Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what's good about carlow?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭

this for positive comments only .

>plenty of shops, decent selection for most things
    >people are very friendly and welcoming
    >it has 2 colleges, one nearly a university
    >plenty of decent bars
    >only an hour to Dublin or Waterford
    >house prices are very good at present

feel free to add things but only postive as theres so much negativity out there at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It's beside Kilkenny :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

was having a look at tripadvisor there. Carlow doesn't even get a sniff...

Anyhow- as a blow in and off the top of my head:

Things I love about Carlow:

Magic places like Ducketts' Grove, Nine stones,Aghowle,Ballymoon castle, Haroldstown and Browneshill dolmen, the catherdal and holy well at Old Leighlin , The Barrow track from Milford to Leiglhinbridge,St Mullins.

A drink in Brennans on the Bridge in Leighlinbridge and a root through the "previously worn attire " in Sallyforth across the bridge. Nancy Forans pub in Tullow.

Oakpark, midges and all, Altamont ,Hardymount.

Following the last steps of Fr John Murphy from Ballon (where there is supposed to be a cure for sick animals in the stable where he spent the last night) to Tullow.

The lady in the Lord Bagnal , like a mammy, putting spuds or veg on the table with a mammy attitude ...dare to leave them!!

The little museum in Tullow.

At the risk of getting pelted by scallions :D it seems a lot of Carlow people don't see the county as a place full of great places to visit. Lots of the historical places I have been, Carlow friends either a) didn't ever visit or b) didn't know existed!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan tbh. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

A drink in Brennans on the Bridge in Leighlinbridge

My local! Love it, for such a small pub, you get a great range of people in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Some nice driving roads around the place if that sort of thing tickles your fancy. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

Slaney at Aghade.. What a fantastic place.
    Altamont Gardens
    Mount Leinster/Nine Stones/Corrabut Gap..seems some people regard this area as the local rubbish tip.. sorry for the negative... but as a positive maybe we could arrange an open season for fly tippers :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Git101 wrote: »
    Slaney at Aghade.. What a fantastic place.
    Altamont Gardens
    Mount Leinster/Nine Stones/Corrabut Gap..seems some people regard this area as the local rubbish tip.. sorry for the negative... but as a positive maybe we could arrange an open season for fly tippers :D
    or maybe open season ON flytippers

or maybe open season ON flytippers

I stand corrected :P
    I think that 1 day a year would be enough..... just don't tell them what day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Git101 wrote: »
    I stand corrected :P
    I think that 1 day a year would be enough..... just don't tell them what day :D
    Can't we all have 1 day each so long as they're different days?

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Can't we all have 1 day each so long as they're different days?

I like the way you're thinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

keep on topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

things good about carlow-
    the by-pass?

in seriousness i do love the surrounding countryside. used to send many a childhood summers day exploring ducketts grove, well before the even started doing it up. when it was a stables, god they had scary horses. like 10 foot high, not kidding!

also the stables in carlow are lovely, just not a fan of the one that used to be beside the gate into ducketts grove.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

Well i moved from Dublin a few years back and there is a lot more activities for my Kids than what they would of had in Dublin.
    My youngest Daughter plays for eire og,,you wouldnt see anything like that were i came from.
    My eldest is involved with music projects in school and outside.
    So im confident when my sons get older they will have something to keep them occupied,,,
    Its funny when i hear kids say there is nothing to do in carlow and if they only looked im sure they would find it:o

its true, but most of them are on the outside of the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭The Gish

Have to agree with Danny on this one.
    Carlow has a lot to offer if only the parents would get off of their back sides and look around.
    There are numerous football clubs in the town that cater for all age groups. Eire Og and O'Hanrahans both have good underage facilities.
    I think a lotof it is parents not wanting to bother their asses looking around and maybe getting involved in the clubs. (Thats my rant oiver for the day :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The County Jersey, its hilarious :D

aynon wrote: »
    also the stables in carlow are lovely, just not a fan of the one that used to be beside the gate into ducketts grove.
    The stables at Russellstown? Still there, ,hosts the highly successful Russellstown riding club, that twice hosted the AIRC national one day event at their cross country course. Members have also won titles at all levels and in all equestrian disciplines.

The stables at Russellstown? Still there, ,hosts the highly successful Russellstown riding club, that twice hosted the AIRC national one day event at their cross country course. Members have also won titles at all levels and in all equestrian disciplines.
    russellstown! not a big fan of it. think its filled with pounces.

russellstown! not a big fan of it. think its filled with pounces.
    Pounces?

ponces sorry,(ppl stuck up themselves.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ponces sorry,(ppl stuck up themselves.)

you mean a snob? a ponce is an effeminate man

a ponce is a d4 fecker.

can categorically state that there are no d4 feckers in Russellstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭country_gurl

i love the fact 50 mins from red cow and 65 from blanch and a little longer to the airport.
    i love oak park, really nice to walk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pobyrne2000

Ballon!!

im quiet parsall to rathvilly.

Advertisement