Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian girl burned alive in honour killing

Options
  • 28-03-2009 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/World/eyaumhsnojcw/rss2/
    A teenager was burned to death at her home in India in an “honour killing” by neighbours.

Four residents of her village in Ghaziabad, north India, allegedly set the 16-year-old Muslim girl alight after they suspected her of having a relationship with a boy.

Police claim residents kept a vigil on her house as they noticed the boy visited her frequently when her father was away. The four men then beat her, doused her with kerosene and set her on fire.

District police chief Akhil Kumar said: “The four men came to the girl’s house and demanded to know why the young man frequently visited her. The girl’s younger sister, who felt the visitors were getting violent, ran out of the house.

“Meanwhile, the accused beat up the girl and then set her on fire with kerosene oil.”

She gave a dying statement to the police saying the accused beat her and set her on fire.

Vijay Singh, station officer at Bhojpur police station in Ghaziabad, said: “The girl has succumbed to her injuries. We have been looking for the four men accused in this case. One of them has been caught and charged with murder.”
    This disgraceful case highlights the barbaric conditions that prevade some countries, with honour killings and the lack of marshmellows being a factor in daily life.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

The sparks gone out of the relationship then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Horrible story, the poor girl:(....but should Vijay not focus a bit more on the golf. Masters is coming up in a couple of weeks & dealing with stuff like this can't be helping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

the lack of marshmellows being a factor in daily life.

serious problem going on there. Tough times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

mikemac wrote: »
    Instead acid was splashed on their face so they'd permanently scarred and would have to show their "shame"

Don't they wear hijabs? Christ, you'd think they'd be able to punish properly for barbarians...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Only girl flambe? No weeny roast too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I seen this guy differentiate between our "civilised" culture and the "barbaric" cultures of developing countries. Well... it made me think... we are not, in any way, civilised. ;) E.G. Temple bar, between 1 and 4 on a friday or saturday night. Girl in mini skirt lying down, for all to see her bits, in her own vomit. Civilised? Not really. Not comparing this to a death or anything, but it would make one think...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

This disgraceful case highlights the barbaric conditions that prevade some countries, with honour killings and the lack of marshmellows being a factor in daily life.
    Taken from OP.

Vijay Singh, station officer at Bhojpur police station in Ghaziabad.

My money is on Vijay Singe.
    It was an albatross around her neck from the start.
    /a little birdie told me..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I seen this guy differentiate between our "civilised" culture and the "barbaric" cultures of developing countries. Well... it made me think... we are not, in any way, civilised. ;) E.G. Temple bar, between 1 and 4 on a friday or saturday night. Girl in mini skirt lying down, for all to see her bits, in her own vomit. Civilised? Not really. Not comparing this to a death or anything, but it would make one think...
    And yet, I know which I want to live in.

It was an albatross around her neck from the start.
    /a little birdie told me..

Alright, we get it. There's no need to crow on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

“Meanwhile, the accused beat up the girl and then set her on fire with kerosene oil.”

Fundamentalism - SERIOUS BUSINESS.

• Advertisement

Fundamentalism - SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Well, oil is very valuable in that part of the world. It's best not to waste it on less than worthy causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Obviously its a very different culture in India, but i hope their punishment methods are very different to our too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

HAWT!!

sorry....

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

ffs like what the hell ?

Tyranax wrote: »
    Alright, we get it. There's no need to crow on about it.
    No need to putt it like that tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aditya gupta

hi

I am Indian living here in Ireland. My friend showed me this website. I just want to say this is not common in India, as muslims only make up about 10% of the population. We are around 80% hindu.

- Aditya

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

No need to putt it like that tbh.

That pun was sub-par

<_<
    >_>

Could you not have said under par?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

No, it doesnt work like that

It does.
    Different strokes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

It does.
    Different strokes?

Damn. I really wish i could thank posts on boards mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

hi

I am Indian living here in Ireland. My friend showed me this website. I just want to say this is not common in India, as muslims only make up about 10% of the population. We are around 80% hindu.

- Aditya

Honour killings are strictly a Muslim thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd think "honour killings" are just Muslims, heard of it happening all over Europe too in Muslim families. Pretty much always males in the family killing a teen daughter for seeing the "wrong" boy.

In India sometimes women are burned if their parents didn't pay enough dowry when the girl got married. This is often called a"kitchen accident", in 99% of these "kitchen accidents" a woman is murdered. 4000 women are burned every year
    http://www.gymnasium-spaichingen.de/bili/india/women-india.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_burning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

hi

- Aditya

Each and every group has their own. In India there is a serious problem with the Sri Ram Sena (SRS) who have been engaging in attacking women in bars for engaging in Western culture, and want to restore India to true "Hinduness". This isn't just an Islamic problem, this happens all over the world with different groups.

In Uganda for example they have "The Lord's Resistance Army" a group which want to impose the Ten Commandments on the entire population, yet kill, rape and pillage wherever they can. It's appalling.

People must stand up to these distortionists, and tell them that they are not being true to the Bible, Qur'an, Tanakh, the Vedas and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,356 ✭✭✭positron

Magnus wrote: »
    In India sometimes women are burned if their parents didn't pay enough dowry when the girl got married. This is often called a"kitchen accident", in 99% of these "kitchen accidents" a woman is murdered. 4000 women are burned every year
    http://www.gymnasium-spaichingen.de/bili/india/women-india.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bride_burning

The dowry related killings is really a 80's or early 90's thing - I don't think its really happening any more.. having said that when you are talking 'India', you are refering to more than a billion people - I am sure you find all sorts of lunatics there..!

And oh, your first link is someone's 8th grade school project! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Magnus wrote: »
    I'd think "honour killings" are just Muslims,

Nope, Sikhs, Hindus, and certain christian parts of Eastern Europe....Its a feature of patriarchal societies.

Widows in Hindu society are treated horrendously, for instance. They used burn them with the Husbands body.
    http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/07/05/damon.india.widows/index.html

Then theres being forced into "sacred" prostitution, gang rape of lower caste women by upper caste men....

Suffice to say the lower you go down the economic development tree, the harsher it gets, generally speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

positron wrote: »
    The dowry related killings is really a 80's or early 90's thing - I don't think its really happening any more.. having said that when you are talking 'India', you are refering to more than a billion people - I am sure you find all sorts of lunatics there..!

And oh, your first link is someone's 8th grade school project! :D

So? They are Germans ;) Study is from 2004/5.
    The disclaimer: Alle Beschreibungen und Informationen wurden mit Sorgfalt zusammengetragen und niedergeschrieben, trotzdem kann eine Korrektheit oder Fehlerfreiheit keinesfalls garantiert werden.

I'm just glad I'm not Indian, and particularly a poor Indian or even worse an Indian woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

It does.
    Different strokes?

Tee hee!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Man, this thread is so random and edgy. :rolleyes:

But I dont think were quite there yet, maybe you could all try harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

Well it makes one think that while the Temple Bar thing is disgusting, these girls showing their bits while lying in their vomit are indeed very civilised - when compared with these murderous barbarians of this poor girl in India.
    I'd rather raise my children in the middle of Temple Bar than set foot in a place where people readily murder their children to keep up some twisted honour code. I'll take my chances here any day.

Advertisement