Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

latest info on strike

Options
  • 28-03-2009 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

not sure if this will work as i am having problems posting threads at the moment.... anyway can anyone tell me about this strike on monday? is it likely that buildings will close as i hav heard? also is this affecting the library...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

oh yay it worked! sorry i know there is already a post on the strike but whenever i tried to reply to it (all week) it wouldnt let me :( anyways any info wil be great because i dont want to go the whole way to dublin monday and have nowhere to study, if i should stay at home, but also dont want to miss any lectures that might be takin place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

oh yay it worked! sorry i know there is already a post on the strike but whenever i tried to reply to it (all week) it wouldnt let me :( anyways any info wil be great because i dont want to go the whole way to dublin monday and have nowhere to study, if i should stay at home, but also dont want to miss any lectures that might be takin place

The staff strike is off AFAIK - I can guarantee you that you'll find somewhere to study on campus on Monday regardless of student action. As for the buildings closing I seriously doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

the buildings will still be open

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

thanks guys :) i was just a bit confused there because iv been hearing so much lately about it.... i dont want to be one to cross a picket line but at the same time need to get work done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

as far as i know the lecturers will be there too for anyone who wants to go to lectures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 crashers

im going to my lectures tomorrow but im just wondering will the protesters be shouting stuff at those that do go to lectures? (dont kill me if its a stupid question)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

crashers wrote: »
    im going to my lectures tomorrow but im just wondering will the protesters be shouting stuff at those that do go to lectures? (dont kill me if its a stupid question)

Nope, it's a fair question and I'd also like to know the deal. Am I going to get abused by going to Lectures?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Nope, it's a fair question and I'd also like to know the deal. Am I going to get abused by going to Lectures?

Most likely.

It's ridiculous though that they'd have the strike this close to the end of the year, and more importantly finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

It'd be fairly stupid of them if they do, since they spent the whole year chanting "Education is a right, not a privelege". Stopping or trying to prevent people from attending lectures would be contradictory of them.
    I don't see how exactly this strike will be effective, especially since the majority of students a) don't know about it and b) the majority of those who do will still attend their lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

It'd be fairly stupid of them if they do, since they spent the whole year chanting "Education is a right, not a privelege". Stopping or trying to prevent people from attending lectures would be contradictory of them.
    I don't see how exactly this strike will be effective, especially since the majority of students a) don't know about it and b) the majority of those who do will still attend their lectures.

I can see them heckling etc but if they try and forcibly stop anyone from entering/leaving the campus then it's gone way too far.

Tomorrow will be interesting either way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

As mandated by 82% of the student body, the UCDSU is organising a shutdown of the college tomorrow (Monday 30th). This day was picked because this was when the ICTU were having their day of action, however this has been deferred.

The UCDSU are asking all students not to attend classes and instead join in activties organised by the union during the day including film showings, talks, rallies, gigs, marches etc..

I hope no one will "heckling" students who decide to go to class.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

I'll be going to class (waiting for the youtube videos of people getting books thrown at them! :rolleyes:).

So just so we are clear, ALL lecturers and tutorial tutors are going ahead with their classes? There's no union or anything encouraging them to strike anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭shanegj

I'm not sure if all lectures will be going ahead because services in the science building said that th. A is not being used for academic reasons so its been used all day for a society event

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

A lot of tutorials might be cancelled, because most tutors are students themselves.
    The tutorials I teach should be going ahead as usual, although I don't expect attendance to be high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

As a tutor I've heard nothing at all about what is or is not on. I'll simply have to go in, and whether students turn up or not go with that. It is very confusing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

I'll be going to class! Fight those greedy Union fat cats! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

1968 wrote: »
    As mandated by 82% of the student body

82% of voters, amounting to I believe about 20% of the student body.

I hope so, I really do. Will be attending all my lectures anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

everyone posting here seems to be going in and as a first year arts student im not really worried as I don't need an excuse to stay at home!! but i was wondering is anybody not going in because of this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Raphael wrote: »
    I hope so, I really do. Will be attending all my lectures anyway.

I may have misinterpreted this but are you saying that you hope protestors will be abusing people going to lectures?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

1968 wrote: »
    As mandated by 82% of the student body,

Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument, eh? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

passive wrote: »
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good argument, eh? ;)

Lefty Loosey , Righty Tighty ! I have yet to meet an anarcist group or a right wing group use facts to support up a point.

On another note, im pretty sure UCDSU will not support or allow the heckling of students who attend lectures.This thread should not attempt to put the idea in the heads of people here that the SU would ever act in that fashion. It is a good idea that this protest is being held but a purely voluntary basis. Lectures will go on as normal as the staff strike has been called off. Just another day in UCD folks.

I give this protest my +1 but unfortunately I will not be attending. I have an assignment due :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Kat Slater

I won't be attending any protests, I have better things to be getting on with. It will be interesting to see the turnout. I'm in final year and I don't know anyone in my class who is prepared to give up 4 hours of lectures this soon before the exams, especially when it's for something like this. Most people don't actually give a flying monkeys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

€5 says the attendance is less than 1/2 the amount who voted for the strike!

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I may have misinterpreted this but are you saying that you hope protestors will be abusing people going to lectures?:confused:
    Yes, specifically I hope some little twit tries to stop me. It would be most entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

samsamson wrote: »
    I'll be going to class (waiting for the youtube videos of people getting books thrown at them! :rolleyes:).

So just so we are clear, ALL lecturers and tutorial tutors are going ahead with their classes? There's no union or anything encouraging them to strike anymore?

I know that all law tutorials are supposed to be going ahead as planned, and all lectures in every field are going ahead as was said already..
    hughbrady wrote: »
    <Off-topic rantings>

Seriously, why isn't this deleted? every thread about the strike, or anything remotely related to fees, ends up as a debate on fees.. There's a thread for that..

muffinman wrote: »
    Seriously, why isn't this deleted? every thread about the strike, or anything remotely related to fees, ends up as a debate on fees.. There's a thread for that..
    Because I'm not omniscient and didn't see it? S'gone now, as it was completely off-topic ranting.

For future reference, there;s a report post button that alerts mods directly to problem posts, if you could use that in future it would make our life easier. kthxbye

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Raphael wrote: »
    Because I'm not omniscient and didn't see it? S'gone now, as it was completely off-topic ranting.

For future reference, there;s a report post button that alerts mods directly to problem posts, if you could use that in future it would make our life easier. kthxbye

sorry sorry :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hughbrady

Seeing as my other post got deleted, I'd like to say (for the record) that nobody had better stop me on my way to the library today or they'll get a piece of my mind.

That said, I've been in since eight and nobody's been around yet. Maybe hippies don't get up early...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

hughbrady wrote: »
    Seeing as my other post got deleted, I'd like to say (for the record) that nobody had better stop me on my way to the library today or they'll get a piece of my mind.

That said, I've been in since eight and nobody's been around yet. Maybe hippies don't get up early...

but you are already there? how could they stop you on your way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 hughbrady

Grimes wrote: »
    but you are already there? how could they stop you on your way?

'Cause I'm in college but not yet in the library.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Looks like I was right, hippies DO sleep in :D

Advertisement