Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Film Meet?

• 28-03-2009 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

I know everyones up to their eyes with the exhibition and all. Thought it might be fun to make the next meet a 'film' meet to coincide with resuging interest in film...might be a good idea to learn wherefilm's a better bet than digital - for instance, I only found out today that film tends to manage blow-outs alot better than digital. And it seems that everyone's going for Holgas these days too...

Anyways, just a thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

This is a good idea, everyone's posting about film these days. People who shoot film often have more than one camera, so I for one would be willing to bring along a few cameras for those who don't have one to try, maybe shoot a roll or two to bring home to get developed. I'd imagine we'd get a great variety of older cameras at a film meet, could be really interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I'd be up for that idea too, depending on the date,

I could bring along a few spare cameras for those who wanted to try film that day.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Simplicius wrote: »
    I'd be up for that idea too, depending on the date,

I could bring along a few spare cameras for those who wanted to try film that day.

I'll go if you bring your Vitessa Simpliicus! You got some beautiful photos with it by the way.

(But eh...doesn't know what 'a meet' is and what happens.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I have about 20 cameras from 4x5's to 110's. Even people without 120 could just bring in a few rolls to see what it's like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I'd be on for this..if I can find time off from looming exams! I have a few cameras but nowt too fancy. But it sounds like a brilliant idea, I'd love to see what gear everyone uses.

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    I'll go if you bring your Vitessa Simpliicus! You got some beautiful photos with it by the way.

(But eh...doesn't know what 'a meet' is and what happens.)

Thanks Humberklog, I will of course bring it along, have a few 120 super ikontas and some zany 35mm cameras : some I haven't event got around to test running yet. Repairing a Fujica ST1x i was kindly given by Jaqian from here.

I suppose a meet is a lunchtime in a pub somewhere on a Saturday that has something going on outside it, like Smithfield on Horse day, or somewhere near O'Connell Street or Stephens Green and literally get yer kit on the table time for others to fondle !! :eek:

Stick a film in a camera and go out and play with it for a while. could probably do a deal with others in quarters. 4 cameras, 4 films, quarter of shots on the roll each, each person gets on roll developed and CD' and emails results around. That would be ok for 35mm. Maybe a two way split on 120 rollfilm cameras and processing to CD.

Hand held meteres would be needed with lots of cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

I invite you all & your analogues to Wicklow town. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Love to join in on this one. I've a couple of 35 mils that I can play with and a couple of 120's that I'm dying to stick a roll into. A saturday pm sounds great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'd be on for this too. Got an order of film from 7dayshop recently and going to start trying to dev it myself soon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

plan.

• Advertisement

Well, if people wanted, we could make a right day of it. Start off shooting, and develop in the evening, so if people were interested in that end of it, they could be shown the ropes. We'd all have a chance to have a look at the images too.

I think if people just brought along a few rolls of 120 & 35mm, and just flew through each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

I hate the thought of meeting up with you people, reluctantly did it for the book launch at Christmas...

However, the thought of a film meet has me intrigued, consider me as a possible :)

duffarama wrote: »
    I hate the thought of meeting up with you people, reluctantly did it for the book launch at Christmas...

Can't blame you, we're all awful arseholes :pac:

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Can't blame you, we're all awful arseholes :pac:

That being the case you won't want another one there, so maybe I won't come along after all ;)

If I do I'll bring a spare OM10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Also quite nervous about the prospect of meeting you guys! Hrmmm. Might wear a fake moustache.

TelePaul wrote: »
    Also quite nervous about the prospect of meeting you guys! Hrmmm. Might wear a fake moustache.

We don't even have a time and/or place so plenty of time to get a costume together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Can we keep to just silly hats.

I looked through the thread, has a time and place been set yet ? City Centre suits me, Smithfield for a horesfair sounds good, plent to shoot round there down as far as Heuston, regattas at Islandbridge should also be soon.

The Smithfield idea sounds like a good one to me, not too hard for people to get to, any suggestions on a date?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Where's Smithfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Smithfield market, halfway along the luas line from Heuston to O'Connell St, about 100 M north of the River.

http://www.dublintourist.com/virtual_dublin/city_centre/smithfield_chimney.shtml

• Advertisement

Anything happening with this??

bumpety bump bump! anyone want to step forward and suggest a date?

Next Sunday (19th)?

I'm on gallery duty on Sat and will pick up my dev equipment from Gunns if they have it in stock.

Sunday eh...

I think I can make that no problem, although I'm having a house party Saturday so'll need time to clean up and will be hungover :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

This weekend would be perfect. I have a roll in my camera to finish off. I managed to squeeze 9 photos on Saturday so 27 to go.

Hard work Darren ;)

It's harder than you think!!

