Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DynDns and static ip address

Options
  • 28-03-2009 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Hi I am looking for some help with creating a static ip address. Let me start off by saying that my knowledge on this subject is very limited. Basically I need a static ip address. From searching the net I see that most of the providers dont give one out unless you are a business package. I have my phone broadband package with BT.

I came upon this site DynDNS.com and they offer a free service. I have created my host name and used the auto detect ip address. Do I have to set up the mail routing or can I just continue to click on the mail icon like normally from the top of my browser page?

Also I see I have to install an update client which I assumes passes on my new ip address so it can be associated with my host name. So am I right in saying if I want to give my ip address to someone I just give them my host name i.e xxxx.homelinux.org or how does it work? Sorry if my questions seem dumb but this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

pissed wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for some help with creating a static ip address. Let me start off by saying that my knowledge on this subject is very limited. Basically I need a static ip address. From searching the net I see that most of the providers dont give one out unless you are a business package. I have my phone broadband package with BT.

I came upon this site DynDNS.com and they offer a free service. I have created my host name and used the auto detect ip address. Do I have to set up the mail routing or can I just continue to click on the mail icon like normally from the top of my browser page?

Also I see I have to install an update client which I assumes passes on my new ip address so it can be associated with my host name. So am I right in saying if I want to give my ip address to someone I just give them my host name i.e xxxx.homelinux.org or how does it work? Sorry if my questions seem dumb but this is all new to me.

Thanks in advance.

I have this service setup for testing and stuff.
    Basically to deliver mail you need to have an MX record configured to point to the dyndns hostname that you are using.

Just configure your MX record to point to your domain in your DNS control panel on dyndns.org (assuming you are using the "paid for" service - if your not, its worth every penny).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Hi thanks for the reply, as I said its all sort of double dutch to me. I will try and explain myself better. If I leave it without configuring the mail side will I still be able to send my email as per normal out through BT's mail server and receive my emails in through Eircoms mail server. Or do I have to configure both my incoming and outgoing (BT's and Eircom's) through this new DynDNS servers mail settings?

Again sorry if it seems a silly question.

pissed wrote: »
    Hi thanks for the reply, as I said its all sort of double dutch to me. I will try and explain myself better. If I leave it without configuring the mail side will I still be able to send my email as per normal out through BT's mail server and receive my emails in through Eircoms mail server. Or do I have to configure both my incoming and outgoing (BT's and Eircom's) through this new DynDNS servers mail settings?

Again sorry if it seems a silly question.

You only need to setup MX records if you are running your own mail server. It will not effect your access to mail servers such as Eircom or BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Thats fine, thanks for all your help much appreciated.

No problem :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement