Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch 22 and its ilk

Options
  • 28-03-2009 1:01am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭

Can someone reccomend to me a book to follow up from Catch 22? I'm halfway through it and its unlike anything I've ever read before,a fantastic novel! Something from a similar vein. I'm not well acquainted with these black comedies/satires so any advice would be welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut is one that springs to mind. I think it is vastly superior to Catch 22. It's a weird mix of WW2, post war experience, sci-fi, time travel, mental illness and hallucination told in pretty black humour.

The thing that sticks in my mind is the Dresden firebombing, which was based on Vonnegut's actual experience as a POW in Dresden during the firestorm.

You cannot ignore this book if you like Catch 22.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭shotgun mike

Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut is one that springs to mind. I think it is vastly superior to Catch 22. It's a weird mix of WW2, post war experience, sci-fi, time travel, mental illness and hallucination told in pretty black humour.

The thing that sticks in my mind is the Dresden firebombing, which was based on Vonnegut's actual experience as a POW in Dresden during the firestorm.

Breakfast of champions, also by vonnegut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Denerick wrote: »
    Can someone reccomend to me a book to follow up from Catch 22? I'm halfway through it and its unlike anything I've ever read before,a fantastic novel! Something from a similar vein. I'm not well acquainted with these black comedies/satires so any advice would be welcome.

When I read something saying I've not done anything as good as "Catch-22" I'm tempted to reply, "Who has?" - Joseph Heller.

Have to say I agree, I have never come across anything similar that is as good:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I read Breakfast of Champions and really didn't like it. Is the above book similar in style?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I read Breakfast of Champions and really didn't like it. Is the above book similar in style?

I haven't read Breakfast of champions, so I can't really comment.

If someone else did, please tell us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Gerry81

a confederacy of dunces - john kennedy toole

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

RIP Kurt Vonnegut.

Try Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

There's a sequel to Catch 22 called Closing Time. I haven't read it so don't know if it's in the same style but I reckon it's the most logical thing to read as a follow-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

sceptre wrote: »
    There's a sequel to Catch 22 called Closing Time. I haven't read it so don't know if it's in the same style but I reckon it's the most logical thing to read as a follow-up.

not a bad book but disappointing in the context of Catch 22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Try The Magus!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i started to read catch 22 when i was younger, maybe 20, but couldnt seem to get into it at all and stopped. My sister was the same.

i must have a go at it again and see how i get on.

i just wikipedia'd slaughter house 5, sounds good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jbree

sceptre wrote: »

I've just finished Closing Time, was looking forward to it for a long time but was extremely disappointed, it's a pity because if it was Heller's first it would be a great read, but how do you follow up Cather 22? Probably impossible. Closing Time takes a lot of perseverance and is extremely difficult to read. It had a lot of funny Hellerisms, in fact the whole thing doesn't have a serious line in it, but it is hard, hard work.
    Would def reccommend Slaughterhouse 5, an exceptional novel, or anything by Vonnegut

Advertisement