Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamon Ryan interview on Late Late

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

I can honestly say I was impressed. He came across very well and spoke intelligently. The old green party ideal of an Irish economy based in green energy came up again although he explained the merits of it well. Perhaps not enough on how we could achieve that or when.

And credit where its due - him talking about the freedom of the press in this country and its importance was an obvious dig at Cowen and the apology he received from RTE. It ended a good interview on a high.

Any thoughts?

(Oh, and an afterthought...as i type this Pat Kenny just announced his Late Late show retirement - it may not be political but a good day for Ireland :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

SeaFields wrote: »
    (Oh, and an afterthought...as i type this Pat Kenny just announced his Late Late show retirement - it may not be political but a good day for Ireland :D)
    Didn't see Eamon Ryan's interview, but good to hear he came across well. On the afterthought, YEAY!!! About time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Yeah, He came across very well. He always does in fairness to him, Well able to do an interview although I wouldnt say Kenny really grilled him or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I'll refrain from my Peep Show style joke about how easy Pat went on Eamon.

I'll highlight one thing about this interview.

A state broadcaster interviewing a state minister when the prize for the show was paid for by a company that won a major contract with government recently.

Maybe I'm just paranoid and joining dots that don't exist but I'm suspicious about why Pat went so easy on Eamon.

At one point he basically said the green agenda put forward in the election was not possible now because of the financial crisis. Hello the economy was already going down hill at the election, they knew that before they election. All the parties did and they were all overly optimistic but just because they all did it is not a reason to let the Green Party off the hook given they like to at least pretend they are honourable and decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bet Kenny didn't ask him to justify why 3 got the "Rest of the Country" broadband deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

yes he came across well luckliy he's toned down his giddy enthusiasm for green smart economy green blaa, but its mostly positive positive lie lie on the economy.

then we had the self publicist otoole on, who thinks that we should impressed that she has moya doherty on her campaign?? wtf.

simply business greenwash, trying to claim its all in the past my clients didn't screw the irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

I voted green before and have been bitterly dissapointed with their performance, but credit to Ryan, he was good last night, he's alot more presentable and sincere than Gormley.

Could we see a leadership bid from Ryan?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

To say that anyone is 'interviewed' by Plank Kenny is a little bit misleading - Its more like Pat asks safe questions he thinks make him look smart and then totally ignores their answer 'cause he's already got a wittier question ready.....

It was plainly clear at election time that the Green Party were never going to have the funds or the freedom to implement their madcap policies or build their fleet of intergalactic spaceships etc. [or whatever catchy brand of nonsense they're pedalling these days]

The only people set to benefit in this story was, is and will be the Green Party themselves.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

Raiser wrote: »
    To say that anyone is 'interviewed' by Plank Kenny is a little bit misleading - Its more like Pat asks safe questions he thinks make him look smart and then totally ignores their answer 'cause he's already got a wittier question ready.....

The "interview" was a disgrace. I saw it for 10 minutes before I flicked back to another channel from across the water. Kenny allowed him to praise the governments performance etc etc...no hard questions were asked. To many a person who done a weeks work without being paid like me it was a sickener. Its ok for Kenny + Ryan on their big salaries + + holidays + pensions to look forward to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭NewDubliner

Fortunately for middle Ireland and its sponsors, he'll be presenting a dumbed-down replacement for 'Questions and Answers'.

yes he came across well luckliy he's toned down his giddy enthusiasm for green smart economy green blaa, but its mostly positive positive lie lie on the economy.

I didn't think he toned it down. He was talking about it last night.

He even made a joke that some people asked what they should do if they aren't knowledgeable which shows he's listening to the people and trying to come up with bull to get them on side too.

Seriously though, a lot of countries are going to push for a green economy and knowledge based jobs (not really high end research mostly so much as IT programming and similar level roles in other industries I imagine). Obama has gone on about it a few times and we are very linked to the US/UK economy with a lot of their companies here so it makes sense for us to copy and paste some of the things they are doing so we can align our selves with them.

Don't mistake the above for me not wanting to see more indigenous industry.

