Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadway Recommendations

Options
  • 27-03-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    Im going to New York with the boyfriend in July, we'll be there for 3 or 4 days. We are def going to see a show, and I am so excited as I have always wanted to see a musical on Broadway! :D
    We have a few choices: Phantom, West Side Story, Guys and Dolls, South Pacific, Wicked, Billy Elliot and Chicago. I cant decide and my boyf really doesnt mind. I would love to see any of them, but can anyone recommend something that you thought was brilliant?
    Also, I heard you can get tickets at a cheaper price on the day of the show. Would it be better to book tickets now or wait to see if we can get a cheaper price when we are there?

Any Advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

OK, as a major show-goer here's my take on what you're considering.

Chicago & Phantom - skip these. Both on in London, comparable productions in both cities, don't waste a NY trip on these.

Guys & Dolls - I personally have found this show boring in parts, even the production I saw with Ewan McGregor!

South Pacific - very much an old style musical. Guys don't normally like this kind of show?

West Side Story - this should be amazing. Rarely done by professional adult companies, would def be in my top two.

Wicked - yes this is on in London, but the genuine article is an American production. The London production is anglicised, "dancing through life" becomes "dauncing through life" etc, I prefer the US productions (fab and all as the London one is). Also consider doing the "Behind the Emerald Curtain" tour.

Billy Elliott - the hottest ticket in town at the moment. Also on in London, it's my current favourite show. I'm dying to get back to NY to see what they've done to the show BUT I think London is the place to see this, I fear it's been sanitised for the US.

Avenue Q is great fun, and the London production has closed. Well worth seeing, I've yet to meet a person who didn't enjoy it.

Shrek also has had very positive reviews.

The bad news from what I've said is that Wicked, Billy Elliot and West Side are in high demand and discounted tickets just aren't there. You're more likely to have to pay over the odds to get tickets as these shows are generally sold out weeks in advance.

Discounts are available for Avenue Q.

People on here will tell you to go to the TKTS booth in Times Square for discounted tickets on show day. I'll tell you not to waste your time. You can pre-book discounted tickets on www.broadwaybox.com a couple of months in advance.

hth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Wicked is terrific. I can't recommend it enough.

I've also heard that West Side Story is incredible. Good things also about Billy Elliot.

I wouldn't bother with Phantom, Guys and Dolls or Chicago.

For something a bit different you could check out Avenue Q or In The Heights.

Advertisement