Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA/BJJ Hygiene

Options
  • 27-03-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

Training Hygiene
    As most of us know, martial arts/wrestling mats are constantly bombarded with a variety of bacteria, fungi, and even viruses as numerous people train on them. Even the cleanest mats will have these organisms on them. Our body's natural immunity can handle most of this, but if the bug is particularly virulent, in high numbers, or if you do not conduct proper personal hygiene before and after training, you can end up with a nasty skin infection. In Minnesota this week, the sport of competitive wrestling has been temporarily halted due to an outbreak of a contagious virus that affects the skin.
    There are a few main ways you can help to prevent contracting mat-borne dermatologic problems.

1) ALWAYS wear a clean gi on the mat.
    A gi is to be worn only ONE time and then not worn again until it has been thoroughly washed. Some believe the myth that "letting a gi air out" is sufficient to kill bugs and get the stink out. It isn't. Ringworm and other organisms can live in the material for a number of days and you recontaminate the mats when you roll like pigpen.

2) Have an extra gi (or 2). This goes with point #1. Sometimes getting to the Laundromat more than once a week is hard so you need to have spare clean gi(s).

2) If you have a cut on your skin - anywhere that may contact the mat - either wrap it thoroughly with a protective barrier or do not train. Many dermatologic bugs don't need to enter the bloodstream to cause a skin disease, but if your skin is open, you are highly susceptible to other illnesses and potentially greater dermatologic complications.

3) *If you are aware of a dermatologic condition that you have - inform the instructor and do NOT train. *Also, do not train if you have a cold, flu, virus, cold sores/fever blisters/herpes etc.

4) *Keep fingernails and toenails neatly trimmed. *The hands and feet are constantly contaminated with bacteria and fungi. *A prime habitat for them is under and around the nails. *As we train, it is easy to accidentally scratch your partner which can impregnate the skin with bugs. *Along those lines, wash your feet thoroughly each day - the old "let the water run down while I stand in the shower" doesn't cut it. *Fungi live on the feet for days so if you walk on the mat with jacked up dogs, you can contribute to
    the problem.

5) *When you shower, use ANTIBACTERIAL soap. Surprisingly, there are not many soaps on the market that can actually kill bacteria. *An oldie but goodie is DIAL, and it even comes in a body wash that doesn't smell like your grandpa.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~armbar/safety.htm

Found this article on Hygiene thought it might benefit some people.
    I think Hygiene is a very important but sometimes over looked issue in MMA/BJJ.

anyone got any more info to add...? or tips on cleaning Gi`s correctly...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Any tips on brushing teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

TomRooney wrote: »
    *Also, do not train if you have...herpes etc.

I had to laugh at this one. I imagined some poor sod getting diagnosed with herpes and the first thought he has is "damn can't go training on Wednesday" haha

4) *Keep fingernails and toenails neatly trimmed. *The hands and feet are constantly contaminated with bacteria and fungi. *A prime habitat for them is under and around the nails. *As we train, it is easy to accidentally scratch your partner which can impregnate the skin with bugs. *Along those lines, wash your feet thoroughly each day - the old "let the water run down while I stand in the shower" doesn't cut it. *Fungi live on the feet for days so if you walk on the mat with jacked up dogs, you can contribute to
    the problem.

This one bothers me. It seriously p1ssed me off rolling with anyone who has long nails. U end up with a whole load of needless grazes and cuts because someone is too lazy to take 2 minutes and use a nail clippers. I mean u can clip your nails sitting on the can FFS!!

/rant
    Valmont wrote: »
    I had to laugh at this one. I imagined some poor sod getting diagnosed with herpes and the first thought he has is "damn can't go training on Wednesday" haha

This is the real reason I haven't been training!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭wayne1

Training Hygiene
    As most of us know, martial arts/wrestling mats are constantly bombarded with a variety of bacteria, fungi, and even viruses as numerous people train on them. Even the cleanest mats will have these organisms on them. Our body's natural immunity can handle most of this, but if the bug is particularly virulent, in high numbers, or if you do not conduct proper personal hygiene before and after training, you can end up with a nasty skin infection. In Minnesota this week, the sport of competitive wrestling has been temporarily halted due to an outbreak of a contagious virus that affects the skin.
    There are a few main ways you can help to prevent contracting mat-borne dermatologic problems.

1) ALWAYS wear a clean gi on the mat.
    A gi is to be worn only ONE time and then not worn again until it has been thoroughly washed. Some believe the myth that "letting a gi air out" is sufficient to kill bugs and get the stink out. It isn't. Ringworm and other organisms can live in the material for a number of days and you recontaminate the mats when you roll like pigpen.

2) Have an extra gi (or 2). This goes with point #1. Sometimes getting to the Laundromat more than once a week is hard so you need to have spare clean gi(s).

2) If you have a cut on your skin - anywhere that may contact the mat - either wrap it thoroughly with a protective barrier or do not train. Many dermatologic bugs don't need to enter the bloodstream to cause a skin disease, but if your skin is open, you are highly susceptible to other illnesses and potentially greater dermatologic complications.

3) *If you are aware of a dermatologic condition that you have - inform the instructor and do NOT train. *Also, do not train if you have a cold, flu, virus, cold sores/fever blisters/herpes etc.

the problem.

