Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electrics in hot press?

Options
  • 28-03-2009 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

building a house at the moment, at firts fix stage, i have a large downstairs hotpress (block walls) (1.5 x 3m) can I locate my fusebox in this room, my hotwater tank will also be here.....?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Was told recently by an electrician that the current regulations prohibit location of electrical equipment in a hot press (with the exception of heating system controls). This is because of the additional fire risk associated with storage of very dry clothes and towels etc in a warm location.

He refused to put an alarm panel in the hotpress, so I'm pretty sure putting the comsumer unit in there would not be allowed either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 iremankk

Thanks Pete..... electrician has ran all cables back to hotpress, it was the plumber that questioned whether it was allowed or not..... fortunatly plenty of slack to relocate consumer unit if necessary, anyone got good link to building / electrical regs onliine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

you can't have electrics like that in a hotpress, alarm panels, fuseboards and even the immersion switch are all best located outside it. It will still hot in there and it is the additional heat and the clothes that are the problem as it's a potential fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

Fuseboards are not allowed in any form of cupboard. They are supposed to be easily located in the case of an emergency. Hallway or utility room are popular also the cable to the fuseboard from the meter cabinet/meter is about 10 euro per metre, so maybe you should consider this if you are supplying materials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 iremankk

Thanks for the feedback guys.... will relocate to utility (adjacent).
    Just a thought though, with all the super insulation on hot water tanks etc these days, are hotpresses a thing of the past anyway? more of a clothes storage cupbard?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I suppose that true for new builds/installations but regs will always take the safer option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

iremankk wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback guys.... will relocate to utility (adjacent).
    Just a thought though, with all the super insulation on hot water tanks etc these days, are hotpresses a thing of the past anyway? more of a clothes storage cupbard?...

True .the risk is reduced in large well -insulated hotpresses .less heat /more space for equipment but still not a preferred location

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mark_d_spark

just checked my regs there. Regulation 538.1.3 "a distribution board shall not be located - over a cooking or heating appliance
    in a bathroom, washroom
    in a location which is not readily accesible"

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭paddymick

sparkzter wrote: »
    the cable to the fuseboard from the meter cabinet/meter is about 10 euro per metre, so maybe you should consider this if you are supplying materials.

I think your being robbed with your cable i am buying 16sq T+E for €4.04per/m and i think its actually come down now again.
    As for the hotpress i recently ask the Ecssa instector about having electrical gear in the hotpress and he said you shouldn`t even have the immersion switch in there unless there is absolutly no other option as for the C/U thats a big no no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

paddymick
    As for the hotpress i recently ask the Ecssa instector about having electrical gear in the hotpress and he said you shouldn`t even have the immersion switch in there unless there is absolutly no other option
    You are allowed to have electrical equipment in there that is associated with the plumbing such as: the shower pump there with its spur outlet, electric zone valves, the underfloor heating manifold with its actuated valves and its control unit.

paddymick
    there is absolutly no other option as for the C/U thats a big no no.
    Exactly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement