Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochestown

Options
  • 27-03-2009 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

So my plans have changed, instead of moving to the area around Saint Luke's Cross, I'm now moving to Rochestown. Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do/places to eat in Rochestown? What is the neighbourhood like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I just moved out of Rochestown. My commute in the morning was around 45 minutes because of the severe traffic problems.

Unless you walk, do not ever, ever buy a house in Rochestown.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Rochestown is like a mini D4.

People who think for some reason that based on where they live they are in fact superior to others.

I'd avoid the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

It's close to Douglas which is a great spot for pretty much everything. Has a decent bus Service and everything too, but its not that close to the city. The closer you are to Douglas, the better though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have relatives on my mothers side in Rochestown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

latchyco wrote: »
    I have relatives on my mothers side in Rochestown :)
    ....Uhmm? That's neat, are they open to a crazy Canadian visiting?

I'm going to be working at the Loughmahon Technology Park... wonder how the commute is? I would have sooner stayed closer to the downtown but the move was out of control.

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »

People who think for some reason that based on where they live they are in fact superior to others.

I'd avoid the place.

...sounds like I will fit in very well. :)

Jhazon wrote: »
    ....Uhmm? That's neat, are they open to a crazy Canadian visiting?

I'm going to be working at the Loughmahon Technology Park... wonder how the commute is? I would have sooner stayed closer to the downtown but the move was out of control.
    I dont know ,I was last there as a 5 year old child and that was a 200 mile round trip from Dublin . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

jayteecork wrote: »

Wow i didnt know they had council estates in D4!!!

Rochestown has a few affluent areas but at least 95% of it is regular housing estates!

Actually, if you had a bike, you could get to work quite easily through a walkway which cuts accross the river from rochestown to mahon. Would save you going all the way through douglas and down to mahon and cut a fair ammount off the trip. Either way though, you're going to need some form of public transport. There is no direct bus route going to Lough Mahon, and the only way of getting there by bus would be to get the bus into town, and then take the number 10 to Mahon which would take quite a while!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

where loughmahon? I wouldnt really rely on the bus service out here. Its times are... all over the place would be an understatment, its the 223 if ya wanna check out the timetable on the website and see what I mean. The traffic really only effects you though depending when you need to be in work. For example, the guy i live with works in ballincollig, drives and leaves here at 845 to be in for 9. whereas if you wanted to be in the city for 9 youd be getting the 8 o clock bus would land you in town for about 845).
    Then the evenings coming back out are the same.

I like the area. Ive been out this direction for about 2 years and my only real gripe with the area is the bus service. Im startin to drive now so thats become less of a problem. Just watch your rent. Parts of rochestown are pricey for no other reason than it being pricey. Some landlords have calmed down others not so much. Where i am there was 3 places for rent all identical with 250 a month of a difference between the highest and lowest of the 3.

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Wow i didnt know they had council estates in D4!!!
    Aren't they lucky .

The number 16 bus operates in Rochestown since a few months ago and has helped connect it to the city much better!

ya forgot that, depends where in rochestown you are though. that bus is a bloody rip off. I went on a big rant about it when i was living up mount oval. it really depends on what part of rochestown youre going to be living? the closer to douglas the easier life would be for you cause during the week theres also the number 19 that runs from cit to mahon but passes through douglas.
    If youre further out the rochestown road, dj hafez's idea of a bike and in the old railway line (or even walking it is about 15/20 minutes) would be the fastest

So what is there to do for fun/excitment in the Rochestown & Douglas area? Any good pubs? Any sports pubs where I can keep up on my Liverpool matches while enjoying a pint?

5 or 6 pubs so you won't be lost there. Not sure which ones would have the liverpool though, sorry!

East village isnt really what it used to be but has all sports, no allegience. I think the Bennigans in mahon point is a LFC bar? yeah? no? cant be to sure.

Douglas would be your main source of entertainment, although depending where in rochestown you'll be the Inn is good on Saturdays, do you know where you're staying yet?

I'll be just off Kiltegan Lawn...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Right next to meself so! :-) your guna be about 5-10 min max walking to the middle of douglas, theres a great connection to town as 3-4 buses go through regularly, just a bit up the road away from douglas you can get on the south link and drive to mahon but tbh traffic is always mental around there and mahon! (Quite a few fender-benders sum mornings) bike is probably your best bet for getting to work! Douglas has a gd few bars around east village area and ofc K.C's which is a must :-D

Sorry for double post (im on phone nd doesnt let you write a lot) tis quite a safe area, most of the local kids are nice but a few bad eggs about! Also been sum crime around lately, wainsfort and mount oval there were a load of wing mirrors broken off. Few nice restaurants in douglas too, ive been told bullys is nice again (was bad for a while) an indian place and loads of take away places for soakage during a night out!:-) K.Cs usually queues out the door. And ofc we have a mac donalds if ur splashing out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

magicianz wrote: »
    Sorry for double post (im on phone nd doesnt let you write a lot) tis quite a safe area, most of the local kids are nice but a few bad eggs about! Also been sum crime around lately, wainsfort and mount oval there were a load of wing mirrors broken off. Few nice restaurants in douglas too, ive been told bullys is nice again (was bad for a while) an indian place and loads of take away places for soakage during a night out!:-) K.Cs usually queues out the door. And ofc we have a mac donalds if ur splashing out!

i was wondering why its so cheap to rent in mount oval,get your wing mirror kicked off then get stuck in traffic for an hour every morning,reminds me of dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Get a bike and you are sorted for going anywhere, Don't leave it in the garden though!!!

