Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working 7 consectutive days

Options
  • 28-03-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello all,
    As the post title suggests I want to know if my employer can make me work this?

Background:
    1.my employer is multi national, pays us a monthly salary, and pretty much demands shift work of us.

2. employees dont get paid any extra like double time or time and half for weekends :(

3. generally if you work FT you are not supposed to do more than 2 weekends a month, but this not a "rule" and generally some people, who work FT, do alot more weekends than other FT workers! (ie there appears to be alot of favouritism in allocation of shifts......)

4. the schedules you work, Ie the shifts, are only sent out about 2 weeks before you are due to work them, so most of the time you are too late to apply for a Holiday if you need weekend off! (have to give two weeks notice for holidays....)

anyho, my question is ....
    Im due to work a weekend in next 2 weeks, I have been scheduled to work a weekend (early shift Saturday/late shift Sunday : 2 days) and then Im straight into to work Mon to Fri of the following week (:5 days of late shift)

Can i refuse to do this and request a new sechedule with a day off to Break up the 7 consectutive days work??

sorry if i took too long to explain all and thanks for any replies that come!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

They can legally ask you to work 7 days in a row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭donegal lass 4

okay thanks for your reply, guess i just wanted to know where i stood before i go to Team leader about this, Im still going to ask not to do it, just hope they are understanding!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

They can make you work 7 days under certain circumstances, but you have to check your work hours for the following:

1) you have to have a 24 hour rest period in every 7 day period. This can be deferred once, but in this case you have to have a 48 hour rest period in the following 7 day period.
    2) you have to have a 11 hour rest period between your shifts. This one cannot be deferred.

So dependent on how your working time around the week looks, it can or cannot be legal.

For more look here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

mdebets wrote: »
    They can make you work 7 days under certain circumstances, but you have to check your work hours for the following:

1) you have to have a 24 hour rest period in every 7 day period. This can be deferred once, but in this case you have to have a 48 hour rest period in the following 7 day period.
    2) you have to have a 11 hour rest period between your shifts. This one cannot be deferred.

So dependent on how your working time around the week looks, it can or cannot be legal.

For more look here

Was just going to ask.

Are you off any time between Mon and Fri preceeding your Sat and sunday shift?

just like to thank all those that replied, got this problem sorted (kind of!) they have reduced it down to 6 days.....which is fine, at least i wont have the tiredness associated with 7 days, as as i was reminded by the management which i brought the 7 days to their attention...im lucky to have a job!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

just like to thank all those that replied, got this problem sorted (kind of!) they have reduced it down to 6 days.....which is fine, at least i wont have the tiredness associated with 7 days, as as i was reminded by the management which i brought the 7 days to their attention...im lucky to have a job!!

Is this line "you are lucky to have a job"ment to be a threath by employers if we dont do as they ask,so many employers are taking advantage of their workers now and getting away with it, as workers are afraid of loosing their jobs.Can they get away with this now where as before there was laws to back the worker,there is a lot more bullying going on lately,where can someone turn,without being afraid of being fired!!!!

hi all,well im currently on day 2 of my 7 days! raging though,they have gone and scheduled again in another 2 weeks! its like because i accepted it the first time as one off. . . sick of the times we live in and some employers using it as excuse for things like this! in my previous 6months it was never necessary! frustrated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

did your TL say you were lucky to have a job ?
    and is it for 6 days in 2 weeks ?

there's limit on that as well i think ( i.e days in a month worked or somma likt that )

ive have seen a few other posts of a similar vain(even one thread that i suspect was from a fellow employee where i work!),doubt ill have much sucess this time,last time i said i didnt want to work 7 days in a row,i was told to lump it,doubt policy has changed much in 2 weeks, i just like to vent frustrations here! its just tiring physically and more important to me,mentally! its like they want unhappy employees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

mdebets wrote: »
    2) you have to have a 11 hour rest period between your shifts. This one cannot be deferred

if you work in a hotel especailly on reception theres a rule about back to back shifts ie finishing at 11.30 and being back at 7.00 being allowed under law. either that or the two ive worked in and the other ones my 2 friends are working in are all breaking the law

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Does the 24 hour break still apply if you work Thursday-Wednesday since it still fits my company's policy of no more than 5 days a week? Does it matter if I'm part-time so only 3 of those days are shifts longer than 5 hours? It adds up to about 39 hours.

Advertisement