Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Function Room of Some Sort

• 28-03-2009 4:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Right we all know that in this day and age a wedding is really unbelieveably expensive,recession doesnt help things either.What im looking for is ideas for some sort of a function room around waterford that has a kitchen and could cater for about 120-150 people for a meal. I am trying to stay away from hotels etc because i think thats the reason why it is so expensive. Some one suggested checking out the Rhu Glen but i dont know what the story is with that place.Any suggestions?
    Oh and before i go any further-Adyx and Big-Slick-Poker its not for me:pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Try Rugby and GAA clubs - I doubt it'd fit that many, but we used Waterpark Rugby Club's clubhouse before, and it worked perfect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Anon0000 wrote: »
    Right we all know that in this day and age a wedding is really unbelieveably expensive,recession doesnt help things either.What im looking for is ideas for some sort of a function room around waterford that has a kitchen and could cater for about 120-150 people for a meal. I am trying to stay away from hotels etc because i think thats the reason why it is so expensive. Some one suggested checking out the Rhu Glen but i dont know what the story is with that place.Any suggestions?

Try the Forum. The Divine restaurant down stairs is closed at the moment so would be available. Great spot with stage and new kitchens. No problem getting availibility.
    PM me if you like and I will put you in touch with someone who can look after you.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

My Cousin used the Rhu Glenn for her wedding a few years ago and I can't remember there being any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anon0000 wrote: »

:rolleyes: Eh no kitchen remember!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore any use or city only?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Try Rugby and GAA clubs - I doubt it'd fit that many, but we used Waterpark Rugby Club's clubhouse before, and it worked perfect.
    For a wedding? The only way I can see that going down well is if the family are all rugby nuts.

OP, I wouldn't rule out the hotels just yet. They're all competing for the business now and you could probably get substantial discounts off initial quotes if you try hard enough. At a guess, a 5 course meal for 150 people would set you back maybe €6000 with afters food costing about €500. Bands range from €1000 to €8000 :).

A cheap wedding, in a great venue, can be done :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

AdMMM wrote: »
    OP, I wouldn't rule out the hotels just yet. They're all competing for the business now and you could probably get substantial discounts off initial quotes if you try hard enough. At a guess, a 5 course meal for 150 people would set you back maybe €6000 with afters food costing about €1000. Bands range from €1000 to €8000 :).

A cheap wedding, in a great venue, can be done :)

Agree with Adam here. A lot of hotels are crying out for business. I would try them again and see how they react this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Upstairs in Becketts on the Dunmore Road, very private, plenty room etc
    Upstairs in Oskars - kinda private
    The Crannog - small enough- not sure about a kitchen tho
    Katie Reillys - private and has a kitchen
    Butler Community centre - has a kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Don't rule out hotels - we had our reception in the Tower hotel a few years ago: we specified it was not a traditional "big flouncy wedding", to look on it more as a family reunion/get-together type booking as it was a civil ceremony we had and wanted a similarly informal reception (we booked one of the smaller function rooms as we only had around 70 people attending, I realise you have a much bigger invite list though) and hey presto - no outrageous "weddingpackage" prices charged. Very reasonable actually.

I am betting that if you are willing to haggle a bit, many of the hotels will bite the hand and all off you given that they're doing so badly at the moment.

Becketts have done wedding receptions in the past, BTW. Seemed to go over well from what I heard. I attended a wedding in the Rhu Glenn before, and it was all hunky dory there too.:) Good luck with the planning!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

Mount sion centre is a good choice it can hold up to 250 in the function room downstairs and a lounge upstairs whch holds 100. Downstairs also has a kitchen. Pm me if ya need any more info on the place

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 cityboi

hi - i work in revolution --
    the boss is building a function room behind the bar to cater for parties
    he has one wedding booked for june already ----
    plans look good
    give him a call if u interested -
    or i can get details for ya -pvt me

Advertisement