Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Collecting dole in another country

• 28-03-2009 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Second thread in 5 minutes but this time a different question.
    I could be heading away to another country within the EU, recession has forced my hand. Is it possible to transfer your dole until you find a new job in the new country?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Pages/jajbfaq.aspx#q14

Good website this!\
    14. If I want to transfer my jobseeker's benefit to another country, what must I do?
    Go into your Social Welfare Local Office or Branch Office and ask to have your payment transferred
    A person in receipt of Irish JB for at least 4 weeks may transfer the JB claim to a country covered by EC Regulations for up to 13 weeks (78 days) if they register their intention to look for work abroad before they leave the State
    Payment will not be transferred if a person leaves without getting approval in advance from the social welfare office where they sign-on.

It's a simple enough process for the UK.
    While it should be equally as simple in EU countries I doubt many have done it.

I would say expect delays for months!
    When a straightforward claim can take months to process I'd can imagine something like this would take longer.
    Hope ya got savings to tide you over

Also you have to apply for the equivalent of a PPS number in the next country so that's another thing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Do Wan

cheers for the link,i'd be hoping to start work within 2 weeks of getting there so if theres huge delays it wouldnt be worth my while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

Do Wan wrote: »
    Second thread in 5 minutes but this time a different question.
    I could be heading away to another country within the EU, recession has forced my hand. Is it possible to transfer your dole until you find a new job in the new country?

Do some research, I know this was possible back in the early 90s when a few guys I know used to transfer their payments to one of the Greek isles! Ask at your local office I believe the set up is they used to transfer your Irish payments for a number of weeks to help people to go look for work elsewhere -great way to get the numbers signing down. Might be gone now but if not I believe payments are limited to 8-12 weeks.

Do Wan wrote: »
    cheers for the link,i'd be hoping to start work within 2 weeks of getting there so if theres huge delays it wouldnt be worth my while.

If it's only for two weeks there used to be a one off payment for people signing off the dole and emigrating -again maybe this doesn't exist anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

And there's a new "emigration tax"

10 euro on many flights :pac:

• Advertisement

mikemac wrote: »
    And there's a new "emigration tax"

10 euro on many flights :pac:

Lol if there was ever a reason to repeal this -the government don't want any breaks on people leaving:D Man this thread feels like a step back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spanishlady

hola from Sunny Spain I know a lot of people who do this just tell the dole office that you are going abroad to look for work and your money will be transfered I think they pay monthly in Spain:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Heineken Helen

I moved to England and did this. Obviously cos the Irish dole is much bigger... I was able to transfer for 11 weeks but it took a couple of weeks to get any money here... about 5. They told me to let them know a week before moving and they gave me a form to hand in over here. Of course when I got here they pretended they'd no idea what the form was and tried to just give me the English dole so be prepared for a few 'interviews' and have plenty of paperwork to back everything up. You'll still need everything you needed for your initial claim in Ireland. But the answer is yes, you can and should do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jumping jac

Im in australia and have been here for the last 18yrs befoer I left the uk I wa in work all my life from the age of 15 to 38 when i left things in oz have gone really bad with work and becase I won't give up my english citizenship and become an australian citizen I cannot collect any benifits at all inculding doctors or the like has do's anyone know if i can collet the uk dole from here or any idea on which way is best to box it
    jac"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭albert-bundy

they are the experts at this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

You can only transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit (not JA) and it will be paid at Irish rates for 6 weeks. You will need to give at least 2 weeks notice to your Social Welfare office in order to get it all sorted out in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

uoluol wrote: »
    You can only transfer your Jobseeker's Benefit (not JA) and it will be paid at Irish rates for 6 weeks. You will need to give at least 2 weeks notice to your Social Welfare office in order to get it all sorted out in time.

Whats the difference between Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Alloance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

PH4T wrote: »
    Whats the difference between Jobseeker's Benefit and Jobseeker's Alloance?

jobseekers allowance is means tested where jsb is where you are using up your stamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Ok, since we have had two budgets since this thread was created, the information contained may be out-of-date. I am therefore closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement