Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What were your orals like?

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

How did they go? Ive only done irish so far and it went good enough but ive heard of examiners who kept interupting and asking really stupid questions! So how did they go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

not great.....not great at all...we had a mock oral 2 days before my oral ...they called in some teacher from other school...she said i was excellent an A standard ....i was delighted but on the day of my oral didnt do gr8.....was so nervous i kept making mistakes......:( an he asked me tough questions which no one else had been asked:( my teacher said it was cause i was doing gud...but...i donno...meh:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

Horrible..I had to read sliocht 5 which i have some mental block over..forgot to say who it was by...Kept using french words like oui and pardon...forgot how to say tank you at the end ..said go raibh maith agam or something ..on the plus i never have to speak irish again..but since the oral ive been using the odd focail or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Toad-Girl

I'm pretty sure I left my examiner questioning my sexuality after french!!! Good job I'm only pass couldn't string a sentence!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Toad-Girl wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I left my examiner questioning my sexuality after french!!!

Ah haha! What?
    I told my examiner last year I give my mother a hand around the house by engaging in threesomes. :P
    It was accidental... the words for " threesome" and "housework" are easy to confuse :P

I've French next week, not excited. Especially sicne I'm sick at the moment and have no energy/ concentration.
    Irish went well though, so I'm happy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I had Irish on Monday and it went fine. The examiner was great, I even made him laugh a few times (not at my bad irish, I'm genuinely funny, I swear!:p). I'm only pass though so I'm not too bothered. German monday evening/tuesday morning, I'm well nervous etc. so many things to learn!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 dougiehouser

i had irish yesterday was in for half an hour had some laugh with the examiner he was well over the 60's and we talked about football and the ICA in my area. i told him my nanny was a member of the ICA even though the ICA is gone about 20 years in my area :rolleyes: woops!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

UnDeNiAbLe wrote: »
    he asked me tough questions which no one else had been asked

That's generally a sign that they think you're doing very well. The time to worry is if the examiner sticks to very straightforward simple questions and topics.
    Congrats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Kept using french words like oui and pardon

Me too. I know I said juin instead of the Irish for June, pretty sure that I said the odd word now and then when it made no sense to put them there.

French next Thursday, but I'm much better at it than Irish, so should go a lot better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I don't think I did too bad.

The examiner was really nice but she asked hard questions like "Talk about the crest on my school jumper" (Or something like that, In Irish of course)

I also got 30/30 in my sliocht (I read no. 4). I know I got 30 because after the oral, I shook her hand and I looked at the sheet :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

Larkin501 wrote: »
    I also got 30/30 in my sliocht (I read no. 4). I know I got 30 because after the oral, I shook her hand and I looked at the sheet :p

firstly, fair play!!

secondly, after i read mine the examiner was writing down my mark trying his upmost not to let me see it! he did it really secretly like it was his creditcard number it was quite funny now!

also, a lad in my school went in and said he had no. 1,2,3,4,5 when he really only had 1,3,5. the examiner then asked him to read number 2 and he said "ahh fúck, i don't have that one!" which was followed by the two of them breaking their arses laughing! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 randomcorkgirl

I done mine last year and they were honestly the best part of the whole leaving cert i enjoyed them and whatnot...
    My sliochts were drilled into my head by my irish teacher and he taught us the munster dialect so were had one up on a the rest of our year! i kept the examiner talking so he couldnt ask me any overly difficult questions
    in french i tought myself cos my teacher was out sick ALL YEAR and i actually done way better then expected and i even explained in french how we had no teacher, then i disscussed everything with her like the local shopping amenities to my plans for the summer and my part time job!
    I did awesomely and i think the rest of my class failed!!! Just shows how u dont need any help to achieve!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭--homeslice--

french was terrifying, i went in, she asked me what was i going to be doing during the summer, i stumbled over my words and started to cry!
    she had to restart the tape again, very embarassing!!
    after that it went grand though!

irish was surprisingly good! although i couldn't remember the word for bird, so i flapped my arms, causing the examiner to question my sanity.... all in all, not as daunting as i had expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

aww bless, i'm getting a great laugh out of this thread :D

my irish started out a bit messy. I walked in with my sliocht in my hand, and the examiner stuck his hand out. He wanted to shake hands but I thought he wanted to see my sliochts, so i sort of jabbed the sheet into his hand. When he wouldnt take them i shoved them a little harder into his hand but he wouldnt grab them to i let go and they dropped to the floor. Then he laughed and told me he just wanted to shake hands :rolleyes:. I gave him a paper cut in the process!

other than that irish went ok... have french tomorrow though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

