Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GTX295 - Whats next

Options
  • 27-03-2009 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Afternoon people

I bought the gtx 295 the day it came out in anticipation of the new oepration flash point dragon rising and only realised now about a month on its not out for another two months.... so ive sold it on and settled for a 280 till its closer to the game being released... anyone hear of upcoming gfx releases?

Tks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Apparently there is a 4890 coming out but it wouldn't be much of an upgrade over the 280.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

There seems to be a mention of an x2 so give the 295 is actually two 260's and if one 4890 is better than one 280's should be quite a ncie card

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,678181/Ati-Radeon-HD-4890-and-Radeon-HD-4890-X2-Rumors-from-the-Cebit/News/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From early benches I've seen of the 4890 it's only a marginal improvement on the 1GB 4870, sort of like the 9800GTX vs GTX+ I suppose.

It would still be considerably slower then the GTX280 at higher resolutions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

was going to post about the 4890 :P

theres some benchmarks out for it now
    http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/ati-radeon-hd-4890-benchmarks-appear-slightly-faster-than-hd-4870-a-62474/

Dont take this as the word though, theres no proper official review out yet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's a single board variant of the 295, but there's no performance change with that. It's fairly dead till the DX11 cards at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Spear wrote: »
    It's fairly dead till the DX11 cards at the end of the year.

agreed im not touching a new gfx card till the 300 series or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Ya agree with that too...both Nvidia and ATI are just churning out refreshes at the moment to generate sales, perfect GPU processes (40nm) and to fill the gap until they can use DX11 as a selling point. Nvidia are particularily guilty of rebadging product names to confuse the hell out of people.

The 280 will be more than enough to tie you over until DX11. Saying that how long before DX11 games are actually available is anybodies guess.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

does it really matter? dx11 will work on vista, so my guesses are the difference between dx10 and dx11 are minimal, the same as dx10 and dx9 are nearly identical

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

DX10s selling point was not just that it was "better" then DC9. DX10 was rebuilt from the ground up and supposedly is a lot better for programmers to use. The real improvements in directX won't become evident for at least another year and a half. Compare DX11 to 12 and you will see improvements mainly related to texturing, for the time being it's all about getting the dx10+ capability out and making people understand how much better it will be to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I have a 4890 on order, due to arrive Monday/Tuesday this coming week.
    The 275 from Nvidia apparently was released to compete with it.

• Advertisement

Nehaxak wrote: »
    I have a 4890 on order, due to arrive Monday/Tuesday this coming week.
    The 275 from Nvidia apparently was released to compete with it.

Give us some benchmarks when you get the chance hey!

I've been looking it up a few sites but i dont seem to be able to find some constant benchmark results, they are varied :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I've seen 2, they seem to be fairly consistent when compared, and place it a noticeable bit faster then a 1Gb 4870. Which is a pretty good deal considering it costs 219 euro new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Give us some benchmarks when you get the chance hey!

I've been looking it up a few sites but i dont seem to be able to find some constant benchmark results, they are varied :confused:

I would if I could get my hands on decent drivers that fully recognise the card properly :p
    ATI released 9.4 catalyst the other day but all they've done is class the card as a 4800 series.
    Playing Farcry2 with everything on the highest possible setting @ 1920 x 1200 including 8 x AA - I'm getting an average 40 odd FPS.
    Drivers aren't great though at all, guess I'll just have to wait for ATI to release proper/decent drivers.

At least I can play GTA IV on 1920 x 1200 setting now with really nice graphics :) I upgraded from a 3850 so it's a big improvement for me.

I'll post my computer specs and stuff in the building and upgrading forum soon once I've finished, I had to upgrade the PSU and case along with the graphics card (well I didn't *have* too but I treated myself!).

Also got rid of Vista 64 and reinstalled XP, just sick to death of stuff not working right, crap driver support and FPS diving in games in Vista :mad: That plus I also bought a pro set of Philips AmBx speakers, the whole lot, lights, fans and rumble wrist pad - none of it worked in Vista but working perfect in XP now and enjoying the lighting effects especially in world of warcraft :D

Advertisement