Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gun law on-board a class A vessel

• 27-03-2009 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I know with Irish gun laws you are given a gun licence for sporting purposes only, but what about for personal protection in international waters? I have a class "A" ocean vessel that will be Irish registered and based which will often sail through international waters some notorious for pirates, what is the law to protect my vessel and its 16 crew should the situation ever arise?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You need to contact either a solicitor or the Gards to get a legal opinion on your question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Common thinking at present is that a gun only causes problems when confronted by pirates. Most crusiers would recommend avoiding them as you'll more than likely be out numbered and outgunned. A good radar unit and convoy system is probably a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Common thinking at present is that a gun only causes problems when confronted by pirates. Most crusiers would recommend avoiding them as you'll more than likely be out numbered and outgunned. A good radar unit and convoy system is probably a better option.

Forget the gun fella. I worked deep sea shipping in the south China sea's, also cruising around the caribbean on large yachts and you never bring a gun. Its a terrible adea, Pirates do not react well to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Cheeble

Which is more or less how Sir Peter Blake died...

http://www.latitude38.com/features/Blake.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Herbal Tea

I've been sailing pretty extensively in the Caribbean for the last 5/6 years. No guns on board my boat, they invite trouble. Listen to what other cruisers say, where is safe to go, know the areas to avoid (regions on the Colombian/Venezualan coast for instance). A good attitude and common sense will serve you better any day tha a gun. They are also hassle as they generally have to be declared with Customs on entry to a country and they involve paperwork and explaining.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭meathmannn

Irish law basically states that gun can only be used for hunting animals/ sports or humane dispatch of animals...ie. the vet. Not for protection of person or property.

So basically from Irish law, no you cant have a gun!
    From talking to friends in this area , merchant shipping etc. they all seem to agree that pirates tend to come prepared....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies for bringing up an old thread, but this is worth reading;
    The question of whether to carry a gun on board a yacht for protection has been answered for one American citizen, when he was released from a Mexican jail after more than four months in custody.

John Peerson, captain of the $4 million private yacht 'Reel Screamer,' was released from jail Wednesday and flew back to the United States from Cancun.

'We just want him back to normal and to realize that he's safe and nothing's going to happen to him,' said Peerson's mother, Dian Pritchard. 'It was all just a bizarre thing from beginning to end.'

Peerson, 48, of DeFuniak Springs, was arrested Jan. 20 during a stop in the Port of Isla Mujeres, off the Yucatan Peninsula, where Mexican authorities boarded the yacht and seized a pistol, a rifle, a shotgun and ammunition.

The former Destin boat captain was en route from Costa Rica to Miami and had stopped for fuel at the Colombian island of San Andres. By the time he reached Mexico's Isla Mujeres, the weather was threatening.

When Peerson stopped to wait out the storm, Mexican authorities asked him to move the yacht to a military docking station for a drug search.

Peerson insisted they search the yacht where it was rather than risk damage in transit. He was arrested on the weapons charges soon after that.

He spent 127 days in jail and in court arguing his case.

The guns belonged to yacht owner Wayne Rickert and were aboard for protection against pirates, terrorists and even drug users looking to party, Peerson's family said. Peerson insisted he had declared the guns beforehand.

The language barrier in court only made his case tougher to prove, Pritchard said. An attorney eventually cleared it up.

'It's been such a roller coaster. All during this whole ordeal, they've told us one thing and that never happened, so we've just been up and down and up and down,' she said. 'I'm sure those days must have felt like years to him.'

The yacht has not been released.

Peerson was spending his first few days home 'just trying to decompress,' Prichard said, but may talk about his trials later.

'He's back and I have one word, and that's ‘hallelujah,' ' she said. 'And don't go to Mexico.'

by nfw Daily News/Sail-World 1:20 AM Mon 1 Jun 2009

http://www.sail-world.com/cruising/index.cfm?nid=57359&rid=11

Advertisement