German was pretty funny, I'd be hoping to do reasonably well, but I just froze at the start and completely forgot how to say my date of birth in German and I just stared at her. She eventually helped me out, but she wasn't the friendliest so it took long enough for it to become extremely awkward.
    I eventually snapped out of it and I got on fine once I loosened up a bit. She even showed 2 of the Bildergeshichtes by accident as she was presenting them so I picked my favourite, and there was a rumour going round that the Pas Verloren roleplay was on a sheet which had a different shade of pink to the rest, so I stayed away from that, (it turned out to be true!).
    I would think that I got around the B3/B2 mark hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

Irish went fairly good even though im a complete capper at it. The examiner was bang on, let us pick the sliochts and asked us before we went in about what we wanted to talk about. She asked me some question didn't have a clue what she said(it was about did you travel on holidays) and she started flapping her arms indicating a airplane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I had my Irish today. Early on the examiner discovered that I'm a Galway United fan. It turned out he was too. He seemed to think everything I said after that was great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

I'd my Irish Oral today. After missing a month of school, I am very very very happy with how it went :D

Missed my Spanish Oral though, so have to do it in May...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

had my french oral on tuesday! actually went really well.. examiner asked me would i like to play for the irish rugby team when im older and what would i do if i were minster for education! thank God i prepared it! not the rugby team thing tho! had to make up stuff for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Irish: Had it last monday. Went very well. Sliocht 5 was the choice and it was funny saying the flute story! Daingean Ui Chuis worked a treat about was I ever in the gaeltacht which I wasnt but I have a holiday home down there and my mam is from there so it went really well. The examiner was from tralee which added to the faboulousness.

French: Made us clearly aware that nothing would be asked about drugs, alcohol, the recession and that she just wanted to hear our story! so I was put at ease. My Barack Obama document was the highlight and the examiner kept making comments about Michelle Obama's dress in one of the photos! '' Cette jupe, j'ai porte ca hier'' and I was like..................d'accord ( where the **** was I with saying this document ) That was the only difficulty if it could be called one! The woman just didnt want to sound silent on the tape. Very random:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm happy with how they went, like in the exam itself I wasn't too nervous and felt things were happening nicely, but even though the oral itself went well I still mightn't have gotten particularly high marks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Irish was a bit of a farce tbh... didn't know ****!

French was alri, could've/should've done better but the examiner didn't let me expand at all... she was sound enuf but interrupted way too much.

Glad there over now, we're on the home stretch, kindof freaky.only 8 weeks or thereabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

German went as well as could be expected. Irish was great though. Actually quite a nice conversation. We talked about Berlin, Cars, my school and bizzarely, my broken Xbox 360!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Did brilliant in irish, absolute ****e in french. probably should do pass now I wish they'd tell you what you got

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Irish was ok.

French was disaster. I brought in a Document of a football match I went to in Germany...She didn't ask a single thing about football, grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

French was hideously awful, I muddled my words and cried and all sorts...

Irish was pretty good, except she asked me a couple of mental questions. I got 100/120 though, I'm happy enough :D

phasers wrote: »
    French was hideously awful, I muddled my words and cried and all sorts...

Irish was pretty good, except she asked me a couple of mental questions. I got 100/120 though, I'm happy enough :D

Firstly Irish is marked out of 150.

Secondly your not supposed to know what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,253 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Did ok in the Irish, the examiner was really cool and she told me afterwards that I did ok and had plenty of Irish after I kind of messed up 1 or 2 early ones

The French I did not so good in. I had stuff on my family prepared but she interrupted me when I got to how many brothers I had and asked me to describe them which threw me off. She said 'Oui' after every sentence I said and would basically repeat something close to what I said with just Oui at the end which basically forced me to answer Oui back. I didn't understand the last question she asked but found out later that it just meant journee typique which I had a fair bit prepared on, I'm gutted at how bad I did

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Firstly Irish is marked out of 150.

Secondly you're not supposed to know what you got.

My examiner left my sheet open and my friend read the result, we could all see the person's before us when we went in

I am so so sorry for posting the wrong number,can you ever forgive me?

why are you so hostile about it?

phasers wrote: »
    My examiner left my sheet open and my friend read the result, we could all see the person's before us when we went in

I am so so sorry for posting the wrong number,can you ever forgive me?

why are you so hostile about it?

Haahahaha. Of course I can forgive you. Im a christian!:D

Serious though about the sheet being open? Was it plain to see?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

French was hideous :(

I was really sick, did no last minute revision and I missed my designated time.
    Had to do it on Friday, in another school.

The examiner was lovely and very understanding, but I just WISH it had gone better :-/

JSK 252 wrote: »
    Haahahaha. Of course I can forgive you. Im a christian!:D
    LOL!

Advertisement