Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Year...

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Well I'm in 5th Year at the moment and I am absolutely dreading next year :( All the pressure!! Is it really as bad as everyone is saying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nah it's grand like! Up until Christmas it's just like 5th year except everyone's 18 so you'll be either out partying or wishing you were 18.

After Christmas there are mocks which are a bit of a pain but they do get you studying, then it's pretty much all systems go until June. You still have the craic though, if you have a good time in school up until 6th year it's unlikely to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

cork*girl wrote: »
    Well I'm in 5th Year at the moment and I am absolutely dreading next year :( All the pressure!! Is it really as bad as everyone is saying?

It's much worse.
    Much much worse.
    Get out of the education system NOW.
    Run along, get yourslef a qualification in butter churning or something instead.

No, really though, it's fine.
    Y'know, it even has it's good points. They're minimal, and no obvious examples are springing to mind, but they're there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

6th year was/still is the best year I've had in school so far.

Sure there's the Leaving Cert, but in nearly every other respect its just great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 marzabar

It's great in some parts without a doubt.
    Like, you have that whole "RAGH I'M A MIGHTY MIGHTY SIXTH YEAR" thing is school. It's lovely.

The study is difficult to manage at times but once you actually start off with some bit of determination you'll be fine.

Make the most of fifth year all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Wouldn't wish this year on my worst enemy! Ah no, seriously its not that bad. Keep on top of the study (although I do admit to procrastinating a bit more than I should!!) and you'll be grand. You will be treated like adults by the teachers which is kinda cool and you will have some fun with them.

The year literally flies by aswell, especially after christmas! There are only like 6 school weeks left!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Thanks.. put my mind at ease a bit!I get so parinoid about things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

It's not too bad. True, the mocks are a pain since most of the courses aren't done. The orals aren't even that bad, just a bit stressful. 6th year is probably one of the best years of your life with 18ths and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

Just seen this on the boards.ie homepage, thought I'd drop in.

DON'T WORRY. I felt the same way.
    Around Feb/March in 6th Year I remember getting quite down thinking I was doomed, hadn't done enough etc.

And now I'm a happy happy student who did much better than he thought he would :rolleyes: I can bet you most of you will be the exact same. The week before your head will play tricks with you and you'll go into 'OMG I probably got like....110 points!' mode.

Anytime you get down about it, think of the sheer number of people just like you who've come through the system (me..somehow) and haven't looked back at the damn thing since.

I originally joined boards because of the Leaving:o
    ----

I also want to say Fad has 'mazing taste in Music, Alk3 til I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

It's really grand once you don't leave the studying too late.
    And once the exams start you won't notice the time go by before they're all finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Fad wrote: »
    6th year was/still is the best year I've had in school so far.

Sure there's the Leaving Cert, but in nearly every other respect its just great craic.

Ye agree with this.

I find it better then fifth year and easier to manage because you know it's your final year and your finished forever. Gets you (well me) motivated, knowing that if I work hard now I'll reap the benefits next September and next 4 years (at least) whreras with 5th year it was like "aww another year of school next year, sure I'll jus do it then". Knowing I'd another year was totally demoralising. 6th year is different tho.

The only time I've felted pressure is when I haven't been organised, or haven't studied well enough for something ie my irish oral. So just make sure you start studying before Christmas and continue doin a bit. You'll be hearin that advice a lot next year, till the point where you want to punch the person who said it, but it's true.

Make sure you work early on and the pressure you feel will be a lot less around exam time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Des23

I'd also like to say to make sure you stay on top of things in 5th year. No need to persecute yourself but just don't leave things slide too much. It will just add stress to 6th year.
    As on 6th year in general, its grand, all you have to do is study like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I actually cant wait until the 15th of june at approx 1pm!

this year is a year of my life i will never get back!

talk about stressss :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

6th years great becuase you get on well with everybody in your year and you have a good laugh with the teachers because you've been in the school for so long.

The only stressful times are after Christmas when it leads the the Pre exams. The Irish and French/German/Italian (Whatever you do) orals.
    And, I assume, after easter :eek:

The easter holidays are going to be all study though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

cork*girl wrote: »

Yes. Really not understanding the 6th year love going around.
    Truly horrible. Ridiculously stressful and confidence-shattering.
    Also redefines the word tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

It's hella ****ty. I'm counting down the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Relax, I dont know how well I'll do but the only thing that stressed me so far is the French Oral. But I serious have to start proper studying :lol:

I'm Ordinary Irish so I couldn't care less about this Oral.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

5th year seemed worse then 6th year actually is.:)

that being said thinking about the leaving cert almost has me in tears so thats kinda crap.
    If your years anything like mine ya may end up really irritated.most of our year have crap attendance.ive never been in any full classes all year and people cry at least one a day.Im getting so grumpy over it that im considering just roaring at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

5th year seemed worse then 6th year actually is.:)

that being said thinking about the leaving cert almost has me in tears so thats kinda crap.
    If your years anything like mine ya may end up really irritated.most of our year have crap attendance.ive never been in any full classes all year and people cry at least one a day.Im getting so grumpy over it that im considering just roaring at them.

Be unoriginal and do what the german/american students do, buy a gun and shoot up the school . Would remove your worries of the leaving cert anywho:)

Advertisement