On a completed unrelated and irrelevant point, anyone notice how blood shot his eyes were last night? What the hell was that about? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I only saw the end of the interview last night so can't comment but I just don't think Pat Kenny is that bad and I'm glad he's moving to Questions and Answers.

I work in the energy industry and I've heard Pat interview members of the green elite (industry and politicians) before and he has a real good grasp of the problems. He has always asked the right questions. Maybe it's because he's an engineer.

Granted, he isn't good at light-entertainment but he's got his merits when it comes to current affairs. In my opinion, Pat moving to questions and answers is a win-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i only saw some of the interview, but what i did see was impressive.

Pat Kenny didin't go that easy on him either - he asked a couple of times why his [RTÉ] researchers had not received a reply to a list of questions they'd sent to John Gormley's office (can't rememeber what these questions were in relation to).

From what i saw though Eamon Ryan came across as very authentic and full of common sense ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I can honestly say I was impressed. He came across very well and spoke intelligently. The old green party ideal of an Irish economy based in green energy came up again although he explained the merits of it well. Perhaps not enough on how we could achieve that or when.

And credit where its due - him talking about the freedom of the press in this country and its importance was an obvious dig at Cowen and the apology he received from RTE. It ended a good interview on a high.

Any thoughts?

He converted me from someone who previously couldn't take to him at all, I was very impressed with him after the interview. I liked the story about his grandfather giving a farmer a 100 pound loan and him then finding the farmer drunk in the ditch that night with the pound notes blowing down the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Alcatel

What I've seen of Ryan, on the Late Late and elsewhere, has been a well polished performance. And I see him out there (on the communications side of his business) engaging the industry and making sound looking decisions. As ministers go he's looking like the top of our crop (even if that's not a particularly high bar to have to vault over, he's genuinely good.)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭TomRooney

Any thoughts?

green energy is always a good thing, but this whole climate change due to humans is a load of rubbish and just another way for the powers that be to squeeze more money out of us through taxation all at the behest of there banker/financial overlords.

the earth throughout history has been going through periods of heating up and cooling down we are just in a period of heating up again but it is well whitin the parameteres of expectaion, just look at historical climate change to prove it.

carbon taxation is daylight robbery, climate change due to human is a myhtical tax collection device its a world wide fraud perpetrated by the bilderberg corporation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Thanks lads for all the opinions. Didn't think such a majority of posts would agree with me.

After i had started this thread Kenny asked him a fairly difficult question (twice) as to why Gormley's office didn't respond to any of the suggestions made to his office. Felt Ryan dodged it fairly badly.

Yes, a leadership bid from him could do well although good to see Gormley coming out heavily against the present bank bonus scandal. That could stand to him with the grass roots

Yes, also enjoyed the story about the bank manager and the drunk farmer. (how true i wonder though?!) They're all the same them Macroom folk! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Its amazing how many people this clown managed to fool its easy to look good when been interviewed by Kenny . He is still a green minister and member of the cabinet that voted for the removal of the medical card from the over 70s without bothering to enquire what the income cut off threshold would be, what will he be voting for come april 7th This country cannot not afford the green agenda and this bullsh1t about green jobs is at the expense of thousands upon thousands of jobs been lost on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Rubbish. The creation of 'green' jobs is most certainly not at the expense of other jobs and has nothing to do with job losses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

The interview is up on the net here. Only seems to play properly in Internet Explorer and not in Firefox.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭casey jones

mike65 wrote: »
    Bet Kenny didn't ask him to justify why 3 got the "Rest of the Country" broadband deal

I didn't see the interview so I don't know if he asked him about the National "Broadband" Scheme. He would have given his stock answer based on his obsession with mobile broadband.

You can come across as a polished performer but when you get the big calls completely wrong it counts for nothing.

See the Broadband threads for more on this.

• Advertisement

Didn't bring up that we pay the highest line rental in the world either and given our current economic position, it would have benefit a lot of people to reduce line rental and increase our comepetitiveness for business.

He may have given stock answers but you can ask uncomfortable questions and make him look like he's trying to cover up the problems of the system. Of course you have to do research to be able to ask those questions.

Advertisement