Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Audio in .MOV

Options
  • 27-03-2009 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

A friend sent me a video file (xxxx.MOV) taken on a digital still camera with movie option.
    The video plays perfectly, but there is no audio.
    I am not great on the tech side - but I have read about the different codecs (whatever they are!) which are needed for various file formats, and wonder if this could be the problem? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Right click on the file and go to properties - summary and advanced and scroll to the bottom where it shows the audio and video bitrate. this will tell you if there is actually any audio on the file sent. If there is, then yes, most likely a codec issue.
    Try playing it with VLC player. That'll play almost anything without the need for additional codecs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Right click on the file and go to properties - summary and advanced and scroll to the bottom where it shows the audio and video bitrate. this will tell you if there is actually any audio on the file sent. If there is, then yes, most likely a codec issue.
    Try playing it with VLC player. That'll play almost anything without the need for additional codecs.
    Seconded Vlc should play it no prob. If your trying to play it in other media players then try this codec: http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter

Did the trick for me awhile back.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭noelma

I presume you mean from within Windows Explore. I am using XP Pro 2002. When I do as above I do not see audio OR video bitrate!
    I have tried playing file on VLC, but no audio there either!

Downloaded and installed AC3 filter - but no effect there either! :(
    Could it be that the camera simply does not record audio? Seems strange - dont know of any models which do this - even my mobile phone records audio with video!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

is the volume slider greyed out when video plays?
    If it is then there's no audio.

Sorry what I said before about right clicking must only work for wmvs, avis and mpegs then. Not Movs.
    What program are you using to open it? Quick Time?

• Advertisement

is the volume slider greyed out when video plays?
    If it is then there's no audio.

Sorry what I said before about right clicking must only work for wmvs, avis and mpegs then. Not Movs.
    What program are you using to open it? Quick Time?

Tried Quick Time and VLC - and yes, volume slider greyed out!! So no audio, I guess!

Thanks anyway! :)

Advertisement