Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a new PC with your original hard drive?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 7:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭

I recently done some upgrades and my pc is working well thanks to some great advice on this forum, but Im looking towards the future and was wondering about building a top-spec PC. I was thinking of buying one component at a time as cash is a bit tight at the moment and my main question is this, if after I have all my new components together in one bundle can I install the hard-drive of my present PC with the OS and all my programmes on it and basically just switch it on and have it start up as if I were still using my present PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

kingaaa wrote: »
    I recently done some upgrades and my pc is working well thanks to some great advice on this forum, but Im looking towards the future and was wondering about building a top-spec PC. I was thinking of buying one component at a time as cash is a bit tight at the moment and my main question is this, if after I have all my new components together in one bundle can I install the hard-drive of my present PC with the OS and all my programmes on it and basically just switch it on and have it start up as if I were still using my present PC?

If you have vista it will work. I installed it a few times and it worked fine. Sometimes it needed a few drivers but that was it. When I used a different brand motherboard (old one which was not really vista ready) I had some problems. But When I used the same brand ones (gigabyte) no problems what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

If you have vista it will work. I installed it a few times and it worked fine. Sometimes it needed a few drivers but that was it. When I used a different brand motherboard (old one which was not really vista ready) I had some problems. But When I used the same brand ones (gigabyte) no problems what so ever.

I have XP installed, and to be quite honest I'd like to keep it that way.It for the home pc, we have 3 laptops running vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

No with XP you cant do it because of the registery and drivers. Just backup everything you need onto dvd's usb keys or even an external hard drive. You wil need a fresh install of xp for a new pc.

Advertisement