5) *When you shower, use ANTIBACTERIAL soap. Surprisingly, there are not many soaps on the market that can actually kill bacteria. *An oldie but goodie is DIAL, and it even comes in a body wash that doesn't smell like your grandpa.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~armbar/safety.htm

Found this article on Hygiene thought it might benefit some people.
    I think Hygiene is a very important but sometimes over looked issue in MMA/BJJ.

anyone got any more info to add...? or tips on cleaning Gi`s correctly...?

Hygiene is very important in all contact sports , i was in hospital for 10 days after one no gi competition i got a cut on the leg and caught a a very bad Staphylococcus Infection [ MRSA] because i had a open wound on the leg ,i wash myseif with tea tree it kills any bugs on ur skin, its no joke if this get in to ur blood stream it would kill u .

I know staph can be rampant in the states but have any gyms here in Ireland ever had an outbreak? You should check out Kevin Randleman's Staph infection (if you are really that bored of course) it was nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Mat infections are no joke. We're lucky enough we've never had an outbreak but I think that's cos we're all clean livin people, and also we don't sweat too much we prefer to do the grappling katas.

That being said, I know 3 guys (4 now I didn't know Wayne had got staph) who have spent time in hospital from mat carried infections. Herpes (yes herpes!), cellulitis (sp?) and one guy got some random skin infection on his neck (that last one was me!). I was in hospital, bed for 4 days and on major antibiotics and couldn't shave for two months.

I've had some fungal infection on my cheek before from a cut that got somethin in it Roper so I know it's no joke. Hence why nails really get my goat. No need for it! Wanna keep your nails long? Great, but GTFO out of the gym!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

I've had some fungal infection on my cheek before from a cut that got somethin in it Roper so I know it's no joke. Hence why nails really get my goat. No need for it! Wanna keep your nails long? Great, but GTFO out of the gym!!
    Believe it or not, I actually keep a scissors on the counter in my gym for that very reason.

It takes two seconds a nail!!!!!!

Roper wrote: »
    Believe it or not, I actually keep a scissors on the counter in my gym for that very reason.

It takes two seconds a nail!!!!!!

Good call. I'm gonna have to start petitioning Jonesey!! Seriously though, that should be a standard rule really, when u spent that much time in such an environment where bacteria can spread so easily it should be common sense to keep your damn nails short!!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

wayne1 wrote: »
    Hygiene is very important in all contact sports , i was in hospital for 10 days after one no gi competition i got a cut on the leg and caught a a very bad Staphylococcus Infection [ MRSA] because i had a open wound on the leg ,i wash myseif with tea tree it kills any bugs on ur skin, its no joke if this get in to ur blood stream it would kill u .

that looks nasty man, is that you...?

there realy should be pre fight checks for hygiene.
    there should also be a cleaning regime in the gym or mat area,
    i for one wouldnt mind staying back for 10 mins or so to clean the matts.

it only takes a bit of a skin infection and your out of training for weeks, its just not worth it, then theres the risk of serious complications from infection, i dont think it can be stressed to much.

• Advertisement

i can see the funny side of it, but it wouldnt be too funny if you caught Herpes from some geezer who was rolling around with an open sore.

i can see the funny side of it, but it wouldnt be too funny if you caught Herpes from some geezer who was rolling around with an open sore.

Stop tempting me to post inappropriate jokes! Also lighten up I was taking the piss:rolleyes:

Stop tempting me to post inappropriate jokes! Also lighten up I was taking the piss:rolleyes:

i know you where thats why i said i see the funny side of it Ha! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

It wouldn't be very nice to have to tell your friends that you'd caught herpes... from a guy!

It wouldn't be very nice to have to tell your friends that you'd caught herpes... from a guy!

never mind your friends imagine telling your woman you caught herpes from a man at the gym....haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

TomRooney

never mind your friends imagine telling your woman you caught herpes from a man at the gym....haha

Just told my woman I got ringworm off a man at the gym. I'm glad that doghouse was build well... :o

that looks nasty man, is that you...?

there realy should be pre fight checks for hygiene.
    there should also be a cleaning regime in the gym or mat area,
    i for one wouldnt mind staying back for 10 mins or so to clean the matts.

it only takes a bit of a skin infection and your out of training for weeks, its just not worth it, then theres the risk of serious complications from infection, i dont think it can be stressed to much.
    No just caught mine in time this is mind the first picture is the start and 1 day later the 2 picture it gets a hold of u very quick:mad:

wayne1 wrote: »
    No just caught mine in time this is mind the first picture is the start and 1 day later the 2 picture it gets a hold of u very quick:mad:

what the f**k that looks bad, how did you get rid of it. how did you get it exactly...?

what the f**k that looks bad, how did you get rid of it. how did you get it exactly...?
    I was in hospital on I V s for 10 days , i had a little cut on that part of the leg and did not think anything of it was in a no gi competition on a saturday by monday i was in hospital i reckon
    i got on the mats because on the saturday nite my leg was starting to burn me and a bit itchy .

ALWAYS COVER ANY CUTS IF UR ON THE MAT OR IN A CHANGEING ROOM (MRSA, BACTERIA ) IS EVERY WHERE IF LIVES EVERYWHERE AND ANYWHERE.

Advertisement