Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Rsaeire wrote: »
    Sam Vimes has an application called Cabbage that you can download to your handset and enables you to use your free webtexts over GPRS/3G. If you chose to go with O2, you could then use their 250 free international texts from your handset. As you said this is one of your biggest expenses, this may save you some money.

your cheque is in the post :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    your cheque is in the post :P

Well, trying to save the OP money is what we're all here for. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Well, trying to save the OP money is what we're all here for. ;)

even me;)

roll on 2, Sam has me all fired up, can't wait to go out and tackle the world..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If you chose to go with O2, you could then use their 250 free international texts from your handset. As you said this is one of your biggest expenses, this may save you some money.

thats who am with, but not always near a computer when txting abroad

:)

irish-stew wrote: »

You're misunderstanding him. You install my program on your phone and instead of writing a text normally you write it in my program.
    It then gets uploaded to my website which forwards it on to the o2 website and uses your webtexts to send it. It's all automatic, all you have to do is write the text, enter the number to send to (or you can pick one from your phone book) and hit send

The only charge you pay is the data charge which is about 2c per text. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Oh right, I wasn't sure if you were Vodafone, O2 etc as you didn't say before now. As I mentioned, you don't have to be near a computer to send texts, you do it all form your handset.

What is it about 3's price plans that has you tempted?

You're misunderstanding him. You install my program on your phone and instead of writing a text normally you write it in my program.
    It then gets uploaded to my website which forwards it on to the o2 website and uses your webtexts to send it. It's all automatic, all you have to do is write the text, enter the number to send to (or you can pick one from your phone book) and hit send

The only charge you pay is the data charge which is about 2c per text. :)

i understand that bit, i was quoting his reference to 250 free webtxts

;)

i understand that bit, i was quoting his reference to 250 free webtxts

;)

I know you were. You can use them from your phone with my program for about 2c per text instead of 39c or whatever the normal international text charge is. You don't need to be at a computer. Unless I'm missing your point still?

Basically my program logs into the o2 website for you and sends a webtext. And you install the program on your phone so you can use it anywhere

There's also a desktop version. Maybe that's where the confusion is?

Oh right, I wasn't sure if you were Vodafone, O2 etc as you didn't say before now. As I mentioned, you don't have to be near a computer to send texts, you do it all form your handset.

What is it about 3's price plans that has you tempted?

it's the savings on international calls, being able to use half the units to dial the UK and NI whilst here and whilst roaming in the UK and NI. and roam as if at home

currently have an old add on with o2 , something like 25mins international for €7.50, and am always going over it (something like 25c for every min over). have seen their current add on, €2 or €3/month and all UK and NI calls 25c/min. after doinf the maths didn't think their was a huge difference between the two

like the look of '3' price plan where you can use your units for either talk or txt, am more of talker, would send less than 40 or 50 irish txts a month, plan i'm looking at with '3' is cheeper than my similar o2 plan

even i was sending international txts with 3, over all i would probably still be paying less than i am currently with o2, but not sure if i had to deal with their customer services, would it be worth it

• Advertisement

Basically my program logs into the o2 website for you and sends a webtext. And you install the program on your phone so you can use it anywhere

There's also a desktop version. Maybe that's where the confusion is?

i use the the desk top version when near a computer, ie, via the o2 website site, dont pay for the txts, just use my broadband connection. i assume if using your application the txts are still free, i'm just paying the data charge for accessing 3g from my handset

i use the the desk top version when near a computer, ie, via the o2 website site, dont pay for the txts, just use my broadband connection. i assume if using your application the txts are still free, i'm just paying the data charge for accessing 3g from my handset
    That's right. No money goes to me. The only charges are data charges to upload the info to the website and receive the response, the response being how many messages you have left

It won't work on all phones. What type of phone do you have?

currently have an SE k800i, not sure what i'd go with if i went with '3', would like either a SE905, samsung pixon (havn't seen '3' do them), or one of the nokia slide phones

currently have an SE k800i, not sure what i'd go with if i went with '3', would like either a SE905, samsung pixon (havn't seen '3' do them), or one of the nokia slide phones

It'll work fine on any sony ericsson phone or nokia. You might have issues with a samsung but in theory it should

You can try it out for yourself here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.5

You can go to that link directly in your phone but it would cost data charges to download it. Instead you can download it to your computer and transfer it to your phone

It should work as soon as you enter your phone number, password and pick o2 but if it says it can't connect, go into menu-settings-connectivity-internet settings-settings for java

And make sure they're set up to use the same as the normal browser (assuming your normal browser works)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 1sttimebuild

I have been with Three for a few years now ported from vodafone the only time i'm in contact with them is when they contact me about my upgrade every ten months. So I haven't had any problems with them, the rates a better than other networks and a big plus for me is they have skypeout on the mobile which lets me call international at local rates and people in other countries call me for free on my mobile. I would reccomend the E71 just got it a few weeks ago and best phone I've ever used.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Declan1

OP,

I'm counting down the days until my 3 contract ends, have had an awful experience with them for the last 11 months. I use the phone a lot in the UK. The coverage is very patchy in Northern Ireland. Also, you can't lock your phone onto the 3 network abroad, it always reverts back to automatic network selection so you find yourself paying roaming charges regularly. Unfortunately I've spent a lot of time talking to customer services about 2 faulty phones, repeated repairs and the bad coverage, I find them very hard work. About 2 months back I decided to just stick it out and not bother calling them again until it's time to find a new network. Like I said, I spend a lot of time in the UK and I think I'm going to go with O2.

Just my 2c.

Advertisement