Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Belfry Restaurant

Options
  • 27-03-2009 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what the food is like there?

I know that they have a new chef/or under new management and that the place has always had good reviews - but has anyone been out there lately and what's it like? Are children welcome?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Was there on Valentines nite, food was as fab as ever, can't wait to go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

Cheers for the reply - I'm glad that the food is a good as ever. Can't wait to go there myself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

MDFM wrote: »
    Was there on Valentines nite, food was as fab as ever, can't wait to go back!

As was I, the food there is just fantastic, best in the Midlands by a long way IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭finbarr

Was there a couple of weeks back. Lovely place and food was very good although choice was limited and was FAR too expensive... I would go back but the price was offputting in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭fakefurbabe

I was looking at their website and they are doing some good set menu thingies at the mo - gonna a try and go v.soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

siralfalot wrote: »
    As was I, the food there is just fantastic, best in the Midlands by a long way IMO
    Its main rival is Oscars and not many would go to the Belfry instead.

It has to compete on price and fails every time.

Its a few mile out of town and should reward people in some way for making the effort of opting for them.

Too dear is not cool but if wifey pays I'm there in a heart beat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

time lord wrote: »
    Its main rival is Oscars and not many would go to the Belfry instead.

It has to compete on price and fails every time.

Its a few mile out of town and should reward people in some way for making the effort of opting for them.

Too dear is not cool but if wifey pays I'm there in a heart beat

I would have to disagree, Oscars is no where near the Belfry in terms of food quality and ambiance etc..and as regards price, i fail to see much of a difference. I was in Oscars a month ago, it was nothing special and i wont be going back. I had a €50 voucher for it, and we still ended up paying €120, and that was for 2 starters, 2 mains, i dessert, 2 glasses of wine, 1 beer, and tap water, it was not worth it, esp as side orders only come as side salad and chips, tastleless might i add. On the same nite it turns out my friend and her hubby also had a booking, but when they got there they were turned away, told they'd no room, customer service obviously not their strong point. In comparison, The Belfry, from my most recent experience, was a welcome relief. i think the set menu was €45 each, it was a 5 course meal and house wine came in at €23-€28..i have no problem paying for quality. Its only my opinion, i'm not dissing yours, but if I don't think i could ever put Oscars in the same category as The Belfry, its no where near it, and as restuarants go in Mullingar town, it also falls well behind in the ranks when up against Ilia Tapas. I know, each to his own, i'm not damning your opinion, but i've being to all 3 i've mentioned above since end of January, one of which i won't be going back to for definate!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

At the moment I'm lucky to afford the Roma so I will bow out to all who have eaten out recently as my experiences are a bit dated now.

Last steak I had was in Weirs in Multy. I asked for a 12 0z Angus. They said nodody had asked for one that size before.

i'm still laughing at that. It was lovely though.

Advertisement