You will be very close to Loughmahon, Only 3 mile's, but a bike would be necessary, you would be wasting alot of money and time if you got the Bus every morning. And lot's of time if you drive.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/ie/cork/979123820606368458

That's the route, quite easy after you get off the Rochestown road there will be little traffic.

bladebrew wrote: »
    i was wondering why its so cheap to rent in mount oval,get your wing mirror kicked off then get stuck in traffic for an hour every morning,reminds me of dublin

Only happened once and as for traffic, where i live and OP is thinking of moving to it takes 15-20 mins to get into the city in the morning :-) not to mention the drunk polish ppl who practiced their golf swings by aiming for the link :-D

magicianz wrote: »
    ...there were a load of wing mirrors broken off...

Are we talking mirrors on cars being broken off? Is this a recent trend in crime? The only time I've heard of someone's mirror being broken off here in Canada is when they struck a deer on the highway. It's always a bless since you don't want to strike a moose.

Are we talking mirrors on cars being broken off? Is this a recent trend in crime?

Only happened one night but ppl are worried a bit now. Dont have to worry about any mooses here :-) we have an anti moose patrol :-P

If you posted about anywhere in the world, you're bound to hear bad things so don't let it turn you off Rochestown.

Ballinlough is probably the only area that people can't complain about :p Am I right boardsies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

As long as you don't go down the japs in the dark.

I'm living in delford drive myself. Nice area, 5 minutes walk to dunnes, and douglas. No.16 is fair handy too.Prone to the odd bit of anti social behaviour but where isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    Ballinlough is probably the only area that people can't complain about :p Am I right boardsies :D

Are ya kidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Kiltegan will be handy for Douglas but forget about public transport to Loughmahon. Despite all the scare mongering going on here Rochestown is not a crime ridden cesspit or anything. It's fine. The only complaint I would have is traffic due to the bad building/town planning in the last 10 years.

Not sure if you plan on getting a car but if you are starting at 8am in Loughmahon it should only take you 10-15mins to get to work from Kiltegan. Cycling will take a little bit longer & you'll be taking a different route than the bridge suggested earlier, that bridge is further down towards Rochestown "village" itself (near the Rochestown Inn). I think your best bet cycling would be to go via Douglas village & then via the Well Road.

As for pubs & restaurants there are loads, including every imaginable takeaway joint you can imagine within a 10 minute walk.

Pubs:
    East Village (restaurant OK there too, well I like it)
    Barrys (nice building but not my cup of tea)
    Driscolls (a shadow if it's former self 15 years ago)
    John O'Sullivans
    South County
    Stretching the legs a bit:
    Rochestown Inn
    Mount Oval Bar
    Briar Rose

Restaurants:
    Amicus
    Ecos
    East Village
    Bullys
    Barrys
    Probys Bistro
    Nakon Thai (like this)
    Radhuni Indian East Douglas Village
    Havelli Indian Restaurant
    Lal Quilla Indian Restaurant
    Mrs Dees
    Plus a few of the bars mentioned above also do food

Takeaway:
    KCs
    Dominos
    Bamboo Chinese
    2 additional Chinese that I can't remember the name of
    Indian & Thai restaurants also do takeaway
    Indian Deelite
    4 Star Pizza
    McDonalds
    Dinos Chip Shop

are all within an easy walk of Kiltegan

Kiltegan is also right next to one of the larger Shopping Centres with coffee shops, Juice bars, etc.

There are 3 banks in Douglas too. Bank of Ireland, Permanent TSB & Allied Irish Bank in the shopping centre.

Chartbusters
    have an internet café with web cams, etc. in the middle of Douglas village. The area is also covered by all the mobile networks with HSDPA (mobile broadband not good for Skype though due to latency).

Hey magicianz is that small convenience shop still open in Kiltegan Park? Another handy one for OP.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Hey magicianz is that small convenience shop still open in Kiltegan Park? Another handy one for OP.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

bladebrew wrote: »

sorry i was a bit harsh on rochestown there,its certainly not like dublin,definetly consider ballinlough though aswell it has gangs of kids roaming like everywhere else but there harmless!

Advertisement