Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rochestown

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Traffic is certainly not to Dublin levels, so don't be put off by those comments

I have to disagree RR, I was renting for 6 months in Abbotswood, and if I left my house at any time between 7.45 and 8.30, it would take me approx 20-25 minutes just to reach the entry point to the link road. The amount of fuel my car was drinking as a result was ridiculous.

Rochestown is very poorly executed in terms of traffic management. All cars coming from Rochestown, Passage West, and Monkstown are funnelled into the same 1 lane road, which is then fed even further by cars joining at monastery road, coach hill, et al. It's a nightmare, and I'm glad I'm out of it.

I have a house now in Ballintemple, and instead of taking me almost an hour to get to work, and 50 Euro of Petrol a week, it takes me 8 minutes, and about 15 Euro of Petrol instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

ned78 wrote: »
    I have to disagree RR, I was renting for 6 months in Abbotswood, and if I left my house at any time between 7.45 and 8.30, it would take me approx 20-25 minutes just to reach the entry point to the link road....

I agree with your comments on Abbotswood, I lived there (Abbotswood Mews) for 3-4 years! With Abbotswood you are contending with the the Passage West crowd. Where to Op is looking the traffic will not nearly be as bad, out of Kiltegan onto the Sth Link or through Douglas (to get to Mahon) will be fine if you are not aiming for the 9am start.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I lived there (Abbotswood Mews)

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Jeez lads you are certainly scaring our Canadian friend!...

Is there a gun shop in the area? :D No worries, by the sounds and looks (via Microsoft's "Bird's Eye") of the area, it's a far cry from some places that I've lived at before.

If I can find a pub to catch my Liverpool games and even better a pub that carries baseball games from the States (Go Red Sox!), I'll be all set.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Most pubs would be closing just as the baseball is beginning. :(

On another note:

My brother's car was robbed from outside our house in Thornbury last year and burned out.

But that was the first time in 18 years I've even heard and anything being robbed from our place, or newarby.

It was an easy to steal car anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Jhazon wrote: »
    Is there a gun shop in the area?

Nearest one would be in Murrays in town. But as a Canadian Citizen(Presumably you are anyway), you can't have one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Cable

If I can find a pub to catch my Liverpool games and even better a pub that carries baseball games from the States (Go Red Sox!), I'll be all set.

The east village will have the Liverpool games anyway, its just a pity the place has quietened down a bit. If there's reruns of the baseball they'll put it on at least one of the tvs to as long as theres no major games on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Wouldnt it be cool if a hurling club went to canada and tried to get it started! xD sorry for off-topic! You will probably find a bar in the city tht has liverpool games on anyway if nothing on in douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Unless Man Utd are playing Chelsea or something at the same time, you won't find it difficult to find a Liverpool game. May involve a bit of wandering from pub to pub though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

for all your football televisual feasts just take the river-side walk to Passage West where many a fine drinking emporium can be found showing all your favourite cross-channel football (a gold chain or two would help you even more when settling in with the locals) ;)

• Advertisement

magicianz wrote: »
    Wouldnt it be cool if a hurling club went to canada and tried to get it started!
    ...it would be interesting but most people know "hurling" as a term for vomiting. ie. Johnny got loaded and hurled on the living room rug.

What about bus services in Rochestown? I've been looking around for a map of bus routes that shows stops but Bus Éireann offers nothing like that... only time tables, which is not helpful since I have no clue on location. Can say I've ever ran across a bus service that doesn't offer maps of stops for routes!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

What about bus services in Rochestown? I've been looking around for a map of bus routes that shows stops but Bus Éireann offers nothing like that... only time tables, which is not helpful since I have no clue on location. Can say I've ever ran across a bus service that doesn't offer maps of stops for routes!?

There are lots of things about the Cork bus service that doesn't make much sense. The routes are very irregular, the schedule can be a bit ad-hoc (certain buses do not run some days, e.g., if school is canceled), and most of the time the bus stops aren't labeled properly. I don't know where you can get the maps, but you can ask here with details of where you want to go and people could give you an idea.

Guess it might be a bit before I get my own car so wondering what bus I could catch near Rochestown Park Hotel to get downtown/Merchants Quay area.

Guess it might be a bit before I get my own car so wondering what bus I could catch near Rochestown Park Hotel to get downtown/Merchants Quay area.

You can get the 223 from right outside the estate. But its EXTREMELY unreliable! Best bet is to go to douglas and get a bus straight into town. There are loads of buses that stop between the shell garage and tescos (middle of douglas basically) and there are a few that go to town. As for getting off get a boardy to go along :-)

Coming out from town you could take the number 16. Stops close enough to the Rochestown Park. But it doesn't come back the same way I think... A short walk to douglas anyway to the buses as magicianz said :)

I'm really blown away at the poor transit setup. Between the bus service and rail, not sure which one is more inadequate. After living in Germany for 6 months, nothing beats their focus on mass transit. The only positive points for Canada is that most metro services are very up to date and reliable, but we loose out on our rail service which is all but a single line between east and west coast. But everyone and their dog owns a car in Canada and the highway/road system have been greatly developed over the last few years (not to mention cheap petro). At least I found my first topic of discussion for the pubs... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

At least I found my first topic of discussion for the pubs... :p

Yes, public transport is a safe topic that everyone will relate to. But then again, in Ireland it is safe to moan about almost anything as a topic of discussion in the pub.

"Damn pint glasses, they should really make them smaller" is one I heard at the bar last week. I love the way we irish complain so much even if it doesn't make ANY sense :D

As for pubs & restaurants there are loads, including every imaginable takeaway joint you can imagine within a 10 minute walk.

Thanks RR. After going through the list, still having found a suitable pub. Guess I will be scoping out for the first bit. Just want a place that serves a great pint, big screen TV and a sizable cast of local characters (screw the pretty faces, I'll take a drunken conversation with some old plug on most days) :D

Anyone know of a good barber in the Rochestown & Douglas area? I need a real barber, one that can cut a flat top/jarhead...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Hey magicianz is that small convenience shop still open in Kiltegan Park? Another handy one for OP.

It's been a construction site for about a year now i'd say. I used to work there lovely place :D

OP Rochestown is a great place to live i just don't like that there's nothing nearby but as you have a car you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Hah, I remember hanging out in that shop, pestering the staff when I was younger. Good times. Shame it's gone, twas fierce handy.

Twas a gd shop :-P i remember the days tht going there wud be a big thing xP as for barbers the 2 in douglas court , a small basic one and peter marks which is pretty much a styling place. Ive seen a guy around with that hair cut ill ask him if i see him around :-P

...as for barbers the 2 in douglas court , a small basic one and peter marks which is pretty much a styling place. Ive seen a guy around with that hair cut ill ask him if i see him around :-P

Thanks magicianz!

Just to make sure the hairstyle your talking about is the one where the hair is short and pointing straight up and its flat cut across the top?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just to make sure the hairstyle your talking about is the one where the hair is short and pointing straight up and its flat cut across the top?
    Is this it?

1adam.jpg

Is this it?

You mean... IMG_00381.jpg

btw, that's not me. lol

Another week until I arrive in Cork.... thanks for the information folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

dont forget an umbrella:)

• Advertisement

bladebrew wrote: »
    dont forget an umbrella:)

lol... something I'll be buying when I get there and leaving there since I've never owned an umbrella in my life. Then again, not sure how many Irish own a pair of snowshoes. (I'll take the umbrella over the snow shoes)

Advertisement