I struggle to finish a roll a week, with the expense of developing (for me anyway) I find that I won't take a picture unless I'm sure it's going to turn out well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I'll be there with you in spirit but will be in the UK ... I did, however, shoot one-and-a-half-rolls of 120 last Saturday on a fine day up the sand dunes in Brittas. I'll see how they worked out ... Hope there isn't too much sand on the neg ...

Speaking of which (and off topic), Darren, have you found anyone locally to clean your D300 sensor, mine's manky?

Hugh

I'll pop along too on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Are we agreed on Sunday? If so, time and place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Sunday would be luvley, only two day's to photogs is not a runner for me seeing as I'm doing a couple of hours on sat for the gallery at DCC, so if it's Sunday your looking at then I must bow out.

Sunday would be ok for me too -- so we need a location where there is loads on offer outside the windows -- Off O'Connell Street ? Grand Central on corner of Abbey street ?

Finish your film by 5.00 and drop it into fotocare

Disappointed I'll be missing this because I'm away, especially as a lovely Mamiya arrived in the post this morning, courtesy of ebay :) I'll definitely be at the next meet, if there is one!

OK, we have a day, we need a location.

I'm sick of O'Connell St, too busy and been there too much. Also just did the whole city hall dublin castle thing.

Suggestions so far:

Smithfield
    Somewhere on the Dart line (the actual journey on the dart would be part of the thing)
    Iveagh Gardens (a couple streets over from stephen's green for those who don't know it)
    Along the canal/rathmines
    Phoenix park

Any voters?

Phoenix Park or the DART line, pls :)

• Advertisement

Phoenix Park or the DART line, pls :)

+1 I think.

Of course I may not make it along :(

would we be limited in the Phoenix Park on foot? (there is always that bus they run around it I suppose). I love the park but have only ever driven around it. Have no idea how long it would take to walk to different parts..

Not against the park at all, I'd be happy to go there if that's what people want.

Personally favouring a trip on the dart, to howth or something. I think the batcamera would like that.

Howth could be lovely alright, I'm sure there are lots of nice side streets away from the harbour, then there is the harbour, there's a nice walk too up Howth head if people want that and then you can eat the best fish and chips ever in Beshoffs at the end of a fun filled day :)

We could go south too - I've not been to too many spots that way really.

L, you want to use the Diana, yeah? Anything else?

• Advertisement

We could go south too - I've not been to too many spots that way really.

L, you want to use the Diana, yeah? Anything else?

yep please, I'd love to shoot a roll through it if you're not using it. I think that will keep me happy for the moment. I'll bring my Canonet, show you the new seal job I did on it (which has yet to be tested out)!

Good stuff. If anyone else is interested in anything I might have, give me a PM, and I'll tell you what film to bring.

If we're going to Howth, I may be able to follow along, but I'll be along late.

If anyone wants to PM me a mobile number I can give ye a shout as to whether I'll be making it or not on the day.

I may bring a spare film camera, I can bring 2 OM's and a bunch of lenses but I have a desire to shoot my Contax G2 as it's suffering serious neglect. Plus, it's got a shutter sound that makes me want to keep clicking :pac:

duffarama wrote: »
    Plus, it's got a shutter sound that makes me want to keep clicking :pac:

Oh yes.

:p

where was it we got the 'ferry' to ireland's eye from? was that howth?

Yep! It was indeed!

Would it not be better to meet in the city and from there people can go whereever they want and meet back in the city for easy development. Phoenix park is bland photos (and it's n my doorstep), Howth...jayzuz seals and boats (never mind that I always end up a swooping target for giant gulls). In the city it gives everyone options to go where they want to. It takes a few minutes to get to either park or sea or indeed lets people take advantage of a few spots in the city. Spire my eye, ducks? eh no. But I had planned and sorted out an hour in a judo (or some martial art or other) studio and a hairy dodgey pub. Going to one place with limited views isn't very exciting. Trees, deers, seals, flowers can all be reasched from city and returned to city easier than vice versa.

I say to meat in Cleary's pub under the bridge on Annesley Bridge Rd. and from there there is Dart, Luas, busses and the whole of the city

Umm, there's a wee bit more than seals and boats in howth.

We wouldn't be meeting in howth itself either, we'd be meeting in the city centre to jump on the dart somewhere like tara street i'd have thought. If we just meet in teh city centre with no idea of a proper destination in mind, we'll faff about and waste time. Been there, done that, would rather go and actually take some pictures instead tbh.

If you get bland shots from a particular location, there's one person and one person only to blame...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Do they still do the 1 day pass for the DART? We could each buy one and start from Howth and work our way back. We should decide on somewhere today and not leave it to the last minute where we're heading.

Not sure if it's still running but Howth has an excellent Sunday market.

pretty sure that market still runs Darren.

No idea on 1 day passes, could sound like a plan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement