Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Griffith Cork FE-1 prep course

• 28-03-2009 3:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

Anyone attend this course, i heard its done on DVD thats been sent down from dublin from the previous weeks class! That cant be good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone attend this course, i heard its done on DVD thats been sent down from dublin from the previous weeks class! That cant be good?
    Yes, I believe that is true. Honestly, you're better off finding a cheap place in Dublin for the 2 months and going to Independent Colleges.
    Griffith was a good college a few years ago, but Lecturer quality has gone down.
    Only thing I'll say about Griffith is you just can't beat Langwallner for constitution - but I'm not even sure if he lectures it for the FE-1 prep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windofchange

I'd call ****e on this. I "went" there this time around. I use "went" in inverted commas because like you, I'm from the real capital and all the lectures were online, not just on DVD. I could have gone to the hotel where the DVD was shown, but I just watched them online every night they were on in Dublin. They were usually up within a few minutes of being done in Dublin. I just hooked the laptop up to the flatscreen, and bob was my uncle.

I dunno about "quality of lectures" going down. The equity lecturer pretty much predicted the entire paper which I am f'n delighted about and the other subjects I did were really well done.

And Langwallner did teach constitutional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ireland1italy0

OisinT wrote: »
    Yes, I believe that is true. Honestly, you're better off finding a cheap place in Dublin for the 2 months and going to Independent Colleges.
    Griffith was a good college a few years ago, but Lecturer quality has gone down.
    Only thing I'll say about Griffith is you just can't beat Langwallner for constitution - but I'm not even sure if he lectures it for the FE-1 prep.

agreed with above post...this is not correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'd call ****e on this. I "went" there this time around. I use "went" in inverted commas because like you, I'm from the real capital and all the lectures were online, not just on DVD. I could have gone to the hotel where the DVD was shown, but I just watched them online every night they were on in Dublin. They were usually up within a few minutes of being done in Dublin. I just hooked the laptop up to the flatscreen, and bob was my uncle.

I dunno about "quality of lectures" going down. The equity lecturer pretty much predicted the entire paper which I am f'n delighted about and the other subjects I did were really well done.

And Langwallner did teach constitutional.
    The equity lecturer who I believe now works in Independent also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windofchange

OisinT wrote: »
    The equity lecturer who I believe now works in Independent also.

Nope. Ross Aylward...i.e. the person who took the Course from November onwards is the person who I am talking about when I said the above. His lectures were what I went to and it was him who made the predictions I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Ross is the Family lecuturer in GCD also, hes BRILLIANT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fimac777

I did 5 subjects by distance with Griffith....no need to travel, no parking, lectures were posted mostly immediately after they were given in Dublin. Some handouts were not posted on moodle immediately, but were sorted out within a day or two. Would recommend opting for the distance course. I thought the lecturers in all 5 subjects were v good, and their predictions were fairly accurate. Have to say though, the manuals are shambolic. they're full of typos and inaccuracies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭McCrack

Guess What the cynic in me tells me you are somehow behind this "Comprehensive Course" place. Reading all your three posts thus far (2 other on the Legal Discussion forum) indicates this.

McCrack wrote: »
    Guess What the cynic in me tells me you are somehow behind this "Comprehensive Course" place. Reading all your three posts thus far (2 other on the Legal Discussion forum) indicates this.

Ha! I just said the same thing in another thread...there's other gas "guess what" posts around.

Which brought to me to the following realisation: the only threads which I get updates from boards for (aside from digital TV) are fe1 related. Which tells me my life has been dominated by (a) fe1s and (b) trying to get NTL to get me digital for over two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

The classroom in Griffith was nearly empty all the time. On the rare occasions I went in to watch the dvd's there was about 1 other person there. I never felt welcome to be around the college either. When I went to the library or the office to ask about things I was always made to feel like such an inconvenience. They make so much money off FE1 students but would much prefer us to watch the dvd's online at home.

Edited to add: The 2 hour lectures are ridiculous, it's impossibe to concentrate for that long. There is no break built into the dvd's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Guess What has been permanently banned for shilling.

sunnyside wrote: »
    The classroom in Griffith was nearly empty all the time. On the rare occasions I went in to watch the dvd's there was about 1 other person there. I never felt welcome to be around the college either. When I went to the library or the office to ask about things I was always made to feel like such an inconvenience. They make so much money off FE1 students but would much prefer us to watch the dvd's online at home.

Edited to add: The 2 hour lectures are ridiculous, it's impossibe to concentrate for that long. There is no break built into the dvd's.

Not my experience. I saw an earlier post of yours on this - you're talking about Cork here?

Re 2 hour lectures and being impossible to concentrate. You know court sits for two hours at a time? That's a bit of a mad complaint to be making.

Dav wrote: »
    Guess What has been permanently banned for shilling.

Can you sort my NTL? :D

Not my experience. I saw an earlier post of yours on this - you're talking about Cork here?

Re 2 hour lectures and being impossible to concentrate. You know court sits for two hours at a time? That's a bit of a mad complaint to be making.

Yes, Cork. I really don't want to give them any more money.

I only ever had 1 hour lectures in college. I find the 2 hours difficult in some subjects because law is new to me and there is a lot of information to take in. In the live lectures in Dublin they take a break for 10-15 minutes, I think that would help. The break is probably cut out of the dvd's so that the lectures are over earlier. It makes sense but I'd like a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fimac777

I rang the Law Society, and results are expected out in early June. Assuming I pass them (!), what courses are recommended for constitution. contract and tort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Ashlinggnilsia

I no that Griffith have a course running at the moment from June til September but does anyone know when the next course is being run? I had a look on their website but I couldnt see when then next course if scheduled for and when you go onto it to apply it brings up the forms for June-Sept which obviously is impossible to apply for!

If anyone can't find an apprenticeship I advise going onto Facebook and befriending Revolutionise the LawSociety or Brid Heffernan or emailing apprentice@bridheffernan.com. They are trying to organise a group of graduates to lobby the Law Soc to change the requirements for getting into Blackhall! or call 0851705555.

Is there a twitter page? I don't use facebook, thanks.
    I no that Griffith have a course running at the moment from June til September but does anyone know when the next course is being run? I had a look on their website but I couldnt see when then next course if scheduled for and when you go onto it to apply it brings up the forms for June-Sept which obviously is impossible to apply for!

Around the middle of November. I think you could still apply for the June-Sept course but you would have to watch the lectures online.

Around the middle of November. I think you could still apply for the June-Sept course but you would have to watch the lectures online.[/quote]

Ah right I getcha... I thought the next ones would be sometime after january.... im in college until the end of december doing the last semester of my course and that semesters results depends on what sort of degree I will get so i wouldnt fancy doing the course in the middle of all that but from Feb on i will be on work experience and would love to do em them.... I just thought they did them twice a year ya see once in Oct and once in the spring.

This may be the wrong persumption but they give you all the manuals with the course aswel dont they? I was thinking of doing the online one aswell because I live in Tipp and want to do my work experience here and twud be a gud but of hassle driving up and back to cork or waterford! Has anyone done the online prep course? and would anyone say it would be better to go to cork or waterford than doing it yourself at home?

Around the middle of November. I think you could still apply for the June-Sept course but you would have to watch the lectures online.

I just thought they did them twice a year ya see once in Oct and once in the spring.

This may be the wrong persumption but they give you all the manuals with the course aswel dont they? I was thinking of doing the online one aswell because I live in Tipp and want to do my work experience here and twud be a gud but of hassle driving up and back to cork or waterford! Has anyone done the online prep course? and would anyone say it would be better to go to cork or waterford than doing it yourself at home?[/QUOTE]

The June-Sept course is for the Oct exams.
    The Nov-March course is for the April exams.
    So it is twice a year.

Yes they give you all the manuals.

The online course is the exact same as the Cork/Waterford one. The Cork/Waterford classes don't have a teacher. Students sit in a classroom and watch a dvd of the Dublin lecture. Exact same as you would do at home with the online version.

Jaysus right ok thanks for that!! Id say id do the first one but might have to put off the second one!! hmmm..... now im all confused!! Not by you i confuse myself sometime thanks for that!!!

• Advertisement

They offer a free repeat so if you registered for the Nov-March course but didn't manage to do the exams you could repeat for free in the June-Sept course so it wouldn't cost you anything extra.

Well ive just decided that i want to do the Nov-March Prep Course....Next Problem Tryin to get the funds... Plus on top of that say if i do four then and want to sit four in april that are 110 each its close to two grand....Better start saving :D Thanks so much for all your help!! Im all excited now!! Cheers

Well ive just decided that i want to do the Nov-March Prep Course....Next Problem Tryin to get the funds... Plus on top of that say if i do four then and want to sit four in april that are 110 each its close to two grand....Better start saving :D Thanks so much for all your help!! Im all excited now!! Cheers

I worry constantly about what I'm spending on this. Some days I feel like it's nothing more than an expensive hobby the way jobs are at the moment. Any more questions just ask or pm:)

Advertisement