Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foreign nationals in Greystones and surrounding area

Options
  • 28-03-2009 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

hello , i wonder if there are any foreigners living in Greystones and surrounding area who would be interessted in setting up some sort of foreign communety centre?!:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Shouldn't be a problem, the place is full of them..

Try posting a note up in Lidl etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

does coming from bray count as being foreign!!????:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Why foreigners only? Why not an integrated community centre where everyone gets along and foreigners and Irish feel welcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kruk

Puck wrote: »
    Why foreigners only? Why not an integrated community centre where everyone gets along and foreigners and Irish feel welcome?

As a foreigner I need to say that's a great idea :) It's better to set up a centre for everyone than separate foreigners from Irish people. Let's show our cultures to Irish people and let's learn more about Irish culture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Kruk wrote: »
    As a foreigner I need to say that's a great idea :) It's better to set up a centre for everyone than separate foreigners from Irish people. Let's show our cultures to Irish people and let's learn more about Irish culture.

Absolutly, the more the merrier:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Puck wrote: »

Great idea, but it would help IMO if there were a better term to use than "foreigners" or "foreign nationals". This seems to mark them out as non-integrated from the start (even if they have been part of the greater community for years), and almost permanently so. In the USA, a country built by foeigners, the term used was always "immigrants". I might be wrong in thinking this term seems out of fashion nowadays, but it seems that way. Anyway, even if unfashionable, it at least indicates the idea that the person is committed to the country they have moved to. "Foreign national" sounds like someone here for a short stay on a special visa or something. It's hard to feel like you can integrate with the Irish community if you are thought of as a "foreigner" rather than an immigrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Before this goes too far I want to nip the pc remarks in the bud. The op is not Irish and based on my interactions with her in the past, I would be certain that her motives are not to offend. I believe her request to be genuine. If you only wish to comment on her turn of phrase, please don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Before this goes too far I want to nip the pc remarks in the bud. The op is not Irish and based on my interactions with her in the past, I would be certain that her motives are not to offend. I believe her request to be genuine. If you only wish to comment on her turn of phrase, please don't.

I was speaking as a "foreign national" myself, not the PC police, and about the use of this term in Ireland in general. I understood perfectly that the OP didn't mean to offend. Maybe this is the wrong thread or forum to make such a comment, so I'm sorry about that, but I can't see how it could possibly be off topic at a "community centre for foreign nationals (and Irish people)".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

MPC, it wasn't just aimed at you, but the person who decided to report the OP!

Anyway, enough. Back on topic now.

As someone who has worked in Leeds and is very aware of the large Irish community there as well as the amazing Irish center, I see no reason why if the OP wants to set up something similar here that she shouldn't be encouraged.

Advertisement