining

I was quoted for a fix €229!

Is there anything I can do under my legal rights as I think it's pathetic that This product should only be good for
    one year, and then it's we don't care, buy another one.

Please reply,

Thank you,

Kevin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Define "wifi not working". What is not working about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Define "wifi not working". What is not working about it?

When I go to settings, the Wi-Fi tab is grayed out, and no on or off button is displayed.

I was told on the phone that this means that the software can not find the wi-fi device and it's a hardware problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Have you restored the software as a new iPod?

Have you restored the software as a new iPod?

Yes I have, and followed all the steps on the phone.

It's a hardware issue.

Is there no legislation saying that a product should last more than a year? or Have they scammed me pretty much?

Is there anything I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

maybe ask which piece of hardware needs replacing and see if you can get it repaired.

You may be able to bargain down the repair. Get them to detail how much is for the part, labour etc. €299 is more than a new 1. If they are offering a discounted new one, bargain them down on the repair then add the discount they were going to give you on a new 1.

Be very nice, say that you will never be able to afford another apple etc. would have to buy a creative etc....

Google the part that needs to be repaired and see if this is a common fault this may give a better case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Kevin! wrote: »
    Is there no legislation saying that a product should last more than a year? or Have they scammed me pretty much?

There is, of course. Guarantees are over and above your statutory rights. You are still entitled to have an item of merchantable quality, fit for the purpose intended etc. It is, of course, a matter of opinion as to whether an item is unfit if it has lasted a full year. Was it always broken, or has this just started now?

Where did you buy the iPod? Your contract is with the retailer, so I suggest you take it up with them.

snappieT wrote: »
    There is, of course. Guarantees are over and above your statutory rights. You are still entitled to have an item of merchantable quality, fit for the purpose intended etc. It is, of course, a matter of opinion as to whether an item is unfit if it has lasted a full year. Was it always broken, or has this just started now?

Where did you buy the iPod? Your contract is with the retailer, so I suggest you take it up with them.

I bought the iPod online off the store, so there's the problem :(

And This is the first time the wi-fi acted up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Did you have any issues with the one year warranty when you paid for the ipod? If so, why did you buy it?

Kevin! wrote: »
    I bought the iPod online off the store, so there's the problem :(

And This is the first time the wi-fi acted up.
    OK, this is good. You didn't just sit on your hands when there was a problem.

Time to write a nice letter. To Apple, explaining that you believe that you are entitled to a refund replacement or repair, free of charge, under the sale of goods and supply of services act. Tell them they have 2 weeks to reply to you and resolve the issue, or that you will take further action.

If it comes to it, the small claims court is where you need to go. I'm not saying you will win, but you just need to make the point that a unit that only works for a year is not what you paid for or what would be reasonably be expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Small claims court. It's €15 I think and can be done online. You don't even have to attend court. 90% of claims are settled out of it.

Too many companies believe their warranty is all you get in this country. Apple especially. If your iPod was worth over €200 when you bought it I would expect it to last way more than one year. You have a good case. Go straight to court.

Elessar wrote: »
    Go straight to court.
    I don't think this is the best solution. A letter is always the best way to start these things off, you don't need to jump to extremes. At worst, you'll have to wait 2 weeks before filing a claim, at best you'll save €15.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

You are always better off to write a letter first. If you do end up having to take it to the small claims court your case will be easier dealt with if you have written proof that you have made every effort to rectify the situation.

Also there are few hard and fast time limits involved when it comes to persuing your entitlements under your statutory rights. The Small Claims Court tend to take a common sense approach and judge matters like this on what the common mans reasonable expectation of the life of the product would be. I think that after paying what an ipod costs that you'd definitely reasonably expect it last longer than 14 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just in case it isn't obvious - make sure you send the letter as Registered Post - someone will have to sign for it.

That way, you have proof that you tried to reason with them.

Ok I will be writing a letter to them, thank's for all you're help.

Advertisement