Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance co want details of Household contents insurer.

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

Just sending in a claim about a camera i had stolen when travelling. I just arrived home a few weeks ago.
    On the form it asks if you have Household contents insurance. Now i'm living with my family at the moment but i'm not even sure if we have, I presume we do.
    But it asks the company and policy number and all that. Can I just say no to avoid the hassle? I don't really see how household contents insurance applies when i was in Japan.
    It's OSG travel claims that i'm dealing with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I assume that it is because some household insurance policies also contain insurance for expensive goods (such as cameras/laptops etc) outside the home.

Thus, I assume that they want to check that you are not making a double claim for it. There is also a chance that they may get your household insurers to pay for it. Not quite sure what that procedure would be.

With regards filling out the form, you should always tell the truth. Even a simple accidental omission can result in the policy being voided and you getting nothing (it may seem like a small thing to you, but it is a type of fraud and any insurer would make a big deal out of it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thanks dotsman.
    Well I suppose i should root around and see if i can find that policy number then. Insurers really make you work to make a claim, which is probably fair enough but still a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bubski

They may even go 50/50 with your home insurance, but unless you have the camera insured for All Risks, they should not be able to do this.

Advertisement